A 1/72nd C-17 Globemaster - the hard way.

+ ^ what Joel said. I know it was going to be big but looking at the nacel in your hand compared to my 1/144 that thing is a monster. Christ whats the wing span on the thing. Has to be about 2 foot 6 across. I just did calculations and yup It's Big. Great job so far more talent than I have by far. Can't wait for more updates.

Yes it is rather large! It makes moving it around the bench a bit of a challenge! It's actually quite small in comparison to some of the builds I've done - a 1/32nd scale B-29 really did push me to the limit and storing it is not easy!

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been rather slow of late on the engines as I've been rather busy at work and they have simply been a right pain in the backside to get them anywhere near presentable.

I have earlier removed the pylons from the main engine nacelles at it made working on each section a good deal easier. Here's the parts removed from the backing sheet and ready for action:

S1030052_zpsesp8ndnv.jpg

Much sanding later, they began to take on the shape of the real aircraft. I had to do a good deal of trimming, test fitting, sanding, filing, more test fitting, more trimming... you get the idea... to get the pylons leaving the leading edge at the right angle. Here are the pylon halves, now roughly the correct shape, ready for joining together:

S1030054_zpsevxmpzrg.jpg

The exhaust cones were then removed from the backing sheet and trimmed to shape. The resin fan blades are part of the Combat Models 'detail set' that came with the kit - not sure what they're modelled on, but once fitted snugly inside the exhaust cone they give it a reasonably busy look and at least stops them from being completely hollow:

S1030057_zpscrqpuucq.jpg

It was then a case of adding the nacelle to the pylon. The lower shape of the pylon was completely off so I ended up removing it altogether and building it up with plastic card and filler. The reverser fairings were once again sculpted from Milliput and added to each side of the pylon above the rear of the nacelle, which also had a little final reshaping:

S1030067_zpsyudrrqgl.jpg

S1030061_zpsglsman4p.jpg

And now all that's needed is a coat or two of primer and some scribing:

S1030074_zps4fvcblbs.jpg

S1030070_zps8cdyna79.jpg

Until next time,

Tom

Edited by TommyP

Tom, I've only just come into this thread for the first time and I'm both blown away and inspired. I'm working - well, not for a month or so - on a vac 1/72 WW2 twin which has given me trouble, but seeing this has really inspired me to get back into it. What a project, and what a useful guide for newbie vac builders like myself.

Awesome.

Tom, I've only just come into this thread for the first time and I'm both blown away and inspired. I'm working - well, not for a month or so - on a vac 1/72 WW2 twin which has given me trouble, but seeing this has really inspired me to get back into it. What a project, and what a useful guide for newbie vac builders like myself.

Awesome.

Many thanks - and that's the exact reason why I post builds like this. Many are put off by vacs and my aim is to prove that actually they're not all that hard so I'm glad it's got you re-inspired!

Amazing work! How did you manage to get these units identical to one another?

Thank you - to be honest it was nothing more complex than a the Mk1 eyeball and a set of dividers. In truth they're probably not identical, but good enough for the naked eye!

Tommy,

As usual your work is truly outstanding. You continue to make such precise work look way too easy. Looking forward to your next update.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Evening all!

After a good deal of head scratching, swearing, questioning my own sanity and... you get the idea... the engines have finally been mounted on the wings. I've scribed on some basic panel detail, with more to be added once they've been filled and sanded and the joins made good:

DSC_0020_zpsreflfk0z.jpg

DSC_0031_zps9cn2thew.jpg

DSC_0040_zpsiaohvitr.jpg

I'm really pleased how the 'blob' I started with is slowly taking on the shape of a C-17:

DSC_0047_zpsfp5zbmps.jpg

DSC_0036_zps0nhmmbw3.jpg

DSC_0035_zps4biw0bv2.jpg

DSC_0033_zpsxle3ozqs.jpg

The intakes are too round to be honest, but life's too short and there simply is no alternative other than building the engine completely from scratch. The next task is to finish shaping the upper portions of the pylons which will be done with Milliput and blending them into the wing.

Until next time,

Tom

Tommy,

From a modelers perspective, your C-17 build has from day one been on the cutting edge. I for one have enjoyed each and every step of the way. With the additions of the engines, it's really starting to take on a personality of it's own.

Joel

Beautiful, Tommy, just beautiful. Now I really, really want a Revell 1/144 C-17.

Many thanks - the Revell kit is a beauty and has been used as a guide throughout this build. It's also rather more manageable in size compared to this monster!

Tom

Edited by TommyP

Tom,

Talk about monsters. I have a 1/48 scale PBY-5A that's been in the planning stage for what seems like forever, as I just can't figure out where to display this beast if I ever get it built.

Joel

Tom,

Talk about monsters. I have a 1/48 scale PBY-5A that's been in the planning stage for what seems like forever, as I just can't figure out where to display this beast if I ever get it built.

Joel

You should try storing a 1-32 B-29..!

Tommy, you mentioned earlier on that in some places the plastic was paper thin. When you applied the sandable primer, did this have any affect on the thin spots? Did it soften or distort those areas?

Thanks!

Walt

Yes the plastic is very thin indeed, but the filler primer had no adverse affects at all. It's actually helped a good deal in strengthening the whole model as has a added a mm or two which was built up over multiple thin coats.

Tom