Sprue Brothers "Lowest Cost" shipping can cost you more

I placed an order from Sprue Brothers yesterday and selected the new "Lowest Cost Available" option, which SB says will give you the lowest shipping cost possible. For this option, SB charges you a slightly higher amount and then refunds the difference once it calculates the actual shipping cost. In my case, they charged $13.90. I also had the option to choose UPS SurePost, which would have cost me $9.99, but went with the new option to see if it would cost less. To my surprise, after the refund, my postage cost was $11.20. Not exactly "lowest cost," if you ask me, compared with the SurePost option. Yes, the dollar amount is small, but the problem is clear and I still feel a little ripped off. Don't choose "Lowest Cost" unless you're willing to pay more than the lowest shipping price quoted in the other options available when you order.

I don't know if they're still ironing out the kinks, but the gap between SB's claims and reality is not good. Frankly, I don't understand why SB needs to charge more than the lowest quoted option on the first place (SurePost, in my case). SB should charge you that amount, and then see if it can beat it, refunding you the difference. If SB can't beat it, you pay that cost and no more.

Wait until January when the new postal and shipping rates take effect, THEN the new lowest shipping cost will likely make more sense. Gordon has been doing his best to keep shipping costs down and while admittedly it isn't 100% perfect, given what is coming down the pipeline it likely will be the best on the table when all is said and done.

Every time I've ordered from Sprue Bros., I get a refund before they ship. I think the internet software calculates the worst case scenario when you order, but if it's less than that, they refund the difference. I have total confidence in Sprue Bros., based upon at least 20 orders- and that's to Canada, where many suppliers freak out that they are shipping to Mars!

Edited by chuck540z3

I just sepnt $300 at Sprue because of the service. I buy from Squadron ONLY because of the Black Friday deal...

Both of my Sprue orders are on the truck. Got tracking to find them, and estimated ship.

Squadron confirmed me hitting the submit button.

Always taken care of with Sprue.

-Jim

I just sepnt $300 at Sprue because of the service. I buy from Squadron ONLY because of the Black Friday deal...

Both of my Sprue orders are on the truck. Got tracking to find them, and estimated ship.

Squadron confirmed me hitting the submit button.

Always taken care of with Sprue.

-Jim

Anymore I have no idea Squadron got my order until it shows up at my door.

Every time I've ordered from Sprue Bros., I get a refund before they ship. I think the internet software calculates the worst case scenario when you order, but if it's less than that, they refund the difference. I have total confidence in Sprue Bros., based upon at least 20 orders- and that's to Canada, where many suppliers freak out that they are shipping to Mars!

Lol! Yes thats so true. Ask them to ship to Canada and they freak out with a shipping rate thats many times higher than the shipping cost to a US address. Some times I have found Hannants rates to be lower than merchants in US. Now Hannants is across the pond.

I live in Canada and I have ordered from Sprue Brothers in the past and as per norm the service was great. I tried their Black Friday sale this weekend with 20% off models and I could not complete the deal. I ordered one kit as well as a few books. I went to check out and saw only two options for shipping. One at $65 and the other for $45. Needless to say I did not buy.

I am pretty sure it is not Sprue Brothers fault as I have heard that there have been US postage rate increases. My order was about $100 so the shipping was about 45%. To be honest I would take slow shipping if it was way cheaper. I have no need to get stuff the same week I order.

I think I will have to get stuff shipped to my brother in Texas and he can ship from there. No idea how else to do this. Too bad as I love Sprue Brothers. Lots of good stuff.

I urge everyone to not use UPS surepost shipping. We are utterly buried by volume already and Christmas is still 3+ weeks away. I think Surepost is garbage because we do all the work of getting it there and then deliver it to the post office for them to deliver. Delays your package by a day or two more and adds another "handler". Sure everyone now and then we will still deliver it instead of the post but for the most part it's taking food from our mouths. Hate that we bent over for the post office like this.

Sprue Brothers is my #1 online resource. Selection, service, and price are never an issue. And since I live in the USA, neither is shipping. I just take Fed Ex which is usually ground as I order paints and or solvents most of the time along with the models. For me the shipping is about the same as what the sales tax would have been, but no hobby shop has anywhere near their selection.

I really do feel sorry for the Canadian modelers, as I keep on hearing horror stories about shipping costs across the border. I'm assuming it's a separate tax levied by your gov't, not the shipping carriers.

Joel

I really do feel sorry for the Canadian modelers, as I keep on hearing horror stories about shipping costs across the border. I'm assuming it's a separate tax levied by your gov't, not the shipping carriers.

Joel

It used to be great getting stuff from the US but not so now. A lot of the costs to us Canadians is due to the shipping method from the US as there is no tax until it hits our border. For model stuff all we pay is our GST on the value, no duty usually. I absolutely hate UPS since they ding me the extra brokerage fee when it crosses the border. I much prefer USPS as it is quite good.

Oh well, I guess I have to find somewhere else to buy stuff.

It used to be great getting stuff from the US but not so now. A lot of the costs to us Canadians is due to the shipping method from the US as there is no tax until it hits our border. For model stuff all we pay is our GST on the value, no duty usually. I absolutely hate UPS since they ding me the extra brokerage fee when it crosses the border. I much prefer USPS as it is quite good.

Oh well, I guess I have to find somewhere else to buy stuff.

Well, it's similar in Germany, or more generally, in Europe.

We pay import turnover tax whever a shipment from outside the EU hits our borders. That tax is the same percentage as each country's VAT. I am talking of 19% in my case.

However, they cacluate the tax by adding the value of the goods and the postage. Now go figure...

All,

I, too, placed an order with Sprue this weekend during their "Kits" sale. My order ran to over $100 dollars even with the discount on the kits. My shipping options were as follows with pricing:

U.S.P.S. SurePost - $5.00

FedEx (ground rate) - $5.01

U.P.S. - $5.46

I went with the cheapest (FedEx) for two reasons. FedEx arrives at my door with any packages no later than 11 AM in the morning and the Post Office has been as late as 6 PM in the afternoon/early evening making their deliverys. If I have a problem with anything that I order, I still have time in the day to call the resposible seller. With Post Office, I have to wait until the next day. Plus I have had trouble of late with the Post Office, which is the second reason. Cheers!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

UPDATE: FedEx again delivered my latest order from Sprue before 11AM (10:46 Exactly). Just out of curiousity I asked my wife what time the mail from the Postman arrive that day and she said it was 4:45PM. The assumption is that IF the package would have been delivered by USPS on the same day, it would have been delivered six hours later than FedEx would have delivered it. I am just saying!

Edited by SonyKen

This Canadian buyer is lucky to live near the border. I have mine shipped to a mail-service in North Dakota, and I slip down to pick it up, while having a few days in the US with my wife. Works handsomely in many respects. And if I order for over $200, it's free.

For you canucks who are relatively close to the border, it is a good option, the parcel service I use charge $5 pr parcel...

Cheers

Harald

I have noticed with Sprue Bros. that if you use the Credit Card option you don't get a refund on the excess shipping. So now I only deal with Paypal and the cash option from my account.

I do not deal with Squadron at all.... 1.The last time I Ordered 2 1/48th True Details Ejection seats..... so they put ejection seats on the customs order instead of model supplies..... Canada Customs wanted me to pay $500 in duty for 2 resin Seats. That got sent back. 2. They have no Stock on the stuff I want.

I also do not use UPS or FedEx for cross border shopping as they automatically charge brokerage and customs fees. With Canada Post it's usually an extra ding to the wallet every 2 years or so Usually on high value stuff ($100 +).

For kits I use Lucky Model as their shipping and model prices are usually less than retail before taxes at the LHS even with currency conversion.

For F-18 Kits I order from Phantom once in a while from Dong....

One of the aspects of the Sprue Brothers business model is they constantly are evaluating the functionality and cost of shipping service options offered. Those that don't perform or are overly expensive for the level of service provided by the carrier are dropped.

However, the shipping companies including the USPS are going to increase their rates on January 1st, from what I have read in some levels way more than expected. Its something you and the retailer have no control over except to opt not to use them and speak with our wallets. These rates are not tied to the price of oil, but with other government regulation and taxation.

One of the aspects of the Sprue Brothers business model is they constantly are evaluating the functionality and cost of shipping service options offered. Those that don't perform or are overly expensive for the level of service provided by the carrier are dropped.

However, the shipping companies including the USPS are going to increase their rates on January 1st, from what I have read in some levels way more than expected. Its something you and the retailer have no control over except to opt not to use them and speak with our wallets. These rates are not tied to the price of oil, but with other government regulation and taxation.

I live on Long Island. Our new and only electric company has just announced the 7th price increase since taking over this year. 14%!!! That's an average of more then $10. For me it will be much more. Monthly spendable income seems to keep on going down, what I have left for modeling decreases as well.

Shipping vs sales tax has always been a trade off for me, while the selection offered by Sprue Brothers and in stock has been amazing, so 75% or more of my modeling purchases are from them. While I don't plan on stopping buying online, I do plan on decreasing the number of orders per year, and making sure that each order contains all the various items I need to build those models. Over the last year or so, the number of models I've ordered has decreased as the cost of a kit has increased to nearly $100 for my chosen 1/48 scale.

Joel