hi

i'm at the very early stage of 8 different eduard 1/48 MiG-21

it won't be the first time i've done multiple simultaneous builds.

i plan to do all of them with various USSR markings, no foreign users.

i plan to do 2 MiG-21bis, 1 in a "air superiority" gray (same as for the MiG-23M). a rather rare sight... i've had a hard time find references... (got 4-5 color photos on the web and in books) the other one is not yet define, if it's gonna be a NMF or a Camouflaged one...

also 3 MiG-21SMT, 1 will be "22 blue" NMF from Krasnodar training facility, the one with R-25 engine and "bis type" intake. the 2 others will certainly be camouflaged ones...not sure if i'll choose from the kit's markings options or if i'll choose my subjects from photos i have...not yet decided...

i also do a MiG-21SM (from MF kit) ...my subject will be that awesome One, "white outline 17" with the big Normandie-Niemen style arrow on the port side. i've never see any photo of that aircraft... but 4 different decal makers have covered that subject yet! (cutting-edge, linden hill, RV and PrintScale)

and finally 1 MiG-21R and 1 MiG-21 PFM...

i've bought a some after market stuff for those projects.

many metal pitots from "master" from poland (the appropriates ones for any specific projects)...and also numerous metal static dischargers(more than required)... i was pleased by the "touch" it give to my MiG-21 F-13 previously build for that GB.

i also have 3 bis nose correction sets from ColdWar studios (2 for bis and one for a SMT) makes a big big big difference on the nose shape! ...still can't believe that, that difference wasn't enough to convince the maker of the kit , to tool a different nose (from the one of the MF/SMT)

i'll also use a brassin pit for one of my bis project, some extra PE (bis interior, MF exterior...) and also some more Brassin KM-1M seats... what else...Brassin bis exhauste nozzle... and... begemot decals and stencils (still have 6 unused sets) some Print scale decals... but might be tempted to buy some LindenHill stuff also... and i've got a decal sheet with USSR numbers to build more subjects than those offered on decal sets...

Edited by mingwin

first

the Brassin seat

DSCN7996_zps626a9fff.jpg

i was eager to try to use them... the casting is very crisp, detail are great...

on the turn down side... they are, to my taste... over engeneered... too many parts... no color call... and if you follow PE seatbelts assembly instructions you'll end with a stack-pile of PE... that didn't look right to me...

too bad for me... it was at my third try that i realized that...

DSCN8008_zps103590a9.jpg

i also have a very hard time at gluing all those PE seat belts... i think that i'm not skilled enough yet for that stuff...

i still have some pieces to paint on my seats, and also some touch ups and decals to apply...

DSCN8009_zpsf2279739.jpg

after having done those Brassin seats... i've decided to order QuickBoost resin-only seats for my other MiG-21... hoping i'll do a better job on them than on my Brassin seats...

DSCN8010_zps816c395b.jpg

onle those completed, i'll give them some flat clear coat to make them looks less glossy.

my verdic on eduard's brassin seat... i'll wait to be a better modeller to buy that stuff again. (of of those came with the brassin MiG-21bis cockpit set)

then i cut some plastic to see how the bis nose conversion will fit...

DSCN8004_zps7771add3.jpg

not bad at all... sure it will take some work... but i think it will worth the efforts

DSCN8005_zps173bf071.jpg

i'm getting better a this... and my third one was nearly a "perfect fit"...and i might forecast that it will need less putty to hide the joint...

DSCN8006_zps5f8a641e.jpg

DSCN8007_zpsc00c7b4c.jpg

thanks again Stanisly, for doing such nice pieces of resine!

Hello Simon!

I've been watching this topic for last half an hour or so - well, there was some jaw dropping here, but in positive sense!

I'm quite happy that someone else understood how to cut Eduard's nose better than me! 70.gif

As for seats - well, I think they are very good so don't worry about your modelling skills.

I'm very, very slow builder, stuck in details, so to say...As you are happy with 8 MiGs, so am I with just one.

Looking forward for more WIPs.271.gif

• 2 weeks later...

thanks guys for your comments.

to Supergru: i can't help doing multiple build at same time as i hardly can choose just one scheme i like... so i end up doing as much models at the same time as i can in my hobby room ...

i didn't had the opportunity to do as much work on my models that i would have like to... Christmas shopping and some extra at work (due to winter beginning...)

i have nonetheless,done some work on my projects...

here's my instruments panels... only miss a few PE in most case to be completed...

2 SMT panels, 1bis (brassin) 2bis, 1SM(mf) 1 PFM and 1 R...

DSCN8017_zpsda14a446.jpg

close up on the PFM and R panels, which are the same (in the Eduards kit at least)

DSCN8019_zps54d8d83c.jpg

Brassin PE instrument panel sides the profipack PE (both are bis) IMHO the brassin's PE looks better than the regular eduard coloured PE...

DSCN8021_zpsc3782113.jpg

when gluing the layers of PE together... i end up with a part of the pre-painted film glued to my finger... forever lostcrying.gif...i replaced the "removed" part of the IP with the kit decals... which aren't of the same color as the PE... (i know, matching the real thing color might be hard...but they could have match the PE color with their own decal, at least...) ...but in the end, it does the job correctly!

DSCN8022_zpsef620d99.jpg

a close up of the 2 SMT panels... i've done like member supergru and have use a little bit of aluminium tape to do the radar screen contour (on all my IP excepted the brassin which is already perfect)

DSCN8023_zps941103d3.jpg

alltogether... without camera flash...

DSCN8025_zps55d31c23.jpg

i've done more than this... i'll do another update later tonight... but for the moment i have some dishes to clean...

for one of my builds i have the eduard's exterior detail PE set. (...and have another one on its way from spruebrother (thanks to Bashace) buyed with october's raffle price i've wonbanana.gif)

it's sure that if you wanted details in the wheel wells area, better go for the brassin resin set... but as there is some PE dedicated for this area on the external set... i have added them to one of my projects...

the PE plumbing did add some more presence ...but the original kit parts aren't that bad at all... so i personnaly didn't feel the need for big improvement...

DSCN8046_zpsc5d7425e.jpg

on little "something" i choose to improve where the landing lights... the kit provide rather poor representation of theses. (only some flat clear plastic inserts)... i added Elf landing lights. that looks way better...

DSCN8059_zps9ee74b68.jpg

i have added those nice landing lights to all my ongoing projects...

DSCN8065_zpsc9951dd4.jpg

this week, i also receive the quickboost resin seats with "molded-on belts" to me, it looks really nice. it just looks 2-3% smaller than the Eduard brassin one.

DSCN8070_zps8dc35691.jpg

DSCN8072_zps4495d34b.jpg

DSCN8073_zpsc727e0ef.jpg

i hope i'll be able to make my resin seats looks as good-or better than the colored pe ones of the brassin set...

this week i was mostly on the gear bays assembly...

DSCN8074_zps37cc0103.jpg

colors where inspired by numerous photos i've gather over the net (and some books)

DSCN8076_zps7e359809.jpg

DSCN8080_zps6929e5f5.jpg

DSCN8083_zps294d30bc.jpg

DSCN8085_zps142c7b6d.jpg

the "shortened" front bay part is for the the build that will receive the Brassin cockpit.

DSCN8088_zpsfb6c473f.jpg

i have added the C22 part on the top corner... as when i was uploading the previous photos of the bay, i notice it was missing...

DSCN8090_zpsfa95236f.jpg

Go for Simon!

jaw-dropping.gif

Well, I don't have table big enough for ... what's this?... Octobuild... rolleyes.gif So, I'm just with one MiG in the MiG alley...

Personally, I don't like seats with molded belts - it's very hard to paint/mask the seat. Not to mention to repair anything.

I just hope you won't have any problems to fit it inside Eduard's cabin. In reality it's the same seat on both MiG-21 and MiG-23, but I have no experience with it. A good idea, for sure! 70.gif

Looking forward to see how will you close the fuselage. Only 3 BIS noses to fit. pray.gif

Which ELF set did you use? 1:72? 1:35?

Thanks guys for your encouraging words! feels nice to know someone follow my WIP (even if it's not going as fast forward as a single build thread)

to supergru,i've use the 1/48--1/72 landing light set. and the fit is quite good (the set contain 3 lenses size, i use the larger ones(the set have 16 of them...which is perfect for my project!))

and for the painting of my seats, i'll use no masks... only the most precise brush available to me (tamiya modeling brush pro .000) ...it's certainly not as sharp or as detailed as the Eduard's prepainted PE... but i'm sure i'll do some decent job... and will looks less "rigid" than what i can do with PE...

that being said, the Brassin seats are really impressive, the "over-engineered" aspect, with lots of separated parts have its good side as it make the painting a lot easier....the problem to me is that there is way too many PE parts!

also, i have chosen the MiG-23 seat because i wasn't able to get the MiG-21 seat anywhere (without making a huge order)...and think that the Quickboost seats must look very alike...(by pictures available over the net i wasn't able to see any differences) ..and as they seems slightly smaller than the eduard's ones... i may hope it fits without that much fuss in the kit's pit...

here's a little update... i've been doing various things since last time, but nothing spectacular...

first, i've painted two of those quickBoost resin seat.

DSCN8102_zps1d5ea890.jpg

doesn't look as good or as sharp as the Brassin seat (left) but doesn't look that bad... the painting of the seat is the part i'm most satisfy of, on those two seats... here's why:

DSCN8105_zps21121e9d.jpg

of the few things that aren't right on the QB seat, the headrest, with its too prominent sides, is the things that bugs me the most... wrong shape on the most visible element of the seat... at least, i was able to correct it rather easily!

the seat also lack some height on the bucket area...but this will be easily fix also when installing it in the pit.

DSCN8124_zpsdaefc876.jpg

decals on the headrest aren't the same as those provided by eduard because the are from the HAD decals Fishbed stencils set. (which are smaller, and can fit on the QB seat headrest)

DSCN8131_zps3eda473a.jpg

once corrected (i sanded down those sides) the headrest looks OK.

so, in the end, even if PE belts are a bit of a PITA to me, on this precise case, all of the other areas of the Brassin seat are better, greater, sharper...and more accurate than the QB seat.

still, budget wise, the QB seat is 1/3 of the price of the Brassin one... buying it with the Brassin pit makes it a better deal...

i also have the TrueDetails KM-1 seats... but when compared to the QB seat, it didn't keep the road... they even barely looks like KM-1 to me... avoid them!

Edited by mingwin

one of my build with habe the exquisite Brassin pit for the MiG-21bis variant.

the brassin pit is exactly what a lots of us have dream of what should be the ultimate aftermarket pit!

in a lots of aspect, it is really is... but sometime, beware of what you dream of... the wealth of details is hard to match... the accuracy is rather there also... but you should be prepared for a long task of placing tons of nano-PE parts in some intricate area...

also, the one piece path+sidewalls is great to look at... it will also help in placing the pit in the fuselage... but it makes some of of the detail painting very hard to do on the sides...

DSCN8143_zpsa03086f0.jpgDSCN8145_zps59cef8c0.jpg

DSCN8146_zps6d2844cd.jpg

DSCN8148_zps0ac6384b.jpg

keep in mind that this thing is slightly less than a inch long!

Edited by mingwin

i also have done other various little things... gluing PE sidewalls and consoles for all of my builds (still have throttles and other little things to add)

i also have done all of the engine nozzles... but i'm not able to take good photos of the insides of the various nozzles... but here's how one looks... i have done some test fit in the fuselage... there won't be much to see there once in place!

DSCN8110_zps273e0e91.jpg

more to come later... another day!

• 3 weeks later...

holidays where rather busy with family related events (and a lot of other good stuff) so i haven't work as much as i would have like to, during those days.

none the less i've done some work on all my 8 builds...

i've put the pits in place... and other internal components ...

DSCN8175_zpsd845e999.jpg

DSCN8176_zps9c78204b.jpg

here's some IP cover with HUD

DSCN8181_zpsc4ea94cb.jpg

i have fitted the 3 resin nose from Cold War Studio... not a "drop fit" ...but look really nice once the puttying and sanding done:

DSCN8217_zps93587434.jpg2 are going for MiG-21bis, and the third will be a special MiG-21SMT with R25 engine.

DSCN8218_zps4617aee3.jpg

now they all have their spine glued on their back... will have to do some puttying+sanding here and there... once the glue dried.(and whe will have some time to do so...)

DSCN8229_zps87bbf22e.jpg

DSCN8231_zps222a8c82.jpg

DSCN8233_zpsae32f8a3.jpg

that will be all for today...

i hope i'll find some hobby time in the next week...

thanks for looking.

cheers.

Simon

DSCN8241_zps139996f1.jpg