thanks guys, your comments are really appreciated ...and very encouraging (flattering!)

to you, Supergru, ...don't be jealous because i have faced less difficulties than you in fitting those noses... (i know, by remembering some of your extensive "cutting" work on a Su-27, how good you are at this... proving to me that it was just a bad luck for you this time... (and that, anyway, your Fishbed is absolutely awesome, and that none of the nose fitting problem appears after a coat of paint...)) ...i'll trade some of my luck for some of your scratchbuild talent anytime!

and to David, i wish i could spend as much time on those build that i would like to... but holidays and wintertime keeps me away from my workbench...

• 2 weeks later...

my projects are progressing slowly... having to do everything 8th time at every step have its downside... but nonetheless i'm convinced that i've take the good decision on doing that multiple build project.

...most of the inner components of the main gear bays are now placed ...

DSCN8248_zps17a40762.jpg

seats have been glued in place... as all the cockpit components... (like 2 of my SMT that have the nuke control panel in place (from the Eduard IAB-500)

DSCN8251_zpsdef984d0.jpg

some adjustment where required on the windshield that was going on the model with the Brassin pit (having to thin sidewalls as much as possible... multiple builds have help me there...as i broke the part while doing my first attempt at this... i have used another part from another of my kits...)

but on my other builds, the windshields where fitting really flush...almos perfectly! ...a first in my modeling life! ...another first for me is the use of microscale Kristal Klear for gluing my canopies... a real success also! ...wish i've use that stuff before!

DSCN8252_zps8846f9bd.jpg

fuselage, spine joints and tail surfaces have been sanded (till rather smooth) on some area as there was some extra thin glue leaks, here and there...

DSCN8253_zps4c6c8bad.jpg

some little sanding was required to close most of my canopies...(removing something like 0.1mm) ...on all of my projects excepted two: the MF and the R, where the fit was absolutely perfect! WOW! (i meant really perfect fit! no seam, nothing, really!) you can see it as i didn't feel the need to secure part for drying time...

the PFM canopy gives me more trouble and the fit was more problematic... certainly cause by my fault, as the spine wasn't glued thight enough on the fuselage, causing a 0.2mm too high spine where the clear part join... in the end, a rather easy (and lousy) fix...

DSCN8254_zps6ad4e515.jpg

one remark for those building MiG-21 with the rear-view mirror on the top of canopy, Eduard provide 2 variants of these(G-16 and G-17) on the instructions, they always call for the G-17 part... but all of the Soviet/Russian MiG-21 i have look at, seems to have the G-16 part instead...

to be continued!

thanks for looking!

your comments are, as always, welcome and encouraged!

Cheers

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

long time since i've taken the time to update my thread... i've nonetheless done some work on all of my builds...

i've glued main gearbays in place, on the lower wings parts

DSCN8255_zpsforbahwc.jpg

looking rather nice

DSCN8256_zps2wd2nzvc.jpg

then glued all those wings parts to fuselages...

3 of my kits have the "honor" to have Quickboost resin scoops, a nice addition...

DSCN8268_zpsru8mrovv.jpg

when looking from the underside, a little gap can be seen in the bays, where the fuselage joint the wings... will have to fix that later this week...

DSCN8280_zpskxtmwh6l.jpg

montex vynile masks have been used on two of my builds (because two of my various Fishbeds where "week-end" editions

this was convenient, after all, as the eduard masks are design for aircraft that have the rounded side windows windshield only. the MiG-21bis montex masks have both.

DSCN8281_zpsofpmjgiq.jpg

here's one with the Eduard's mask (i like more the Eduard masks(with some more filling masking tape), but montex are way cheaper...

DSCN8285_zpsoolh1svf.jpg

here are all my 8 builds side by side...

DSCN8283_zpspni8ua87.jpg

DSCN8284_zpsagwhkxso.jpg

last post for today's update:

now wings, stabs, and flaps are glued on all of my projects.

here's my MiG-21 SMT :

DSCN8290_zpsln8ywebs.jpg

now my MiG-21 bis:

DSCN8291_zpsd64vmpyw.jpg

one will have the rounded windshield side windows... the other have the straight ones (over all, 5 have the rounded ones, 3 the straight (from photo evidences))

DSCN8292_zpskcbiqdij.jpg

and finally, MiG-21 SM, R, and PFM :

DSCN8293_zpsf7tngfwo.jpg

so, this week i'll sand/smooth wings leading edge, install ventral guns, glue some PE on fuselages before doing some paint...

thank you for looking!

as always, your comments are welcome.

have a nice modelling time.

cheers

Simon

Thank you guys for your encouragements! ...i really appreciate, really! (i wouldn't do any GB WIP if it wasn't so!)

to ALF18, for a previous GB i have done 8 1/48 Phantom simultaneously! it was quite something to manage... but later this year i plan to do something similar with 8 1/48 Su-27...

also, i'm happy if my WIP can be of any help for your build! don't hesitate to ask if you have any question!

Edited by mingwin

little little update...

OK, i'm pretty sure it will still take me a couple of days, just to put all the external PE on all my builds...

but what takes me the more time, is to add the "master static dischargers"... maybe only 5 per build... but contrary to the Trumpeter's MiG-21 i just did last fall, the eduard's kit trailing edges are nearly razor sharp, and the pionts where should be the dischargers are so tiny that i haven't been able to drill the required holes, even with a 0,2mm drill bit... i've done many unsuccessful tries, and finally opted for making a small slot where it should go, insert, and filling... not perfect...but will do...

yet, i only completed PE stage on one build... (but installed dischargers on 2 more builds...)

so here's a MiG-21SMT (R-25 equiped one)

DSCN8327_zpsdk6sbj07.jpg

i have also drill the required hole for the metal pitot.

DSCN8330_zpstia3n3qq.jpg

one other difficulty i've face was with the extra PE detailing for the gun. i've manage to destroy the nozzle PE part after many unsuccessful manipulationssad.gif...so i finally save the 2 "ears" that i've glued on another gun...

DSCN8331_zpsmui6nqin.jpg

i'm rater happy with that model... it looks mean...

DSCN8332_zpsnmp6unzp.jpg

that's all for today...

thanks for looking!

have a nice modelling time.

cheers

Simon

Edited by mingwin

another small update...

just because i've done the fuselage PE stage on another build...

the MiG-21SM (MF)

DSCN8333_zps09qfxsmh.jpg

DSCN8334_zpswmihmztc.jpg

DSCN8336_zpsu79x3ruv.jpg

all of my 8 builds will have metal pitots... so i'll have to cut the kit's one, and drill the pitot's tube base for the incoming metal one...

DSCN8337_zps2mdkh4rt.jpg

and a last photo for today, side by side with the previously shown MiG-21SMT

DSCN8338_zpsq6bvc6ki.jpg

hopefully, my other six builds should be at the same completion stage tomorrow night, as they'll have slightly less PE parts to glued on... and that they already have all theirs static dischargers in place... (i'm getting better at this, now that i've glued 40 of them on my builds yet...the hardest part now is to avoid brealing them in my future manipulations...)

that's all for today folks

thanks again for those who take their time throwing a glance at my WIPs

cheers

Simon

(deit) oops! just notice it has both IFF antennass broken and missing... and find that little part on my desk...BANGHEAD2.jpg...but one is still MIA(the missing part have been replaced by a piece from another kit, thanks to Eduard to provide 3 of them by box...when only 2 are required!)

Edited by mingwin

I've been fretting over those PE parts as well. I am worried about destroying the static discharge wicks, as well as the antenna atop the tail.

Soon, I will be caught up to where you are! Good work so far, Simon.

ALF

Thank you ALF for your constant encouragements! it's really appreciated!

all those little metal parts are at their place on every of my 8 builds... and i keep many back-up parts of those...because i'm sure i'll broke a couple of these before completion of my project...

DSCN8359_zpsgy1p5vdt.jpg

now, i have give a coat of the "cockpit color" over the canopies and windshields first... it's the laziest way to make sure all the inner frames are of the right color... and since all my builds are displayed with closed canopies, this should be enough.

later, i'll continue with black... base coat for my bare metal aluminium SMT... and some preshading on the other models (but should mask bays, nozzles and intakes prior to this...)

DSCN8360_zpsnmphs4z4.jpg

on a side note, i have discover, through this project, that my favorite MiG-21 was the "bis" that wider nose really give a little something more "muscular"

sad Eduard's management didn't think that it would have worth some new tooling... happily, Cold War Studio, bring some very nice replacement parts.

DSCN8361_zpsqxdqkxvw.jpg

cheers

Simon

Following this With interest, as I just completed the Red Eagles book.

Aren't the -bis just updated MF's?

thanks for showing your interest Niels.

and no, the "bis" is not just an updated MF. (the SMT is closer to this... as in USSR, the 3rd generation of MiG-21 begins with the S, followed by the SM (which the MF is the export variant) then, the SMT... all this with numerous variations (and sub names)

the "bis" have new, more powerful engine, that needs more air (hence, the wider intake, bigger nose) it also have reinforced wings, and many other improvements, and also, new radar, electronics... the "bis" is considered as the beginning of a 4th generation of Fishbed.

...but sadly, for Eduards, the "bis" seems, indeed, just like an updated MF. providing only a new spine/tail, instrument panel/coaming, afterburner burner ring... that being said, still a nice kit! and probably enough lookalike to please most people.

Edited by mingwin

Simon, do you know what part numbers the outer wing pylons are? I have used M9/M15 and M4/M14 for the inner pylons, but I can't find anywhere in the instructions which parts might be the outer pylons.

ALF

there is no outer pylons on the PFM variant! that's why you don't find it! only one per wing plus the centerline one.

cheers

Simon

Merci Simon

I guess I have some holes to fill under the wings. Funny that the instructions showed 4 holes to make for pylons; I should have looked further ahead.

ALF

Merci Simon

I guess I have some holes to fill under the wings. Funny that the instructions showed 4 holes to make for pylons; I should have looked further ahead.

ALF

there is sink marks for the outer pylon on the inside part of the lower wing part... because the kit share that part with the MiG-21R , which have outer wing pylons... you may have been tricked by the way instructions are made (they didn't tell to drill those outer ones, but the way the part is shown, centerline holes may be mistaken with inner wing holes drill directives...

the funny part, for me, is that, of all my 8 models i'm doing now, there is only one that i forgot to drill the wing pylon holes is the PFM...

little weekend update...

this week i have been busy masking the wheel wells... i've starded with the wet tissue technique for all the wells... then, at the third, find it was quite tedious, and decided to go for an hybrid approach.. wet tissue for the front well...and use bays and landing gear panels with masking tape for the main gear wells...

DSCN8365_zpspxy3mkzc.jpg

then i've preshade the panel lines of 7 of my models...

DSCN8372_zpsmfga1fbh.jpg

and done a complete Krylon black job on the MiG-21SMT R25 model, prior to a BMF job... but i'll have to sand down smooth some area as there is some granularity on some (limited) area... but overall, it isn't bad...

DSCN8368_zpskvnkxsdf.jpg

that's all for today.

hope you've enjoy your visit in my WIP thread.

as always comments are welcome and appreciated.

cheers

Simon

little Valentine's day update...

i've started to scheme painting on a couple of my builds... it's progressing slowly, cos' as usual, i haven't spend as much time i would have like to on my projects...

in front, the PFM, with an unusual "training scheme" proposed in the Eduard's profipack boxing of this kit. (seen some ref. photo, it appears to have existed)

DSCN8373_zps9wdizaw6.jpg

then, there is the SM, with a very funky scheme, of a bird i never had the chance to see any photo of, but that 4 different decal maker offer... i based the scheme on a crossover of all of them... using Akan colors... some touch up will be done soon, mainly on the violet-brown and the ginger areas...

and there is also the "R" with masks in place prior painting the underside area...

DSCN8374_zpsnmkepikf.jpg

also a "bis" that receive a topside coat of air-superiority gray... but there was some dust problem on the model...and will have to do some sanding on a few spot prior to another coat...

DSCN8375_zps2gt57bmd.jpg

and my R75 SMT upside down, drying that way since a couple of days... awaiting the beginning of the BMF job it will have...

DSCN8376_zpsp3unt8pz.jpg

...some more photos of the same subjects... ...because it's all i have to show you for now...

DSCN8377_zpstjiaa3nk.jpg

DSCN8378_zpssrtntn9o.jpg

DSCN8379_zpsf8w0un6k.jpg

that's all for today... maybe i'll have some more time to work on my builds next week... but for now, i'll have to put all this aside for the week-end...as i'll have to spoil my girlfriend with quality time togetherwub.gif

thanks for looking

hope you have a great time

your comments are, as usual, appreciated and welcome!

Cheers

Simon

Edited by mingwin

hi David, in fact, it's 8 models! i'm doing simultaneously... (on a previous photo you can see 7 pre-shaded model on a shelf ...and one is missing...because it was drying elsewhere (the completely black-based one))

and to answer your question, the 3 others ( 1 "bis" and 2 SMT)will have different camo schemes. so in the end, the should be 1 BMF (R75SMT) 1 AirSuperiority Gray (bis) and 6 differently camouflaged Fishbed! to show a maximum variety of schemes (i already have a PF and a F-13 in BMF finish)

little weekly week-end update...

projects are progressing slowly...as usual... but i nonetheless manage to find some time for modelling...usually half an hour a day... late late at night...

first, i've done a camo job on a MiG-21bis. inspired by some photos found on the web (copyrighted by RobertS) ...this subject will probably be bort Red 27

all the camo jobs have been done freehand, using Akan...and model master colors (i didn't have all the required colors in the Akan range...) ...i've done some mixing, to match, as close as possible, the very few colors photos i've seen of the subject...

here's what it look like... i'll have some little touch-ups to do here and there, but overall, i'm rather pleased by the result:

DSCN8388_zpsx3twyehx.jpg

DSCN8389_zpsafv6dhji.jpg

DSCN8390_zpsbahaslrn.jpg

DSCN8391_zpssdevoyn4.jpg

i've also done some touch-ups on other model as well...

also painted some underside surfaces on 3 other models...

and darkens a little the lighter green on my MiG-21SM: (it was a bit too bright to my taste...

DSCN8392_zpszbbqb3bk.jpg

added the required brown patch on both sides of the nose of my MiG-21R:

DSCN8393_zpslkhtzeaj.jpg

and just did the underside on my PFM

DSCN8394_zpszapye9p2.jpg

that's all for today...

thank you for looking

hope you appreciate

and as usual, comments are welcome and appreciated!

Cheers

Simon