Revell PT-17 aftermarket - Lycoming R-680 engine?

Greetings,

It looks like the newish Revell 1/48 PT-17 Kaydet is a gem. Anyone know of any aftermarket planned for this kit? I know we have decals by Caracal. Come on you resin guys, give us a nice Lycoming R-680 engine so I can make a PT-13 variant.

David,

It appears that the R-680 you have has the rear mounted exhaust collector. The front type is very unusual for US radial engines. Here's a nice photo of how it looks on R-680 that goes on a PT-13A.

Clicky

Also a Wikipedia commons photo of a PT-13D with the R-680.

Clicky

David,

It appears that the R-680 you have has the rear mounted exhaust collector. The front type is very unusual for US radial engines. Here's a nice photo of how it looks on R-680 that goes on a PT-13A.

Clicky

Also a Wikipedia commons photo of a PT-13D with the R-680.

Clicky

Yup. That's my intention for the PT-17 kit and E&T resin, to fabricate that collector.

1416943042[/url]' post='2666058']

Weren't the Lone star resin bits for the old Lindberg kit?

They are not for the new Revell, but maybe they could be tweaked a bit to work. Gotta be better than the kit things! Hell, anything would be better that the kits version!

They are not for the new Revell, but maybe they could be tweaked a bit to work. Gotta be better than the kit things! Hell, anything would be better that the kits version!

Can you elaborate on "anything would be better" than the Revell cockpit?

Ok I might of exaggerated a bit.......it's not that bad. I guess the instrument panel is really just a simple layout anyway, so the kit good for that.....just some decal faces maybe. I did miss when looking the throttle controls and estiguisher, so that's good.

1417010457[/url]' post='2666216']

Well..., you could use the R-680 off the Lindberg PT-13. Maybe "harvest" the exhaust collector and graft it on the Engines and Things R-680...

C2j

No joy there, the Lindberg is also a PT-17 so it does not have an R-680. The PT-17 uses the Continental R-670 seven cylinder radial engine. The PT-13 uses the Lycoming R-680 nine cylinder radial engine. Different engines with different exhaust collector systems

No joy there, the Lindberg is also a PT-17 so it does not have an R-680. The PT-17 uses the Continental R-670 seven cylinder radial engine. The PT-13 uses the Lycoming R-680 nine cylinder radial engine. Different engines with different exhaust collector systems

I politely suggest that you have another look at the engine in the Lindberg "PT-17" kit. If you don't have the kit, pictures are readily available through Google.

C2j

I politely suggest that you have another look at the engine in the Lindberg "PT-17" kit. If you don't have the kit, pictures are readily available through Google.

C2j

Cubs2jets,

I don't understand what you mean. The Revell kit and the Lindberg kit are both PT-17's. They both have the seven cylinder R-670 engine. I found this photo on google of the Lindberg kit, but I don't see an exhaust collector as a separate part. In any case, it would still be an exhaust collector for a seven cylinder engine, not nine cylinders like the R-680 that goes in the PT-13.

clicky

Well, this is the Lindberg "PT-17". The engine is NOT perfect (7 vs. 9 cylinders), but it represents a front exhaust collector engine more like the R680 than the W670.

P3100060_zpscccf3b2b.jpg

imagesCA130A01_zps6467d12c.jpg

Since this is what you are wanting to acheive:

imagesCA2035E9_zpsed2206cb.jpg

This is the part you would need to scratch build for the Engines and Things R680:

mHGKgItvJ9QdlS4AcnwY1lA_zps26eba750.jpg

Shouldn't be too hard...

C2j

Edited by Cubs2jets
  • 1 year later...

Always late to the party!

Finally got around to picking up the kit. So is there anything new for this?

I have noticed a few things I think should be addressed.

One thing nobody else has mentioned before is the interior tube frame, is it oversize?

Wheels/tires? Smooth tread. If not what other aircraft used the same setup?

Seats? How about Hellcat or P-47 modified?

Have seen a new fantastic instrument panels from Yahu models.