Eduard 1/48 MiG-21MF Fishbed J

Thanks Joel! It does look silky. :D I used Testors Light Ghost Gray and it pretty closely matches Mr. Surfacer 1500 primer...which matches the paint references for the Egyptian bird closely enough for me. I was having some troubles with my Iwata so it ended up going on a little more thickly than I would have liked. As such the black base didn't show as much. I'll have to go back in with a few drops of white for the panel highlights now.

As for the pylons, I don't think I've ever put them on AFTER painting. With this one it was pretty easy to hit the joints from a good angle but other birds with more pylons I'll have to do them separately...thanks for the tip!

You guys won't regret getting that RB tool. It's been great....

Just taken delivery of the Rivet-R Mini -this seems the best option as it is a smaller diameter than the Rivet-R, so can get into tighter spots! Haven't tried it yet, but results in on-line projects look excellent. Good value for money, too.

It has been great watching this build in progress; I'm sure the finished item will be magnificent!

• 2 months later...

Major painting complete! A couple rounds of masking and airbrushing and it’s looking the part. The green and brown were straight from the bottle, both Badger colors and the orange was Vallejo bright orange, thinned down a bit. The tape pulled off a couple panels and the static discharge vanes so there is a little bit of fixing. Overall I’m pretty happy with the result and with the right amount of weathering this will be a nice display piece! Next up detail painting and sub-assemblies!

48mig21mf_img_9093.jpg

48mig21mf_img_9111.jpg

48mig21mf_img_9112.jpg

48mig21mf_img_9114.jpg

48mig21mf_img_9115.jpg

48mig21mf_img_9116.jpg

48mig21mf_img_9118.jpg

48mig21mf_img_9121.jpg

48mig21mf_img_9119.jpg

ALSO, I started an Eduard builds only group on FB! Come and join!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/811765288916408/

All the detail paint was added, she was clear coated, a few long sessions of decal application, another clear coat, some washes with MiG Productions White and Neutral Gray, then some pastel weathering and chipping, a flat coat, some mask removal and part assembly and she’s done! The last pics are just a teaser until I finish up the base and get it into the photo studio.

48mig21mf_img_9126.jpg

48mig21mf_img_9127.jpg

48mig21mf_img_9128.jpg

48mig21mf_img_9130.jpg

48mig21mf_img_9135.jpg

48mig21mf_img_9137.jpg

48mig21mf_img_9138.jpg

48mig21mf_img_9139.jpg

48mig21mf_img_9140.jpg

48mig21mf_img_9141.jpg

Your work here is outstanding! I don't have any boxing's of Mig-21's and after watching your build here, I have to have one! I love the Egyptian scheme. Well done. I had wanted to ask what product or what did you do for your airfield base. I have been looking around for ideas for my builds and what you have there looks very good as well!

-Mark

Edited by taggor

Thanks for the compliments guys! I'll try and get some final studio shots up early next week in the Display Case.

Mark, for the tarmac base, I got the images from here

http://www.spruemaster.com/blog/downloads/texturas/

http://www.spruemaster.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/texturas/Tarmac1_Letter_72.jpg

Thank you for the link! Did you scale up the 1/72 images for your base or do they have them in 1/48 as well? Great stuff!