1/32 Trumpeter P-38L Lightning- "Kicked Up A Notch"

Thanks a lot guys!

Hi Chuck,Absolutely uncontaminated and virginly clean build. Seriously, looks great. One more modeling maraphon and "how to" tutorial eventually came to the home stretch. Nothing against, but how about brining some life to the build? Maybe some washing here and there? Cheers and happy modeling!Alexander

Hi Alexander. I KNEW somebody would want some weathering! The reality is, this bird is squeaky clean in real life and engines are not operational, so where do you begin?

Looks awesome, Chuck!Enjoy your break!Duane

Will do Duane, although it will be a little tougher with our $0.69 Cdn dollar!

One thing I didn't get a chance to show off earlier is the effect of using the black Sharpie on the bottom of the side windows. In this close-up you can see a sliver of black at the bottom of the window, rather than a thick whitish blob that you usually see when clear plastic is glued to grey plastic. The black not only eliminates the whitish color, but it makes the window look much thinner than it really is- and more to scale.

Final33.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3

Very nice work, good work with the alclad finish, its not an easy thing to pull off convincingly. Any thoughts on what you're going to do next?

Maybe this. I'm still thinking about it, but the only thing for certain is that it will NOT be a Trumpeter kit again. Two in a row is punishment enough!

F-15I_Raam.jpeg

That is a wonderful job there Chuck. Your hard work paid off in spades. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: If it was not for the upside down shots I would have said you used a shrinking ray gun on a real P-38 :)

As for using the Trumpeter kit, you wanted to build a P-38 in 1/32 so what choice did you have? I believe only the very old Revell kit is your next option. Seen great results from that kit but lots of hard work plus it is not engraved.

Enjoy your trip to Maui. Was there in October last year but only spent a few hours on that island. Went to the ocean museum and that was great. Wish we had more time to spend. Maybe next time when the dollar is better.

Looking forward to seeing that P-38 in the near future.

That is a wonderful job there Chuck. Your hard work paid off in spades. :thumbsup:/> :thumbsup:/> :thumbsup:/> :thumbsup:/> If it was not for the upside down shots I would have said you used a shrinking ray gun on a real P-38 :)/>

As for using the Trumpeter kit, you wanted to build a P-38 in 1/32 so what choice did you have? I believe only the very old Revell kit is your next option. Seen great results from that kit but lots of hard work plus it is not engraved.

Enjoy your trip to Maui. Was there in October last year but only spent a few hours on that island. Went to the ocean museum and that was great. Wish we had more time to spend. Maybe next time when the dollar is better.

Looking forward to seeing that P-38 in the near future.

Hi Chris,

I thought of you a lot when I was contemplating exhaust stains, as we discussed in Nanton at the Model Contest last June. I was very tempted to add some subtle ones, but the real 1:1 bird is clean as a whistle, so I had to pass. Funny thing is, the number one critique I've been given over the years is that my models have too much weathering and now I didn't use any! Well, maybe a little bit on the tire treads as we discussed that day, because that exists on ALL aircraft as you pointed out.

Cheers,

Chuck

Chuck,

Simply stunning work! Your attention to detail is second to none. I personally think Marge is perfect without the slightest bit of weathering. Not many modelers can pull of a realistic looking bird with next to no weathering, but you certainly can!

Absolutely incredible!

Cheers,

Colin

Hi Alexander. I KNEW somebody would want some weathering! The reality is, this bird is squeaky clean in real life and engines are not operational, so where do you begin?

Hi Chuck,

Well, I would bring some dust to the wheels to begin with. :)/>

Alexander

Maybe this. I'm still thinking about it, but the only thing for certain is that it will NOT be a Trumpeter kit again. Two in a row is punishment enough!

F-15I_Raam.jpeg

[/quote

That'll be a nice plane to build, I've done the 1/32 F-15C and its a great kit, I believe the F-15E has some updated tooling (I could be wrong on this though). Just remember to attach the upper wings to the fuselage first otherwise you're going to have to deal with a nasty step where the wing joins the fuselage. If you're feeling particularly adventurous, make photocopies of the eagles head from the decal sheet and make a mask out of it (its the only way to get the colors to match on such a large area). I look forward to seeing your next build.

Hi Chuck,

I noticed your tire tread lines are flawless with perfect depths. Did you have to re-scribed them? If you had to scribe them deeper, what's your preferred method while keeping them parallel with each other? This is one area always gets me into troubled.

Absolutely incredible build. Thanks.

Regards

Triet

Hi Chuck,

I noticed your tire tread lines are flawless with perfect depths. Did you have to re-scribed them? If you had to scribe them deeper, what's your preferred method while keeping them parallel with each other? This is one area always gets me into troubled.

Absolutely incredible build. Thanks.

Regards

Triet

Hi Triet,

I did almost nothing to the Aires wheels, other than cut them off their casting blocks. They even came with painting masks and are the nicest tires/ wheels I've ever worked with. The tire treads were already parallel and clean.

Cheers,

Chuck

Amazing work as always! I have read both this and your P-51 chain over and over again! My only complaint is I need you to start another build thread ASAP, the lack of a Chuck build screws up my morning routine at work.

Thank you sir. It won't be too long until I'm at it again, but this time it will be a jet, it won't be made my Trumpeter and the modifications required will be minimal. Right now I'm thinking of the Israeli F-15I or an F-15C Aggressor.

Beautiful build Chuck, everything looks extremely precise.While I'm not a fan of the super clean look, I realise that's a matter of taste.Well done and good work.

To tell you the truth, I'm not a big fan of super clean aircraft either. All of my prior builds have had plenty of wear and tear along with a bit of grime to make them look more like the real thing than toys. I have taken a bit of heat over the years that I could hide imperfections with my heavily weathered style, so I thought I would try the super clean look to help dispel some of that. There is no hiding boo-boos with this finish!

Cheers,

Chuck

Thank you sir. It won't be too long until I'm at it again, but this time it will be a jet, it won't be made my Trumpeter and the modifications required will be minimal. Right now I'm thinking of the Israeli F-15I or an F-15C Aggressor.

Cheers,

Chuck

Ok so if you pick the F-15C aggressor in 1/32nd I have the Afterburner decal for the Aggressor squadron out of Nellis and the sheet has both 1/48 and 1/32nd. I have no interest in the 1/32nd markings. We can do a deal :)

Hey maybe do both an F-15I and an F-15C. Mini group build :thumbsup:. Although in 1/32nd it would not be mini :rofl: :rofl:

Edited by skyhawk174

Outstanding......One thing to keep in mind is pulling off a clean or pristine finish can be just as challenging if not more so than a heavily weathered finish as there is almost no room whatsoever for painting mistakes.

Elmo

Ok so if you pick the F-15C aggressor in 1/32nd I have the Afterburner decal for the Aggressor squadron out of Nellis and the sheet has both 1/48 and 1/32nd. I have no interest in the 1/32nd markings. We can do a deal

Hey maybe do both an F-15I and an F-15C. Mini group build Although in 1/32nd it would not be mini

Done Chris! I have that decal set too, but it's always better to have two sets of decals, just in case you screw one or two up.

One way to really put this bird (& build thread) to bed is to park it next to some of my other models in a glass cabinet. Not as good pics as found above, but you can get a sense of how this new P-38L model seems to just belong there.

Cabinet1.jpg

Stay tuned for my next project to start in a few weeks!

80-0010.jpg

(Pic used with permission)

Edited by chuck540z3