Looking at the kit I was hoping for some of the older issues to be fixed, but alas it is still the same kit with just a new Navy sprue and decals. The other sprues added to the kit are from the MH-60G and MH-60L DAP kits. This gives you the shortened ESSS wings, Hellfire Missiles, 2.75 Rocket tubes, M-134 Miniguns and the M2 .50Cal, and external rescue hoist. The new sprues that make it the MH-60S are very well done, there are some things that Academy has added that can be used on some of the other kits like the rotor brake for the cockpit can be used in both the MH-60G/L as well as some other smaller parts. Missing from the kit are the Flare buckets that are on the tailboom that are angular boxes, those would have been a nice addition. Looking at reference pics of the cockpit Academy did their homework, with the IP and lower console, not much to add there except maybe the parking brake lever on the pilot’s side above the collective. The new FLIR turret is well made and there are three styles of nose platforms to choose from. The pilots doors will need to be cut out from the fuselage in order to add the Navy style as will the back part of the tail to add the CMWS fairing. There are new step fairings as well and the kit gives you options depending on the version you are building. The decals are awesome and give you three options, the colorful box art version from HSC-9, HSC-21 with a huge Eagles head on the tail, and HSC-28 in markings for COMSIXTHFLT Admirals helo. The rest of the decals are airframe and weapons stenciling and are in perfect register. From pics I have seen on Navy.mil the M2 has a different mount than what is in the model so either scratchbuilding is in order or wait for aftermarket resin options. With slight modification of the IP this kit can be made into the UH-60M prior to the UES exhaust. The problem of the exhaust with this kit is still the same but I have come up with an easy fix that I think will solve the problem and give the exhaust the proper droop. I will post that in a later article.

IMG_20141118_125812_293.jpg

IMG_20141118_120012_048.jpg

IMG_20141118_120019_909.jpg

IMG_20141118_120024_500.jpg

IMG_20141118_120029_921.jpg

IMG_20141118_120035_241.jpg

IMG_20141118_120046_840.jpg

IMG_20141118_120052_042.jpg

IMG_20141118_120055_897.jpg

IMG_20141118_120101_217.jpg

Sorry to say straight from the horses mouth but Im glad you have a little bit of the -60 platform in your background....hee hee! Thanks for the review! Any suggestions on reference material for a newbie to helo building? Thanks!

All the hillbillies in Dothan on the ground say Hi! Keep flying brother!

-JIm

I got mine last week. Knew it was too much to expect that they would really fix some of the issues with the kit. Also a little disappointed that they didn't include the big angular dispenser boxes. Maybe Eduard will include them in a PE set. Also, plan on replacing the forward window guns with some of the Live Resin M240H Blackhawk window guns and mounts. Still, it's a nice kit and a welcome addition to the Blackhawk family.

This particular model the S isnt set up for Sub hunting like the earlier others, this is designed for Carrier replentishment, SAR, Medevac, VIP basically took the General Support mission of the Army and painted it Grey

Getting closer to being able to build a USCG MH-60J. I noticed the more recent Navy Hawks have the rear landing gear on the tail. Is this now standard?

Chris...when new parts available?

I am working on them right now. I have new seats, the cabin support walls, engine inlets already existing. The 50 cal door gun mounts are completed and I am using an existing gun and cradle. The ammo boxes are complete. I need to detail the extended range tank and make the new chaff buckets for the tail boom. I am contemplating including existing tail sensor mounts that I believe are better than what is supplied in the kit however what they have in the kit doesn't match what I am seeing pictures. I have to be sure of that first. Maybe December?

Chris M