the RAT is not visible from inside the air itake. The currecnt one by Maestro is too deep for the Tarangus kit, I will try to scratchbuilt my own

So, trying to keep score here... Does that officially mean that *none* of the existing resin bits fit the Tarangus kit? This thread on BM seems to discount the cockpit, exhaust and engine. The Maestro wheels apparently aren't great. I can't imagine the vac canopy or tail fold fitting if the RAT doesn't... Sigh. I figured the detail sets were all taken care of. Maybe I should give it another look.

Questioning about sizes... Which is the correct one?

That is the question.... I can compare some key features later, my gut feeling is that the ESCI is far off...

the RAT is not visible from inside the air itake. The currecnt one by Maestro is too deep for the Tarangus kit, I will try to scratchbuilt my own

2q1t4kl.jpg

I´m considering building the rat into the outside of the trunking... probably the best way (something that Tarangus could have done easily and it´+s there on eery version of Viggen...no way around it!)

So, trying to keep score here... Does that officially mean that *none* of the existing resin bits fit the Tarangus kit? This thread on BM seems to discount the cockpit, exhaust and engine. The Maestro wheels apparently aren't great. I can't imagine the vac canopy or tail fold fitting if the RAT doesn't... Sigh. I figured the detail sets were all taken care of. Maybe I should give it another look.

Mmm...pretty much so, the Maestro wheels are better than the ones in the box..so they are usable actully.....and the Master pitot tubes should work too.

The bang seat needed a little sanding before it fit. The Neomega pit won´t fit either.

If someone out there is interested...this is what´s needed for Generic Viggen: wheels, bang seats,RAT and air brakes Specific for JA: early cockpit, Di cockpit, antennaes, exhaust. Specific AJ: cockpit, exhaust. specific SK: Tandem cockpit specific SH: cockpit Specific SF: Cockpit

Great start, but kit is way to overpriced damn :bandhead2:/>

Thanx Mario

Great start. Keep it up.

Thanx Mikkod :D

No, of course not, but what I meant was that the space between the trunking and the fuselage might be smaller than it is in real life. I wanted to check if the Tarangus kit is 100% accurate in the way they portray the intake trunking as two separate channels for such a long distance. I have a hunch they might meet and go together in to a single pipe a bit sooner than on the kit. But I don´t know. If they do, there is probably more space for RAT-interior. Not that the Maestro part will be usable, but as it is now there is hardly any space to fit even something scratch built in there.

hey! I made measures for the Master pitot, please send complaints directly to me! :rolleyes:/>

LOL....I said the Master pitot tube was usable for the Tarangus :P

No, of course not, but what I meant was that the space between the trunking and the fuselage might be smaller than it is in real life. I wanted to check if the Tarangus kit is 100% accurate in the way they portray the intake trunking as two separate channels for such a long distance. I have a hunch they might meet and go together in to a single pipe a bit sooner than on the kit. But I don´t know. If they do, there is probably more space for RAT-interior. Not that the Maestro part will be usable, but as it is now there is hardly any space to fit even something scratch built in there.

The interior isn´t that important relly..just needs some knobs and cables to look nice...the visible thing is the generator poping out on the hatch... shouldn´t be too hard to fix either.. I´ll cook up a solution.

I kidnap this thread for a little while, Janne. I hope this is ok. Dear readers, Janne and I just spend the better part of the day at Aeroseum in Gothenburg, photographing the Viggen aircraft they have on display there.

One of the questions I wanted answered was if the intake trunks of the kit has the right shape or not. Why does this matter you ask? Well, the Viggen carries an emergency electrical generator in the shape of a small wind turbine (RAT) that is automatically deployed when the landing gears are lowered. This small device "lives" inside the left side of the fuselage between the outer shell and the outside wall of the intake trunking on the left. The trunking in the Tarangus kit leaves very little room for the RAT compartment, which contains a lot of other pipes and stuff as well as the RAT when it is stowed. In the Tarangus kit the trunking remains separated all the way until the forward/rear fuselage break. I was certain it joined to become a straight cylinder a bit before this break, and ta-daa:

DSC9916.jpg

The RAT lives just on the other side of the bulkhead, on the left side.

DSC9942.jpg

This is the RAT, in this case on a AJSH 37 Viggen, but they are quite similar.

Anyway, there are more detail pics here if anyone is interested: http://www.plasticwarfare.se/2014/11/viggen-details/

Beware that they show a mix of versions, AJS, AJSH, JA 37 and JA 37D. They are also museum pieces, so things might be broken, missing and so on. Janne and I took a fem measurements also, which I hope he has on photo documentation, so stay tuned for more "interesting facts" (like that the main tyres are about 19 cm thick).

There... I've up loaded the pics to my putor at least.

Brought fourth the caliper and took a look at the RAT hatch..... in real life it's some 49cmx40cm, that's pretty much 10mm x 8mm in 1/48th scale.

With that it's clear the Tarangus hatch is a bit small......and it looks like the diameter for the fan front is too big

Edited by Aigore

Upon seeing that pic above it immediately brought back memories of my visit there last September.

Regarding the required space for RAT - we are facing here the fact, that there cannot be a 100% accurate model. And not for the fact that Tarangus forgot or deliberately left out the RAT, but due to the fact of scale thickness - Manufacturers will never be able to make plastic so thin (and still usable to our hobby) to be accurate. Even 1mm in 1:48 becomes almost 5cm in real life and that would make one very heavy Viggen. But I am sure Janne will figure it out how to cut and deepen the RAT compartment ;)

I just hope Tarangus will treat us with 1:72 version as well - J-29 is a little gem!

Oh, it's just a thing to overcome. The descision I have to.make is wether I'll go with the existing small hatch or if I'll make it bigger...the problem with making it bigger is that I then have to adjust the panel lines as well.

This certainly seem both like a issue of scale compression, as well as the actual limitations of space due to the thickness of the model plastic. At some point you just run out of workable room.

My brother models in 1/32 scale, while I have remained true to 1/48 scale. He just built the Tamiya 1/32 scale F4U-1, while I had previously built Tamiya's 1/48 scale offering a few years ago. The difference in detail, workable space, and the fidelity to scale is really quite apparent.

Joel

there is a point I'm still missing here: in the Tarangus kit do we have the dept to scratchbuild a RAM bay or the air intake will deny it?

I was hoping to scratchbuild a RAM bay and door thinner than the one by Maestro but if there is no space between fuselage and air intake we can only consider to build this kit in flight mode....with gears up!

there is a point I'm still missing here: in the Tarangus kit do we have the dept to scratchbuild a RAM bay or the air intake will deny it?

I was hoping to scratchbuild a RAM bay and door thinner than the one by Maestro but if there is no space between fuselage and air intake we can only consider to build this kit in flight mode....with gears up!

There is room...but not for as a extensive build as the resin RAT, tinking of building the RAT innards onto the outside of the airduct itself, then make a thin hatch from plasticard and put the generator on it.

The question is to enlarge the hatch or not....

I´ll crack that nut when it hits me....still planing on the cockpit layout....

Soon I´ll be cutting some plastic again.

Next I tried the bang seat...and waddya know, it´s too big....I´m getting the feeling that the old ESCI kit was a wee bit fat!

Not sure about the old ESCI being fat. All my 1/48 jet pilot figures from Tamiya, Hasegawa, and Revell fit in the Maestro resit seat, so the seat might be correct. You can also measure the width of the real seat to calculate the width of the 1/48 version ;)/>/>

On the other hand, ESCI/Aifix got the canards and vertical fin right. I have a gut feeling the Tarangus Viggen is slightly undersized. The real Viggen is a fairly large aircraft.

Edited by RichardL

Not sure about the old ESCI being fat. All my 1/48 jet pilot figures from Tamiya, Hasegawa, and Revell fit in the Maestro resit seat, so the seat might be correct. You can also measure the width of the real seat to calculate the width of the 1/48 version ;)/>/>/>

On the other hand, ESCI/Aifix got the canards and vertical fin right. I have a gut feeling the Tarangus Viggen is slightly undersized. The real Viggen is a fairly large aircraft.

I haven't meassured everything but I've compared the measurements of the canard flaps and the tarangus kit is in the ball park there at least. Of course I forgot to meassure the seat.... I'll check the wingspan later.

I'm following this one closely Janne..I know you'll do your usual superb job on the build B) . This is very cool every since it first flew, this has been a favorite aircraft of mine, the planform, Canards, just the whole thing oozes....COOLNESS :punk:

Edited by #1 Greywolf