Academy 1:48 F-111F Aardvark

• 5 weeks later...

Yes! Looks awesome. I have an E in the stash I'm hoping to build soon. Can't wait to see more.

What's been the biggest hurdle for this?

biggest hurdle, with any long build ... motivation. :) My next build is going to be shake'n'bake build.

• 5 months later...

after a long hiatus, building other kits, clearing my dad's house, moving into my own house ... this model is essentially done.

glued on the last few antennas, crew doors. Will add wheel chocks and take better pics later

21kza04.jpg

Masterpiece! Please tell your secret of opening the canopy. I only manage to destroy mine.

Thanks

Not much of a secret. Just take your sharp hobbyknife and gently press along the panel line you want to cut. With each pass, you cut a little deeper. When it's close to cutting through, cut from the other side of the plastic too.

after a long hiatus, building other kits, clearing my dad's house, moving into my own house ... this model is essentially done.

glued on the last few antennas, crew doors. Will add wheel chocks and take better pics later

21kza04.jpg

What a zinger!

A great result and far, far better looking than the terrible HB kit,

cheers,

Pappy

Thanks

Not much of a secret. Just take your sharp hobbyknife and gently press along the panel line you want to cut. With each pass, you cut a little deeper. When it's close to cutting through, cut from the other side of the plastic too.

Thanks. That's the method I've tried several times and haven't yet been successful with. The Vark looks way more menacing with those open canopies.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 5/1/2020 at 8:38 PM, BastianD said:

Too bad that not all pictures can still be viewed!

I’ve finally started to build my ‘ultimate’ F-111F, using a HB kit as a starting point, but using any and every aftermarket part required improve accuracy… including a standby Academy kit if required.

I’ve tried to collate all the tips in this and other WIP threads, but I remember seeing a build somewhere where the modeller had widened the fuselage to correctly space the Dmold intakes… could anyone point me towards that WIP ?

Thanks in advance. 

22 hours ago, Keith T said:

I’ve finally started to build my ‘ultimate’ F-111F, using a HB kit as a starting point, but using any and every aftermarket part required improve accuracy… including a standby Academy kit if required.

I’ve tried to collate all the tips in this and other WIP threads, but I remember seeing a build somewhere where the modeller had widened the fuselage to correctly space the Dmold intakes… could anyone point me towards that WIP ?

Thanks in advance. 

Hi Keith, see my WIP on F-111F Academy build with that DMold intakes.

also pdf instructions on hand to share