A 1/72nd C-17 Globemaster - the hard way.

In a moment of sheer madness over the weekend I dug this out of the stash and thought to myself 'it can't be that bad, can it?'

Combat Models are notorious for being, well, hard combat to to build, but I don't get on with resin and I like a challenge so here goes...

The 'kit' is rather basic and the plastic is just a little thicker than fag-paper. It's also covered in ripples, bumps, throughs and dips so the surface will need a lot of preparation. Panel detail is non-existent, but should be fairly straightforward to add.

Here's the fuselage:

S1030063_zpsc2af681c.jpg

The first problem I encountered (it didn't take long) was the fact that the left wing-root is further forward than the right:

S1030262_zps0f3931f5.jpg

There also appears to be another major problem with the fuselage, as when I compared the scaled up measurements to the Revell 1/144th scale kit, the wings are an inch too far forward on the Combat kit, so the whole wing root area needs moving back.

First job was to cut the wing root out completely:

S1030264_zpse248c4d1.jpg

An inch was removed from the rear of this section:

S1030265_zps8522a339.jpg

The fuselage was lined with card at the join, and the wing root reattached an inch further aft:

S1030267_zpsae427249.jpg

The piece removed earlier was then reinstated to plug the gap, and now the wing sits in the correct position (see the unaltered fuselage half above):

S1030270_zps50f425aa.jpg

With the plastic being so thin, a vast amount of reinforcement is need for the interior so the kit can support itself and the weight of the wings etc. This has all been added with plastic card bulkheads:

S1030274_zpsae9070ba.jpg

I now have something starting to resemble a C-17 fuselage...

S1030275_zps7bd26f91.jpg

...but there's going to be a long journey ahead.

Tom

Wow...just wow. A look at your recent projects, and your website shows you're a master modeler :worship: .

It will be good to watch you do this for things that I can aspire to, even on the injection and resin kits that I muddle through...

Wow...just wow. A look at your recent projects, and your website shows you're a master modeler :worship:/> .

It will be good to watch you do this for things that I can aspire to, even on the injection and resin kits that I muddle through...

I wouldn't go that far, but I do like a challenge!

Tom

Kurt - there's no real secret to making the bulkheads. The fuselage is roughly circular so it was just a case of measuring the diameter and using a circular cutter to make plastic card bulkheads to the correct size. Lots of test fitting, sanding, re-testfitting, sanding etc and when at the correct size they are simply stuck into place.

There's been some good progress this week on the C-17 - it's taking a while but I did expect that when I started this project!

I've joined the fuselage halves which was quite a challenge. The bulkheads have worked well and kept everything nice and rigid, but as you can see from the picture below the fuselage halves are different lengths. I used the wing centre-section as my point of alignment as keeping the wings level is a must - however the tailcone will need some serious work; the fuselage parts are not only different lengths but completely different shapes:

S1030288_zps84aff5b3.jpg

The profile of the nose and cockpit areas are also well off when compared to the Revell 1/144th kit, so I removed the cockpit area and fuselage crown, reprofiled it and then reattached it. I'm hoping the remaining shape issues will be remedied by a good session with some filler:

S1030279_zps51ac29b0.jpg

It now has the distinctive narrowing towards the front end, rather than being too bulbous as the original profile was:

S1030292_zps188960a1.jpg

When I'm happy with the fuselage shape I will once again remove the flightdeck area from the model and work on scratch-building the cockpit interior. When completed, the flightdeck roof can be reattached.

I've now applied liberal amounts of automotive filler to the model, which will help greatly the reprofiling of the nose and repositioned wing roots:

S1030293_zps3d094bc7.jpg

S1030294_zpseba2be48.jpg

S1030298_zpsad8cc6a4.jpg

Looks like I'll be settling in for a session or two with the wet and dry...

Until next time,

Tom

Wow. I think you made that look way easier than it really was.

It's really not that difficult - just a case of patience and perseverance... in that order!

A good session with the sandpaper this evening... the repositioned wing-root and reprofiled nose has blended in well. A few patches of filler have covered some blemishes:

S1030300_zpse5653744.jpg

S1030301_zps563974e9.jpg

S1030303_zps8ced8d96.jpg

S1030305_zps124452ce.jpg

S1030310_zps0c22b6d6.jpg

The mis-shapen tail cone has almost been beaten into submission:

S1030308_zps9218e15c.jpg

Undercarriage sponsons... hmmmm... should be interesting:

S1030313_zpsce694528.jpg

Tom

A little more progress for you this evening...

I've cut the sponsons out of the backing sheet and sanded them to shape, as well as removing the undercarriage door in preparation for scratch-building the wheel bays:

S1030324_zps25e7e0d0.jpg

The fit to the fuselage itself is remarkably good - all that was needed was a little careful trimming and sanding. These shots show them taped roughly into position - more exact measurements will be needed when it comes to attaching them properly:

S1030321_zps27528215.jpg

S1030318_zps29249912.jpg

S1030317_zps31da2534.jpg

S1030315_zps477324cf.jpg

It certainly looks more C-17-like with the sponsons in place.

Tom

Working with vacuform kits, especially problematic ones like this really test the limits of your skill sets not to mention your patience.

I am amazed and inspired with what you have done so far! I also want to compliment you on your other works -- you are an inspiration!

Great work, sir!

Working with vacuform kits, especially problematic ones like this really test the limits of your skill sets not to mention your patience.

I am amazed and inspired with what you have done so far! I also want to compliment you on your other works -- you are an inspiration!

Great work, sir!

Many thanks - there's no real special skill to it really, just be willing to have a go and enjoy it!

First coat of filler primer tonight... looks like it'll need a few more:

S1030330_zpsf390648b.jpg

S1030331_zpsecceb2ca.jpg

S1030334_zps773dcb8d.jpg

Fun, fun, fun!

Tom

Brilliant work! I do have to say I like the work inside the fuselage. I'm staring at my CP-140 (still on the sheets), and was contemplating using expanding foam in areas that wouldn't be seen, but I really must say that your approach is nice, neat, and I'm sure saving the landing gear a lot of weight to deal with later on.

What type of filler primer do you use? Thanks

Brilliant work! I do have to say I like the work inside the fuselage. I'm staring at my CP-140 (still on the sheets), and was contemplating using expanding foam in areas that wouldn't be seen, but I really must say that your approach is nice, neat, and I'm sure saving the landing gear a lot of weight to deal with later on.

What type of filler primer do you use? Thanks

I'm always nervous about using foam - I've seen horror stories of it getting hot, melting the plastic, over-exapanding and generally making a right mess! I stick to what I know and that's plastic card bulkheads. Nice and strong, as well as being light.

The filler-primer is automotive paint. Here in the UK it's from Halfords, but I imagine most automotive paint brands have something similar. It goes on in nice thick layers, and once dry (about 30mins) sands beautifully to fill any surface imperfections. The plastic on this kit is quite rough and it'll need a few applications by the look of it.

Tom

The C-17 has had two more coats of filler primer today, with a light sanding in between and the fuselage is finally at a stage where I'm happy with it. The primer has covered the multiple dimples and ridges and has left me a lovely smooth surface ready for scribing and adding surface detail when the time comes.

The repositioned wing root area and reprofiled cockpit area have blended in beautifully and it's now impossible to tell that they've been moved and modified at all:

DSC_0130.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

Some general shots of the fuselage:

DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

Tools of the trade for today's session:

DSC_0136.jpg

And it's always important to have a willing assistant: meet Alfred!

DSC_0137.jpg

Work can now continue on the sponsons and undercarriage bays.

Until next time,

Tom

I really appreciate this build. I'm working a project with similar frustrations and seeing your success gives me encouragement.

Thanks Major... glad to know I'm inspiring someone!

Evening all :)/>

I've been working on getting the undercarriage sponsons attached to the fuselage over the last few sessions. After working out exactly where they're positioned (using Revell's 1/144th scale kit) work began by adding some basic detail to the fuselage sides which form part of the wheels bays:

S1030337_zps6944ef98.jpg

The sponsons themselves had some structural detail added to box in the bays, add the small intakes on the front edges made from plastic card and the APU exhaust added to the right side. The small doors on the outer sides were opened up, too:

S1030340_zps6a195438.jpg

Once this was complete, they were given a final trimming and sanding and added to the fuselage sides. A quick lick of filler and they were on:

S1030346_zpsd8ac07bf.jpg

S1030348_zps9defea1b.jpg

S1030351_zpsdf2298ed.jpg

S1030352_zps5efdb8d7.jpg

S1030355_zpsdedc95f8.jpg

Next up is the fin...

S1030344_zpsb5464659.jpg

Until next time,

Tom

Hi Tommy,

Incredible work on your C-17. I started a Shack from Sanger in 1/48th and when I see your job, I want to put mine in the trash :bandhead2:

For the sponsons, did you know that the C-17 have one longer then the other ? (the right if I remember correctly)

After moving the wing root, it'll not be a difficult task for you :worship:

Damien

Hi Tommy,

Incredible work on your C-17. I started a Shack from Sanger in 1/48th and when I see your job, I want to put mine in the trash :bandhead2:/>

For the sponsons, did you know that the C-17 have one longer then the other ? (the right if I remember correctly)

After moving the wing root, it'll not be a difficult task for you :worship:/>

Damien

Hi Damien,

I too have built the Sanger Shackleton, I did mine as an AEW2. Was great fun! I'm glad to hear there's another madman out there!

You're absolutely right about the starboard sponson. The Combat kit does have it longer, although I'm not convinced it's quite long enough when compared to the Revell kit. I may or may not do something about it - it may be more hassle than it's worth.

Tom

Tommy,

I just read through your entire build to date, and I'm speechless. Your work is incrediable. The higher one's skill level, the easier he makes the work seem. I've been modeling for a long time to know just how difficult it really is to do what you're doing.

Joel