Anybody do any metal machining?

I'm wondering if any ARC members do any metal machining? I would like a simple part made of steel, brass, or aluminum, whatever's convenient.

vise-shaft_zps38c2e827.png

The shaft is 0.625" x 2.0" with a 5/16-18 x 0.25" stud.

Please PM me if you could make this.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave

Your diagram is a little basic, is that a screw thread at the end? if it is, I think you could make it yourself. Get some metal (in your choice of type)in the diameter you want, then get a tap & die set & put your choice of thread on it.I might be reading the picture wrong though. Maybe if you have a metal fabrication place near by, & you bring your own metal, someone might do it for correct price (Beer?) Thanks

Ash

Anybody... :tumble:

Aaahhh... I've been there before, as this post has somehow brought back memories to me. :lol:

Hi there, David!

Ash's advice is quite ok, but if ya didn't have or want to get a tap & die set (perhaps ya didn't even want to bother with doin' it yerself), ya always might as well go ask some locksmith to do it for ye. I did it once I needed a lil' piece of brass machined to fashion a landin' gear strut.

Cheers, Dave!

Unc²

Going from 1/2" to 1/4" is a bit more than just running a die down it, it will need to be turned.

Or if you are capable of threading the stock, you might be able to get the 2 different diameter's in tube and rod form, and slide the smaller rod into the tube.

And 5/16-18 is the thread size.

What are you making? a small hammer handle??

Curt

Edited by Netz

The main shaft is 5/8" diameter and the thread has a basic outside diameter of 5/16; a die cannot remove that much material. It needs to be machined if a single piece or the main shaft drilled and tapped if a 5/16 stud is used. I guess I'll try the latter approach, at least I have a drill press...

BTW, the drawing above is dimensionally accurate, at least to the limits of what Inkscape can do...