1/48 CP-140M Aurora -

Hello.

Well, the long haul begins! The last of the items came in the mail for this build, and so, without further delay, lets get started!

Build Introduction

Having the great fortune of working on board the CP-140 Aurora, I've grown very fond of the idea of building a model of it. I'm a huge fan of 1/48, and as we all now, there is a very serious lack of a mainstream 1/48 kit. It's truly a surprise, given that the P-3 is used by so many different countries, with so many different markings, and so many variations available, that nothing is available in this scale (yet?). Sure, she'd be big - and more on that later - but, there are certainly bigger kits out there available. In a day and age where we are seeing 1/32 B-17's and Lancasters, along with a 1/24 Mossie, and Typhoon (among many other large kits), size isn't a believable excuse! Heck, the 1/72 Peacemaker and Stratofortress have been around for some time, and they're not small kits... anyway, that's a discussion for another time.

Some time back I remember hearing about a 1/48 Vacuform available of the P-3. Didn't take long at all to find, and John at Tigger Hobbies was a HUGE help in getting one over the pond. As you'll see in the pictures, he even went so far as to carefully cut up the large sheet and packed it carefully to help cut down on the cost of shipping. And with that, the planning began. Now the planning portion starts, and I can see it's going to be a long road from where it is now, to where I want it to be.

The CP-140 Aurora, RCAF's Long Range Patrol aircraft, is based on the Lockheed P-3 Orion. Externally, there really isn't much different between the two, although inside the aircraft, it's completely different. The latest upgrade, the Block III, or CP-140M, is very similar to the previous Block II Aurora, although externally there are different wing-tips (for the ESM pods), a few different antenna, a few additional antenna, and some other minor details. Internally, the layout is the same, although the work stations have had a significant improvement and upgrade.

My specific subject will be a 405 Pathfinder Squadron bird, with our Eagle up on the vertical stab. Which exact aircraft, I'm not 100% sure yet. I've had some memorable flights on all of them, and given that there is very little different between the individual platforms, I'll leave the specific tail number until the end.

The Kit and Aftermarket

The model is the 1/48 Vacuform P-3 Orion available from Tigger Hobbies, and for what it is worth, really does seem to be a fantastic representation of the P-3, but more on that later on. Here is what came from John:

20141128_010743_zpse7154a17.jpg

Shown along with the 1/72 P-3 fuselage, and a 24 inch ruler, the fuselage is brilliantly formed. The plastic used for all the pieces is 1mm thick, and what you get is a smooth finish with very little in the way of panel lines. On the fuselage itself, there are no panel lines, which I was thankful for! There are no ripples, creases, or deformities on any of the parts, let alone the two huge fuselage halves. As you can see, the vertical stab was cleanly cut away by John to fit into a smaller shipping box.

20141128_010835_zpsbc63c43a.jpg

The wing halves. The overall shape of the Nacelles can be seen from this shot, and again, it is for the most part, pretty spot on. You can definitely make out the nice pinched shape on the upper halves of the nacelles which is a very prominent shape on the real thing as well. The only lines are for the ailerons, which again, avoids the deep trench type of panel lines seen on many vacuform kits that attempt to represent panels.

20141128_010958_zps25598366.jpg

Vertical and horizontal stabilizer pieces.

20141128_011101_zps5796756a.jpg

Engines, props, hubs, and wheels.

20141128_011212_zps0907c214.jpg

MAD boom, wheels, and... yes... something...

20141128_011326_zpsf5934848.jpg

A pair of front windscreen pieces (no observers blisters or other windows). After the photo, I peeled back the blue protective plastic and was really blown away; the clear pieces are VERY thin, and INCREDIBLY clear!

20141128_011313_zps0fce587e.jpg

Looking at the inside of the wheels, you can see that a lot of care was taken to try and get the right shape to things - unfortunately very little of that detail came through on the other side.

Edited by Aurora Mark

The engine nacelles, hubs, props, windscreens and wheels will not be used for the build. The Nacelles, hubs, and props though were ordered from Lone Star Models. It is fantastic that there is an option available in 1/48 resin to replace the vacuform pieces, especially with such a dynamic and fluid shape to them. That being said, there is still going to be a lot of time spent to get them right:

20141128_004856B_zpse1f3288c.png

What you get: 2 outboard nacelles, 2 inboard nacelles (with MLG wheel well bulge), 4 spinners and 16 blades.

20141128_015243_zps51db8ae4.jpg

The spinners aren't too bad. Nice conical shape to them, and only a little bit of work to clean up where the propeller blade shaft will go in. Adding the 'donut' to the tip of the spinner will not prove to be a problem either.

20141128_005738_zps90491619.jpg

20141128_005748_zpsdc0bc092.jpg

The props aren't bad either. The flash will clean up easily, however, there will need to be some careful filling and sanding to take care of the mold seams and bubbles present on some of the blades. The great news though is there's no major warping going on, and they've got a great shape (twist) to them like the real deal.

20141128_005727_zps87f89d4d.jpg

Just a rough mock-up, they all fit nicely, and you can see the twist I mentioned. Nicely done.

My excitement ended there. The overall shape of the nacelles for the most part is okay. But the work that will be needed to hollow them out (because that is quite a bit of weight waiting to be mounted on the kit), and to fix the shape issues around the air intakes isn't going to be easy.

20141128_014929_zps8959e9a4.jpg

20141128_015203_zpsf5739965.jpg

20141128_015052_zps953a092a.jpg

20141128_015127B_zpsd6071dd2.png

It's not impossible, and again, I'm very thankful there is this option for the nacelles, they're just going to need a bit of TLC, that's all.

References

20141128_010429_zpsde6c0035.jpg

The 1/72 P-3C kit is going to be used as a reference. Great little kit, having built one of these years ago. I had an extra kit and some AM extras stashed away for years, and now it's coming out to help as a guide.

Other reference information is going to come primarily from walking around work.

I mentioned dimensions... I couldn't help it. So out came the ruler and the calculator. The wingspan is spot on - off my literally a few mm's! As for the fuselage diameter, it's bang on! The length of the fuselage though is off by a full inch. So, tomorrow I'm going to swing down to the guys with the blueprints, and see where I'm missing some fuselage. The easy thing is that it's a nice round tube, so, it's only a matter of cutting the fuselage, and adding some plastic sheet to get the length right - and I have a sinking suspicion it'll be aft of the wings. All in all though, it already looks like a CP-140, just a bit of fine tuning, that's all.

So, planning will continue along. The first steps will involve the fuselage length as mentioned above, and then planning out the internal frame.

Any suggestions, comments, or advice is always welcomed. Thanks for looking, and hopefully more to come soon!

CW, nothing sad about that! The more joining in the show, the marrier!

I've found a fantastic document here that has a scaled cross section of our CP-140. It's the Block II, however, all the same measurements would pertain to the Block III. With that in hand, I'll certainly know exactly where the missing inch needs to go, along with being able to plan out and construct the floor layout and properly place all the key components.

Although there aren't many windows on the Aurora, there certainly is a great way of showing her internal components through the main cabin door, port & stbd overwing emergency exits, and the two others up on the flight deck. At least this way, along with the port/stb forward and aft observation windows, quite a bit of the inside of the fuselage can be shown. Other plans are for an open bomb-bay, but I'm not sure if I want to drop the flaps or not. We always leave them down when she's put to bed at night, so it'd only seem right... however, there is a heck of a lot to build up underneath.

Time will tell, but we'll keep things to the fuselage for now.

Alright...glad to see this one being built up! I figure, the more of these that get built to satisfy the Plastic Gods the better the chance that there will be an injection molded kit done up. I salute your sacrifice!

The first paragraph of you introduction reflects exactly how I feel about a 1/48 P-3...sorry CP-140. I have a little over 2,000 hours in P-3s. I've been aboard CP-140s a couple of time when you guys would stop off in Brunswick. The interiors are indeed different. I would love to do a cut away in 1/48 scale showing all the crew positions.

Good luck on the build.

Alright...glad to see this one being built up! I figure, the more of these that get built to satisfy the Plastic Gods the better the chance that there will be an injection molded kit done up. I salute your sacrifice!

The first paragraph of you introduction reflects exactly how I feel about a 1/48 P-3...sorry CP-140. I have a little over 2,000 hours in P-3s. I've been aboard CP-140s a couple of time when you guys would stop off in Brunswick. The interiors are indeed different. I would love to do a cut away in 1/48 scale showing all the crew positions.

Good luck on the build.

That's how it works, right? Three weeks before I put the final paint on with markings, the kit will be announced. I'll consider holding off, but will finish the build regardless. And although I'll have a 1/48 CP-140, I'll still purchase the new release from Revell, look it over, swear a little, grin a little, consider selling it to make my money back, sweat over all the things done right about it but be quiet about it, but highlight every short coming... ...and then end up keeping the kit anyway as a "just in case" :rofl:/>

Yeah, we definitely like sporting the 1970's Winnebago look, Lol. It's great having everyone sitting so close together, and yell at each other off headset. Listen, if you're ever up around my neck of the woods, drop me a line. The door's always open!

This is going to be epic! Good luck with the build.

Thanks Hornet! Much appreciated.

As good luck would have it, I managed to get my sticky little fingers on the actual Lockheed document to borrow and take home. It's the 1/20th scale drawings of the CP-140 interior, labelled "Inboard Profile P-3 CP-140" drawing number 96559, showing both sides, top and cross cuts of the fuselage. This is going to be absolutely instrumental when it comes time to plan the layout. Having the paper copy and the digital copy will allow me to pring out a scaled down version to use as well. Once I'm home tonight I'll snap a few pictures and answer the question of where the missing length of fuselage is.

Thanks again for your comments. More to follow soon!

Edited by Aurora Mark

This is going to be a fantastic build to follow. I love a good vacform and will watch with much interest. Tigger's kits are great; I've built a few now and the plastic is a joy to work with. You may well even inspire me to purchase this kit too.

I'm subscribing for the long haul!

Tom

Wow, you've got balls of steel my friend, just seeing this vaccum formed styrene send me chills... I made a 1-72nd Tutor and Arrow a longgggg time ago and I still got bruises to show...

I will be watching, I built an Hasegawa CP-140 with Canuck models decals a while ago, best of luck on your build. I built up quite a few refs for this build, if you need anything just let me know.

The pics do not show up -- Stupid Photobucket...

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=259541&st=0&p=2461344&hl=cp-140&fromsearch=1entry2461344

You can see the pics here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/101404959@N02/sets/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/101404959@N02/sets/72157638223243436/

Edited by yvesff

Tom, thank you very much! I hope the show will be worth the long go I'm sure this one will be.

Yvesff, thank you as well! I'm not going to even try and hide it... I've spent the last 10 minutes quickly going through a lot of your photo's (including the CP-140... 405 Squadron, very nice!), and after this post, will be going right back to look at some more! Fantastic shots!

Well, first thing I got to doing once I got home was to go at finding these measurements, and start comparing out what I had...

20141128_190216_zps83a222e9.jpg

Told you it was a big sheet!

Just looking top down, the aircraft looks right up front, but a bit on the short side aft of the wings, along with a really odd MAD boom. So, first step was to determine the scale of the image. Although the original was 1/20, this one is scaled down quite a bit, so comparing the actual length of the fuselage from nose to end of the MAD boom, I converted the inches into mm's. Comparing that with the length on the paper, I had roughly a 1:42 scale I was working with. Too easy. A quick little bit of work on excel, and the table was ready to be filled in. I broke the measurements down by key lengths to figure out exactly where I was short, so here were the measurements, and the results (to save time, I'm just putting in the difference between lengths on the scale schematic, and the fuselage piece:

20141128_191706_zpsd2225223.jpg

A. Nose to Leading Edge Of Wing - 1 mm longer - not at all worried

B. Leading Edge to Trailing Edge of Wing - 2 mm longer - again, not at all worried

C. Trailing Edge of Wing to Trailing Edge of Rudder - 24 mm short.

D. Trailing Edge of Wing to End of MAD Boom - 41 mm short

E. Trailing Edge of Rudder to Start of MAD Boom - 2 mm longer - leaving something for the rivet counters?

F. Nose to Start of Mad Boom - 21 mm short

G. Nose to H.Stab Leading Edge - 20 mm short

H. Total Length of MAD Boom - 19 mm short.

So, using these measurements, the Mad Boom is about 20 mm short, and the fuselage between the trailing edge of the wing and the start of the vertical stabilizer is about 20-24 mm short. It all added up to what was short when compared to the Lockheed diagram of our CP-140, so, mystery solved! I have to say, I'm really, really impressed with how accurate the front half of the fuselage is when it comes to measurements.

That's about it for now. More to come soon hopefully.

Edited by Aurora Mark

Gil Hodges over at Hyperscale built this kit a while ago... He has the same problem as me with his photos on the HS thread... but I found his photobucket account...

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/slowhandshodges/library/P-3C%20Orion%20build?sort=3&page=1

Edited by yvesff

Yeah, we definitely like sporting the 1970's Winnebago look, Lol. It's great having everyone sitting so close together, and yell at each other off headset. Listen, if you're ever up around my neck of the woods, drop me a line. The door's always open!

Thanks again for your comments. More to follow soon!

In the P-8, they're all back to "riding the rail"!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry for the delay; I had an impromptu "fishing trip" come up. But, while away, I studied the Aurora some more in greater detail, and came up with a plan that better suits this build, but more on that later.

Very cool build! What about using 1/48 E-2C engine nacelle parts from the Kinetic kit grafted onto the wings?...

Thanks Brian! I did actually look at using other engines, or propellers. The E-2C is very close, however, there are enough differences, than the amount of work would be far greater than trying to rescue the resin plugs. There isn't too much to do to the resin blocks, other than fix the shape of the intakes, hollow them out, and filling/rescribe the panel lines to reflect port/starboard sections. The overall shape isn't too bad, and certainly is easier to fix these, than make new ones from scratch. But the ram-air intakes, the oil coolers, and most importantly, shape of the intakes will need some work.

Gil Hodges over at Hyperscale built this kit a while ago... He has the same problem as me with his photos on the HS thread... but I found his photobucket account...

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/slowhandshodges/library/P-3C%20Orion%20build?sort=3&page=1

Just took a look at Gil Hodges's build pictorial that Yvesff posted the link to. Impressive would be a major understatement. More like simply incrediable !!

Joel

Gil Hodges has done some incredible work there! I must have read over the build thread about a dozen times while I was away. Thanks for sharing this! He did an absolutely fantastic job, and having held the pieces he started with, yes, I certainly tip my hat to him and hope that I can come close.

I bounced a few ideas through my head... but finally settled on starting with the more involving build section - the fuselage (however, when looking at the work needing to be done to the main landing gear wells and the flaps, that can very easily be argued).

The first step will be to sand off the fuselage halves from the sheet, and mark out where all the cuts will be going to lengthen the fuselage in the required locations. After that is done, then I'm going to be studying those drawings very carefully to match up exactly where the main cuts will be going (main cabin door, observation blisters, canopy windows, bomb bay, nose wheel bay, hydraulic service center, and other key openings). Once those are done and at the right size, then the fun will begin. I want to break the fuselage down into "block assemblies" which will be:

-Flight Deck

-Nose Landing Gear Well

-Bomb Bay

-Main Cabin

-Hydraulic Service Center

The plan is to build the basic frame of each, without any further construction. Once I have the basic pieces (think... nose gear box, bomb-bay box, etc), I'll be able to map out exactly where the frame-structure to keep this in line will go. The other consideration will be weight. She's going to be a big bird, with a nice heavy tail on her. So, the considerations on how to balance her out so that she sits on her nose wheels, while avoiding so much weight that the landing gear may be damaged over time will be a fun trick.

But, as for work tonight, I'm going to take a few more minutes, then it's time to unpack, and head to bed. Hopefully tomorrow there will be some more promising photographs to post up of progress.

Thanks!

These arrived as well!

20141128_014842_zps5aeaf04c.jpg

20141128_015356_zpsccd1153d.jpg

20141128_010203_zpsacd6ceb3.jpg

20141128_015436_zpsab5c29c6.jpg

Fantastic detail and perfect resin casting of these torps. Aside from these, the resin T-56 from E&T, and the resin engine and props, I haven't been able to find a single accessory or AM part that will be able to help with this one, so it's going to be a lot of fun seeing what I can do with white plastic. Talk about shaking out the cob-webs!

The first fuselage half is free and cleaned up, and work will hopefully continue on the second one later on. I hope to be able to show the one fuselage half extended where it needs to be by the end of tonight. Wish me luck!

Edited by Aurora Mark

More was done with a calculator and ruler tonight than with a knife and CA glue, but it is progress none the less.

As mentioned, the fuselage halves were separated from the sheet. Here's the port fuselage half on the mirror:

20141208_231021_zpsf509cc2e.jpg

Next up after that, I had taken the sheets sent from Lockheed and printed out a scale length copy using the ole printer. I say scale length only, because I wanted overlap (in height) to be able to line up all the key parts (such as start of the vertical fin, the end of the rudder, the curve around the nose, bomb bay and just aft of the SLTs). The plans were made an additional 5% taller, but the length was as close as I could get it to scale. Going over things about a million times it seems, the magic number comes to 741mm in length:

20141208_231212_zpsff401909.jpg

Once on, I wanted to size up again exactly where the length was missing. Knowing already that the MAD boom was too short, I took the measurements from where the MAD boom exits the tail (and... that's where it was already cut, so no fuss there):

20141208_231243_zpsae09c107.jpg

I checked the measurements a few times... and low and behold, I found the error of my ways from above... much, MUCH better to use scaled printed sheets, rather than a longer roll... the roll was printed nicely, but alas! It was stretched! Using the e-mailed sheets from our Lockheed rep really saved the day... so as it turns out, the lack of length was only 1/4 of an inch!

Comparing the profile with the vacuform kit, the best place for the cut is just aft of the trailing edge of the wings, and forward of the Main Cabin Door:

20141208_232703_zps1c4e8458.jpg

20141208_232717_zpsf8f8d247.jpg

The only down side to being cut there, is the close proximity to the main cabin door. It's a big ole opening in the side of the fuselage, so rather than going at it right now with the old model knife, I thought it would be wiser to just hold off on all the cutting, and map out all the other cuts I would be making first. No sense in making a cut so close to an opening that I really wouldn't have a way of strengthening it. I think I will also stagger the cut (as far forward as possible on the port side due to the Main Cabin Door opening, while pushing it a little further aft by about a half inch to an inch on the starboard side, so to avoid a weak point at the top/bottom of the fuselage. The other down side is that right behind it on the bottom of the fuselage are the SLT's, so I need to be careful about exactly where the cuts will go. But, it's plastic, right? Anything is possible.

I have to say though, I'm really, REALLY impressed with the overall dimensions. I went to see the diameter of the tube, to see how close it was. The scale outside diameter is 72mm... well, guess what!

20141208_232828_zps0b1c34f3.jpg

Next up will be getting the actual dimensions of all the openings on the fuselage, and mapping out their locations. Once done, and they're all cut out, and after the 1/4 inch stretch is done, it'll be time to start moving onto the other assemblies on the fuselage. Hopefully more progress pictures to follow very soon.

Thanks!

To go further, as mentioned, I needed a base to start from, and the main cabin floor would be as good a place as any. Most of the key pieces are lined up either directly with it (such as the main cabin door), or directly under it (like the bomb-bay roof). But also, having the main cabin floor mapped out, I'd be able to plan on exactly where the structure for the main wing spars would be built, so that was the bit of work done tonight between breaks on house reno's. Always seems we're scratch building something... hahaha, though, the house at times is much easier than this Aurora.

So, the first step was to go to the drawings showing fuselage sections. Although the fuselage itself has many various shapes to it (such as the bulge around the bomb bay), the fuselage itself is one big pressurized tube. Taking one of the easier fuselage cross cuts, I cleaned up the extra writing and drawings, leaving me with just a floor, inner and outer skin. I made this quick little graphic to illustrate this:

FuselageFloor_zps01bd4081.png

Actual sizes and the 1/48 scale mm equivalent. Armed with this, I went and cut a piece of 1mm evergreen sheet to match the vacuform kits interior fuselage, and marked off the vertical center-line as well as the floor level:

20141210_220623_zpsa6d4ba1c.jpg

I then took the main sections of the fuselage cross cuts from the prints, and roughly marked them out. From here, it was simply placing the disc in and marking off the floor level. Here's a shot of the first one:

20141210_221820_zpsff70dfe0.jpg

The last section (most aft) was done the same as the previous disc, and the extra 1/4 inch the fuselage will be stretched there was also taken into account. Once it was all done, I marked off where the main cabin floor ends port and aft based on the diagrams. I gave the techs a quick phone call to ask a silly question (and I must say, the guys and gals at the shop have been a HUGE help gathering resources for this build). The Main Cabin Floor measures 21.06m in the books. So, about 439mm tip to tail. This entire process leading up to the drawing of a single line may have been tedious, but the cabin floor line measured out to be 438mm! So, that's it for the work tonight, I'm going to end it on a high note:

20141210_223542_zpsdce80ff4.jpg

Work in the background on the research of this project is also continuing. I'm trying to get a head start on the markings for this aircraft. She's got A LOT of stencils on her, so gathering up that information, and hopefully being able to get dry transfers made up is starting up. As for the larger markings (roundels, fuselage number, Canadian Flag and Casey), I'm going to look at making paint masks for those. Luckily, on the exterior of her, there are only two main colours, the dark grey and light grey. The finishing shop was kind enough to e-mail me the FS numbers, but like a fool, they're still at work. The truly daunting task is going to be the exterior though.

With her mix of raised panel lines (really, the raised lines on the 1/72 P-3 are pretty spot on), flush and popped up rivets, dirt, dents, grime, and all the other lovely marks of a hard working lady, getting it just right is going to be a fun go. Heck, to make life hopefully easier I went over to the other side of the hangar to look over... curses! Aside from the flush rivets, the rest are fairly visible. Either the Hangar is too small or I've been eating too many carrots, but there's not getting away from it.

On that note though, anyone looking to build either a '48 of this aircraft, or a 1/72 scale of it, if there's anything I can hopefully provide you with regards to reference material, never hesitate to ask. And if you've got any advice or suggestions, please fire them at me. Always looking for input from you guys.

Thanks.

Mark If you are not aware of this there is a company called Canmilair on line that will print 1/48 decals for you but they are not cheap ($36.00 to $40.00 plus shipping Cdn) but I thought I would pass it on for info purposes,

Cheers

Bruce

Edited by RCAFFAN

Hi Bruce. I've used decals from CanMilAir in the past on some projects years ago, and they are absolute gems. I did look at them, and was disappointed that they are 407 centric - or rather, there isn't a single "Casey" available (405 Squadron Eagle on the vertical stab). But, at least the guys out West with their flying dinner fork can't complain about being forgotten (again) lol.

I'm waiting to hear back from friends about paint masks, and if they can use the vector of Casey I sent them to cut a 1/48 mask of our Eagle. If that's the case, then I'll also get the roundels, flag, and aircraft numbers done at the same time. Cost of shipping and materials would come to slightly less than the 1/48 set of decals.

The only difficulty is that I haven't been able to nail down which aircraft no I'm going to build. I was hoping this last fishing trip would have answered that, but it's still up in the air... ...no pun intended.

Mark,

Here are some more resources for your tool chest. Maketar Masks Scroll down and you will see generic RCAF markings that might help you get there. Haven't used the product but it looks like it might be what you will be looking for. As for your stencil data source please do share......

:cheers:

Emil

Emil,

WOW! Okay, well, that is a fantastic option! Thank you very much for that! I'm going to definitely need to figure out the fuselage number first before I go on, however, that is going to be a HUGE help. The only downside though, is that in order to get what I need, I'm looking at ordering up to 5 separate sets. Not bad if I'm planning on doing future Canadian aircraft. I'm going to wait out until I hear back from my buddies though. Luckily, lots of time between now, and when I'm going to need the masks.

As for the stencil data source, it's directly from the finishing schematics/diagrams used by our aircraft technicians when painting/repairing items. The ones they can't provide are going to simply be photographed with a ruler to determine exact size/font. Straight from the source!

Thanks again Emil!