I went to stop by my LHS A. B. Charles & Son in Pittsburgh area and its no longer there. They have been a fixture in this area forever its sad to see them go. I was there in august and he told me he wasn't going anywhere, does anyone know when they closed?

I feel your pain, a new hobby shop called Ed's Hobbies opened here about a year and a half ago, and Ed said the same thing, that he wasn't going anywhere. I just returned from out of the country after nine month's, went to Eds the other day, and he is gone. The worst part is that I had three models in a display case, a 1/48th Hellcat and Rufe, and a 1/350th Graf Spee, and they are also gone. He had my wife's work and cell number, and Facebook, just in case they needed to be moved.....not a word.

Bill

Yeah, the closest thing that I have to an LHS (Union Gap, about 40 miles South of Ellensburg) is going out of business after 78 years. I have not bought a model there in probably 15 years, but all of my scratch building supplies, my glue, paint, etc. all comes from there, and I love their customer service. When I wanted to do the project for my friend who was KIA in A-stan, they donated a kit, paint and the stuff to make the in-flight display. They are having their going out of business sale right now, and should close just after Christmas. The next closest hobby shop to me is 100 miles away now.

Aaron

How is it that an idiot-pit like Yankee Candle, or Hot Topic can stay open, and thrive, but hobby shops can't?

Its a combination of an outdated territory distributorship model (with its outrageous markups) and a clientele who will spend all their hobby dollars half way around the planet in order to save $5.

Forget the fact that models are a niche and the client base is drastically smaller than either of those two chains.

Internet, gaming, phones, and other forms of social media have taken their grasp on the youth of today.

Distributors that sell to the LHSs are also to blame as they chArge a fortune and drive the LHS prices up.

It's a crying shame really, but like everyone else is saying, hobby shops are becoming a victim of progress, you can get kits cheaper on line, for most people it's convienient to wait a few days instead of leaving the house, and the youth of today for the most part will never see the hobby because there are more and cooler things to occupy them. Think about it it, when we were kids we had to do things like multipurpose wiffle ball bats to be guns and use our imagination, so painting and gluing bits of plastic wasn't that big of a leap for us. If a kid of today wants an F-14, they select one on Ace Combat. I personally miss going to the hobby shop to just hang out, kill time and talk all thinks models. They are like my doughnut shop. Now that my rant is done, I'm off to paint some 10mm Confederate miniatures. (I'm still a kid) 😃

It's a crying shame really, but like everyone else is saying, hobby shops are becoming a victim of progress, you can get kits cheaper on line, for most people it's convienient to wait a few days instead of leaving the house, and the youth of today for the most part will never see the hobby because there are more and cooler things to occupy them. Think about it it, when we were kids we had to do things like multipurpose wiffle ball bats to be guns and use our imagination, so painting and gluing bits of plastic wasn't that big of a leap for us. If a kid of today wants an F-14, they select one on Ace Combat. I personally miss going to the hobby shop to just hang out, kill time and talk all thinks models. They are like my doughnut shop. Now that my rant is done, I'm off to paint some 10mm Confederate miniatures. (I'm still a kid) 😃

I agree. Even in good old SoCal, 'good' hobby shops are hard to find. I use to be a regular at 'The Military Shop' in Long Beach. I would get there shortly after Gary opened the door on a Saturday and stay most of the day. I would even work behind the counter for free. In Gary's case, he retired before things got bad.

It's the same with good old hardware stores, that was my other haunt. All I have now is a Hobbytown down the road.....it's ok depending on who happens to be working. I retire in 6 years, I would LOVE to either own or "work" in an LHS, but I just don't see that happening.

Forget the fact that models are a niche and the client base is drastically smaller than either of those two chains.

Internet, gaming, phones, and other forms of social media have taken their grasp on the youth of today.

Distributors that sell to the LHSs are also to blame as they chArge a fortune and drive the LHS prices up.

I refuse to believe that smelly candles are less niche than models. There may just be less stigma attached. Though the reverse may should be true. Stupid candle people...

Its a combination of an outdated territory distributorship model (with its outrageous markups) and a clientele who will spend all their hobby dollars half way around the planet in order to save $5.

And there you go. But nobody wants to go there. Its easier to blame videogames

And there you go. But nobody wants to go there. Its easier to blame videogames

Yea, but Rightwinger has it right in my opinion. I know I am guilty of buying online and the funny thing is they are often the same people my LHS get his stuff from. I have mostly stopped that now, because I am trying to do my bit to keep him going.

Oh well. We can only try.

I refuse to believe that smelly candles are less niche than models. There may just be less stigma attached. Though the reverse may should be true. Stupid candle people...

Look at it this way. As a modeler how many people in your regular life (outside of here and any clubs or anything you belong to) do you know who have ever done a model let alone do them consistently? I have never met a peer who did models on a regular basis and the only ones I've ever known who even did a model once they were usually snap tires they then blew up with fireworks.

Now how many homes have you been I to that had smelly candles? Never underestimate the shopping powers of the female race. I can easily go but my wife candles but there's no way she would get me any models because she'd have no idea what or how to get them.

Yea, but Rightwinger has it right in my opinion. I know I am guilty of buying online and the funny thing is they are often the same people my LHS get his stuff from. I have mostly stopped that now, because I am trying to do my bit to keep him going.

Oh well. We can only try.

I have to admit, as we all do, we are all guilty of shopping on line for models, it's hard not too, especially when there are good deals or in most cases, they are the most well stocked model market around. I could have never gotten so many upgrade sets for the 1/200th Bismark at my LHS. Sprue Brothers is awesome, and I'll admit I hit Squadron from time to time with no issues. It's hard to fight against being able to get everything you need in a one stop shop, usually at a good price. But on the flip side, I love going to my LHS, if for nothing else than for the hobby crowd that is there, and I usually end up leaving with something....I have far to many hobbies not too.

Look at it this way. As a modeler how many people in your regular life (outside of here and any clubs or anything you belong to) do you know who have ever done a model let alone do them consistently? I have never met a peer who did models on a regular basis and the only ones I've ever known who even did a model once they were usually snap tires they then blew up with fireworks.

Now how many homes have you been I to that had smelly candles? Never underestimate the shopping powers of the female race. I can easily go but my wife candles but there's no way she would get me any models because she'd have no idea what or how to get them.

Honestly, there are quite a few people that I work with or around that are avid modellers, it's just not really a topic for conversation usually, because from my experience at least, unless you are into this stuff, NOBODY has a clue what you are talking about, or they think you are an idiot for spending 15 dollars on a resin cockpit upgade😜

Never underestimate the female race.......that is AWESOME!!! And true. I'm so glad i can access the arc forums again, it's good to be back......this is my LHS.

Bill

Like most of you I have been going to LHS for years but now is the first time I maybe buying more over the www. But this is not a replacement for a LHS as paints and glues are being restricted in mailorder these days and since I live in a climate were certain times of the year liquids freeze. And I am not convinced that mailorder is cheaper as postage is getting higher in price these days and with some to talk too face to face about products and how they work or don't work. My friend who for 30yrs of business past away recently, his enthusiasm for the hobby and promotion for the hobby is gone. This was a great help to the hobby community which is gone, too many other stores which are mixed hobby stores don't seem to care they just want your money. We have to get young people involved which is hard these days but is possible, as they are losing the ability to have hands on experience that would help them it the future as I would not doubt that there will be less students for trades. With the loss of hobby stores the hobby will die.

I'm up in Michigan right now visiting family, and took a trip yesterday to an LHS that has been here about a year. It's a really nice set up, lots of inventory and good guys that own it. I walked away with a few colors in Alclad, some brushes, a Walthers 2015 catalog, and a Lake Freighters Mini paper model. I could have gotten the stuff at the LHS back home, but I figured I'd throw them some business and help pay the bills.

Bill

...I personally miss going to the hobby shop to just hang out, kill time and talk all thinks models. They are like my doughnut shop...

I completely agree. I am VERY fortunate in that my LHS is still here, still "steady"...not busy, and moderately stocked (but not like it used to be whatsoever). On most Saturday mornings you can find a few of us milling about, talking models and trains, showing off our progress or finished projects, sipping coffee and essentially treating the shop as a pseudo modeling club for a couple hours (which the owner supports). I would/will miss this. Sadly times seem to be catching up with our LHS. The owner is having difficulty competing with the prices found online and in most instances, cannot compete at all. So, the stock isn't near what it used to be (which is driving people online). He will gladly special order whatever you want, but its pretty much always more expensive then ordering it yourself online. Couple that with certain paints and supplies being harder to stock for whatever reason and its forced all of us regulars to seek sources elsewhere. I buy what I can but myself and the few of us diehards know we cannot solely fund the HS (as does the owner). Times are tough, money is tight, and if I can save money online for needs and wants then I am no different then most other modelers. But its abundantly clear to us regulars that our little old LHS won't be around in the next couple years.

All good things I guess...

Don.

that's the other thing the distributors are still cranking up prices so the LHS price is high, my friend who owned a store always found someone to sell to him cheaper wholesale prices, it seems that the distributor just wants to be greedy about making money with out looking after retailers. but the worst thing is the paint and other supplies will not be allowed to be shipped by mail or courier because they under hazardous goods. once the local retail outlet disappears you won't be getting by mail. I think it will get worse until the end of this era of a hobby or the younger generations get sick of looking at screens an want to do something different.

I'm up in Michigan right now visiting family, and took a trip yesterday to an LHS that has been here about a year. It's a really nice set up, lots of inventory and good guys that own it. I walked away with a few colors in Alclad, some brushes, a Walthers 2015 catalog, and a Lake Freighters Mini paper model. I could have gotten the stuff at the LHS back home, but I figured I'd throw them some business and help pay the bills.

Bill

Would it happen to have been in Ypsilanti? If so, great place and great folks.

I moved away from the area a few years ago, but that place was may mainstay since I started building models as a kid. It's a shame, but I can't say I'm surprised. I felt that the last owner put a lot of time in at that place, and more than earned his retirement. Whenever I was back to visit my folks, I always stopped in and spent some money. Great people, great store.

Rkic, I think you make a good point. Niche products are bigger than ever. I deal with millennial college students everyday, and contrary to the stereotype, they're not always plugged into electronics, and they love, love, love niche cultures. That's why chain restaurants and network TV suffer, too. Modeling should be just the kind of geek-chic thing that suddenly blows up, but it's almost as if it's been somehow poorly marketed compared to, say, comic books, which also used to be a stigmatized product and culture. We've now got adults spending a fortune on Legos for themselves, so it isn't just about the video games. And as the last proprietor of A.B. Charles remarked to me some years ago, video games probably brought at least as many kids into his shop, looking for military models, as ever they distracted from model-building.

I suspect that if model building ever becomes a big thing in the United States again, it will be because somebody figures out how to radically change it's marketing strategies, it's social image, and even the subjects depicted in new kits.

Edited by Fishwelding

Would it happen to have been in Ypsilanti? If so, great place and great folks.

A-firm......I was born and raised in Ypsi. I got my first taste of modeling from the Riders in Ann Arbor, the one that was by Kliens Deparment store. Then Riders opened the the Ypsi store which is now long gone. I haven't lived here for the last 18 years, but I come up at least once a year, so I figured I'd help them out, plus my LHS in Virginia doesn't regularly have Alclad.

Bill

A-firm......I was born and raised in Ypsi. I got my first taste of modeling from the Riders in Ann Arbor, the one that was by Kliens Deparment store. Then Riders opened the the Ypsi store which is now long gone. I haven't lived here for the last 18 years, but I come up at least once a year, so I figured I'd help them out, plus my LHS in Virginia doesn't regularly have Alclad.

Bill

Funny coincidence. I was mostly raised down there (VA), since my dad was Navy, but lived up here about 30 mins from Ypsi now for about 15 years.

Used to spend a lot of time at Hungates and was a original member of the club that was sponsored by them.

Edited by IrishGreek