Been away awhile...

Well after nearly a 7 year hiatus, I am just gathering up supplies and going through stuff before I get started. Pretty much all my MV lenses have turned yellow over the years!! I had about 300 of these. I have quite a few jars of Tamiya acrylics and MM enamels. Some of these paints have dried up after 10 yrs. or so, however, some are perfect. Obviously the dried up paints have been disposed of. I have 3 new jars of Mr. Surfacer which looks perfect and Alclads which seem very usable. My question is what exactly is the shelf life of this stuff and is it ok to use. I don't mind throwing away a $2.50 jar of paint, but the not the pricey Alclad or Mr. Surfacer. I also have two triangular tubes of MM unused cement which seems perfect. Is this stuff ok to use?

My second question is what type of putty are we using these days? I used to use the green stuff from Squadron but I'm sure there is better today.

Thanks guys! -EJ

Concerning enamel paints, I have been using tinlets of old Revell paint, which must have been produced in the early 1980s. However, they have not been opened until I used them, or the lid was kept clean. Model Master enamels also tend to get bad after a few years if there is some paint on the seal of the lid. I would suggest straining old paint before using in an airbrush.

I am still using a bottle of liquid glue (Revell Contacta Professional) since at least 1994, haven't noticed a difference.

Green Squadron putty is still good, especially if you thin it. I am using automotive putty, as well as Mr. Surfacer 500 for filling. Dissolved styrene works fine, too. But every modeler has his own favourite flavor, so try and see what you like the best.

Edited by Lancer512

I will add one item about enamels. You can't re-constitute enamel paints like you can lacquer paints. If I have an old bottle of MM enamel paint that has turned into goo (my fault because I didn't clean the lid and bottle before tightening the lid), I relegate the bottle to dry-brushing. Just add some thinner until it is at a consistency that you can use it for dry-brushing. Then use that mixture for dry-brushing. Don't be tempted to try and run it through your airbrush, because you WILL have problems. Trust me on that one. Good Luck!!!