Gary Wiley's F-86D

Very nice looking F-86D Gary. I've been using the Alclad paint now for awhile. Expensive stuff but the results are impressive. I have run into the same problem you had with your application but I decided not to strip the model down. Instead I left the Alclad on and steel wooled the imperfections out with the Alclad as a base. The paint seemed to expensive to waste but the technique worked out even better. The Alclad dries hard so its easy to see the steel wool work out the imperfections. Also wanted to pass on something to you about your decal problem. I tried using the Future for decals to adhere to also, but I came up with a trick that I think works even better. I bought some Solve-A Set and added some Elmers White Glue to the setting solution. Some kit decals just don't come with enough glue on the decal paper and when you soak them the glue comes off too. This trick has worked well for me to adding adhesion to the decal and setting it in place as well. Have always like the D model of the F-86, nice work Gary.

Steve

Edited by Snegley

Very nice looking F-86D Gary. I've been using the Alclad paint now for awhile. Expensive stuff but the results are impressive. I have run into the same problem you had with your application but I decided not to strip the model down. Instead I left the Alclad on and steel wooled the imperfections out with the Alclad as a base. The paint seemed to expensive to waste but the technique worked out even better. The Alclad dries hard so its easy to see the steel wool work out the imperfections. Also wanted to pass on something to you about your decal problem. I tried using the Future for decals to adhere to also, but I came up with a trick that I think works even better. I bought some Solve-A Set and added some Elmers White Glue to the setting solution. Some kit decals just don't come with enough glue on the decal paper and when you soak them the glue comes off too. This trick has worked well for me to adding adhesion to the decal and setting it in place as well. Have always like the D model of the F-86, nice work Gary.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I'll give that decal setting trick a shot. I also like the idea of steel wool on the Alcad. I'm going to do some more NMF planes in the near future.

Gary