Load-out for a VFA-122 F/A-18F?

I´m currently doing a VFA-122 F/A-18F. Since I learned that this unit is mainly doing transition of new pilots to become Super Hornet-drivers, my thought was that there should be at least some basic weapons training.

My idea was to mount a MER (with training bombs) on one side and a LAU-68 on the other. Does that sound legit?

HAJO

Quite an interesting thread over on Britmodeller about training load-outs on Hornets (admittedly, Legacy ones rather than E/Fs -but probably still applicable):

Link

No idea where you get scale LUU-2s though!

Also, I have a personal liking for blue LGBs...I imagine these form a core part of the How-Tos for aspiring Hornet riders?

VFA-122 is tasked with teaching pilots how to fly the E//F. Other than MAYBE a MER or two with Mk-76 practice bombs, and maybe a LATR pod under an outer pylon, its highly unusual to see anything other than gas bags except possibly for an airshow static display. Most operational weapons practice or training would come when the pilot is qualified inthe airplane and assigned to a fleet squadron.

I´m doing it in 1/72, you can follow my build in the Hornet GB-section. For the decals... I have some stencils from a FTD-set that may work, other markings I´m planning to paint on, and some simply have to be left out.

HAJO

For 122, typically all you see is a MER with either Mk 76's on all 6 points, or an LGTR on the 2 bottom points. And then either a CATM 9M or 9X on a wingtip.

As far as markings go, in 1/48, CAM did a set 48-095, and there is also a set in the newer Revell E model box. The downside being these are HiViz markings, and the only HiViz birds that 122 has is 103 and 122 (which is a tribute to the 2 lost avaitors from 2011) The F models are modexed in the 100 range and the E models are in the 200 range.

Well, I´m not going to do a HighViz-marking, but the "brown 101"-bird.

This one:

4272653011_aec0ce4eb8.jpg

I think scratchbuilding a LGTR is easier than doing MK-76s, so thank you very much for the input! I will do that!

HAJO

Yes you could use the ATFLIR. Sometimes they will practice buddy lazing a target as well. If you do use a pod, it would be the standard gray color. None of the 122/125 camo birds had pods painted to match, only fuel tanks.