Where to find 1/48 Allison T-56?

Hello. I'll give the old "I'm newly back in the modeling game" and have a steep learning curve ahead of me with regards to what AM pieces are out there, and what is no longer available. For example, I should have picked up the North Star 1/48 Arrow cockpit set when I held it years ago, go figure, it's easier to find an actual Arrow than the 1/48 Cockpit Set!

I'm trying to gather up as many pieces as I can before starting an ID Vacuform kit, and one of the items I'm looking for is a 1/48 Allison T-56-A-14-LFE turboprop engine. Other than the Engines & Things 1/48 T-56, are there any other options available out there? Can't seem to find one, but I might be looking in the wrong places. With the 1/48 Herc being as popular as it is (or just the large number of 1/48 a/c using a T-56) , one would have thought that a T-56 would be available. I'm sure there's one, but I'm just barking up all the wrong trees.

Could someone please shed some light in the direction I should be going? Thanks.

Hello. I'll give the old "I'm newly back in the modeling game" and have a steep learning curve ahead of me with regards to what AM pieces are out there, and what is no longer available. For example, I should have picked up the North Star 1/48 Arrow cockpit set when I held it years ago, go figure, it's easier to find an actual Arrow than the 1/48 Cockpit Set!

I'm trying to gather up as many pieces as I can before starting an ID Vacuform kit, and one of the items I'm looking for is a 1/48 Allison T-56-A-14-LFE turboprop engine. Other than the Engines & Things 1/48 T-56, are there any other options available out there? Can't seem to find one, but I might be looking in the wrong places. With the 1/48 Herc being as popular as it is (or just the large number of 1/48 a/c using a T-56) , one would have thought that a T-56 would be available. I'm sure there's one, but I'm just barking up all the wrong trees.

Could someone please shed some light in the direction I should be going? Thanks.

the easiest place to find one is at the corner of Raymond Street and Tibbs Ave in Indy!(<G> Now that we've got the joke done, lets get serious. There are probably close to thirty different versions of the TF56, and some look a little different. Think the gear box on them are all similar externally, and haven't been in the plant in close to thirty years now (and I don't want to go there). Takes a pretty good clearance to get in the assembly area, as it's in the same room with the TF41's. Folks in there are not friendly.

I would politely ask Rolls Royce if they would send you a couple photos in an email. They just might.

glt

Thank you for your response. Yes, it's specifically the T-56-A-14-LFE I'm looking for., as it would be sitting inside the No.1 engine nacelle of a P-3/CP-140.

I've got a strong feeling I'm going to be scratching one up. But, you know what, that's the fun in this right? Luckily I am pretty close to a facility that does the engine work for our engines, and with a Tims coffee, I might be able to gain access to snap a few pictures.

Worst case, I scratch one up, make a resin mold, and hey, maybe make a few for anyone else wanting to make the big ole greyhound of death...?

Thank you for your response. Yes, it's specifically the T-56-A-14-LFE I'm looking for., as it would be sitting inside the No.1 engine nacelle of a P-3/CP-140.

I've got a strong feeling I'm going to be scratching one up. But, you know what, that's the fun in this right? Luckily I am pretty close to a facility that does the engine work for our engines, and with a Tims coffee, I might be able to gain access to snap a few pictures.

Worst case, I scratch one up, make a resin mold, and hey, maybe make a few for anyone else wanting to make the big ole greyhound of death...?

unless Allison (this is long before Rolls Royce came into the picture) made changes later on, I'd almost guess it to be very similar to the early C130's. Props appear to be shorter, and there maybe different gearing inside the gear box. If there is, we'd never know it! Hard to believe they are still building the TF56 after 60 years! Plus the public has never seen the hot rod versions.

gary

Oh, thankfully there haven't been too many changes. Whenever I have a chance though, and I pass by a Herc guy, I always make mention to them that their engines are upside down...

...I took a long hard look at the engine pack from our Hangar Queen... I think I'm going to have more fun scratching up all the "guts" of engine nacelle more than making the T-56 itself. Which isn't too bad, in that it'd be much easier to focus on just what is seen. That being said though, sure would be nice to have a nice 1/48 T-56 resin engine out there, but as you said, some parts can be generic, while others would need to be very specific.

Selfishly, my focus is on the P-3/CP-140 setup, so my efforts will be swung into that direction. None the less, thanks for your feedback.

Oh, thankfully there haven't been too many changes. Whenever I have a chance though, and I pass by a Herc guy, I always make mention to them that their engines are upside down...

Well, I'm a Herk guy and I hate to break it to ya but we had it right in the first place... More T-56's are installed the right side up. All those Navy and civy aircraft have them upside down. :touche:/>/>/>

All kidding aside, all T-56 engines were installed the same. It's just the reduction gear boxes were upside down on the P-3/CP-140, E-2, C-2, L-188 and CV-580.

...I took a long hard look at the engine pack from our Hangar Queen...

Sounds like you work at IMP? I used to work heavy maintenance on the Herk at NWI... which became CAE Aviation... which became SPAR Aviation Services at which time I left... and it then became a part of the L3 conglomerate and is now out of business.

I still have a lot of my T-56 training material and may be able to help with engine details if you decide to go the scratch building route. Just let me know if you need anything specific and I'll see if I can help you out.

Cheers,

John

Edited by CF104

John,

Strength in numbers does not mean anyone is right! Lol. Its fun to get the rise out of them with the engine joke, quite a few hadn't noticed that before...

Not IMP, but close. 405 Pathfinders at ZX. 109 is a training bird used by a few units down here, and she's completely opened up in some sections out there on the Hangar floor. Beside her is a great display of a T56 on an engine stand, all access panels off (we're talking from the hub mounting ring, to the trailing edge of the wing). Looks like I'll be spending quite a few lunches there taking notes!

As for your offer of help, yes please! Anything that can help me with the dimensions, shapes, and hard numbers that will help me come up with a scaled T56 would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!

WOW! In 1/72?!! I would have believed 1/32!! Thanks for sharing that link!