Academy 1:48 F-111F Aardvark

Looking good Benner! The weapons bay seems to fit well in the Academy fuselage. How does it go for accuracy? Not that it matters if you're going to put a Pavetack pod in there...

Accuracy? well, it is the Hobbyboss F-111 :) I'm no expert on the F-111 weapons bay, but I do know it lacks the angled front end of the bay, there's no cover for that rod down the middle, and the hinges don't line up with the detail of the Academy kit. But otherwise, it looks better than having an empty void into the kit and that's the main reason why I used it.

Benner,

I must confess that I do get somewhat lost in all the detail discussions as my some what limited area of expertise is USAAF WW11 aircraft. So I'll confine my comments to your actual build as it progresses. The kit bashed main body section really looks quite good as though all the individual parts were designed to fit together as a single unit. The supporting post to stretch the fuselage and help eliminate what would have been a nasty step to deal with, demonstrates the level that you model at.

Joel

The Dmold intakes have been glued on. I've made one wing glove out of sheet styrene. It was made with the shape of the Verlinden PE piece which is for a wing in full forward sweep. Before I used that part on my EF-111 Raven, I traced it onto sheet styrene and scribed the necessary lines before cutting. The port one still needs to be made.

Putty is your friend:

rms3d0.jpg

Edited by Benner

Nice one Benner! FYI the part you refer to as the glove is actually called the side seal. The glove is the aerodynamic area of the forward fuselage just behind the crew module. 👍

Edited by nimrod77

Nice one Benner! FYI the part you refer to as the glove is actually called the side seal. The glove is the aerodynamic area of the forward fuselage just behind the crew module. 👍

ah, I couldn't think of the proper words, thanks :)

Benner,

Excellent progress. Nice job on the side seal. Will they be blended into the fuselage sides? The DMold looks like it took a fair amount of work to blend in, but looks perfect now.

Joel

No, other than painting, I don't intend to do anything else with the side seals.

Here's how it is now. Glued a couple heat exchanger vents from the F-111E boxing behind the bomb bay. The F-111F has four of them, so I need to acquire another two or scratch-build them.

Also started work on the Pave Tack pod and cradle a while back. I've added sheet styrene to the kit pod to form the back.

if72wz.jpg

Benner,

I'm still some what confused as to the side seals, so I did a few Google searches to try and figure out exactly what they really look like. In the picture below, the side seal looks like it's flush to the side of the fuselage, and has a opening for the wing to continue to fold backwards to a full swept position.

Joel

F_111_A8_110.jpg

Nimrod77,

Thank you for posting those two pictures. I'm assuming that the air rushing over both surfaces of the wing moves in a linear path and doesn't force itself into the fuselage. The solution looks to be both lightweight, and extremely functional.

Joel

Here's a dry fit of the Pave Tact pod and in-progress cradle. The cradle isn't that accurate but good enough for me :)

mtwacn.jpg

Nimrod, question for you, the conduit from the fuselage pylon, does it go all the way to the main gear bay?

No the "Spoon" fairing stops just in front of the aft main gear door.

Thanks for the reference pics :)

Just for comparison sake as I get parts ready for white paint, here is the new nose gear parts versus the original gear parts

xd9och.jpg