Cross-Spueing new Eduard "Stribrny Sipy" Mig-21 kit to a PFS

Directed to Ya-Gabor - your comments / critique needed. - all others too. :rolleyes:/>

Looking at the instructions, it would appear that the sprues would allow you to easily make a "broad chord" vertical stab. PFS, starting with the basic sprues / instructions for the PF, as follows:

(1) substitute the dorsal spine / vertical stab parts from the PFM.

(2) substitute the wing parts from the PFM to get the proper SPS flaps.

(3) substitute one of the 2 "plain" ventral keels supplied.

(4) fill the old fuselage drag chute panel lines.

For a narrow chord PFS, cut / graft one of the 2 drag chute bullets supplied for the PFM / R to the original PF dorsal spine / vertical stab - use one of the "short" rudders supplied.

What am I missing ? - except for the $74.79 sale price from Sprue !

Directed to Ya-Gabor - your comments / critique needed. - all others too. :rolleyes:/>/>

Looking at the instructions, it would appear that the sprues would allow you to easily make a "broad chord" vertical stab. PFS, starting with the basic sprues / instructions for the PF, as follows:

(1) substitute the dorsal spine / vertical stab parts from the PFM.

(2) substitute the wing parts from the PFM to get the proper SPS flaps.

(3) substitute one of the 2 "plain" ventral keels supplied.

(4) fill the old fuselage drag chute panel lines.

For a narrow chord PFS, cut / graft one of the 2 drag chute bullets supplied for the PFM / R to the original PF dorsal spine / vertical stab - use one of the "short" rudders supplied.

What am I missing ? - except for the $74.79 sale price from Sprue !

Hi falcon04,

Yes, you are right. At this years E Day I have suggested this option to Mr. Sulc of Eduard. All you have to do is to take the necessary srues from the PFM kit and add them to the PF set to be able to produce the wide fin version of the PF (as to the exact name for it, that is another debate) The PFM spine / fin is a perfect fit to the PF fuselage and even the one piece canopy is spot on. For the narrow fin version where you have the parachute under the rudder is a bit more tricky but it is possible to do with some surgery.

Well Mr. Sulc was not too happy with the idea as far as I could see, but you never know . . . There were lots of nice paint schemes with this version both in Russia and in India.

The MiG-21PF kit as it is at the moment is perfect for me (just as for most War Pac countries) since this was the exact type used by our air force. Work is already in progress with it. There are only minor points that need to be corrected on it. Well there is one bigger one in fact, the forward airbrakes. On all second generation 21's (PF, PFM, R, S, M) the airbrakes were bigger, or to be more precise longer. And they stayed that way till the introduction of the GS-23L onboard gun. Even some of the early Russian SM's (with the gun) still had the longer forward airbrakes which was a slight problem for ground crews. The manual hydraulic system valve (on the left side above the forward air brake) had to be pulled to open the airbrakes so that the gun access panels could be opened for maintenance / rearming. Eventually a shorter airbrake was introduced for SM and export MF’s. The shape was once again changed for the bis. But that is another story.

The point of the longer airbrake was completely missed on the kits and the real problem with the PF is that here all the panel lines will have to be rescribed. I like the panel lines as they are and would not really like to touch them but . . . An alternative way will be to make new airbrakes and show them in slightly opened way, which is in fact was a natural way they would be on a parked aircraft.

Best regards

Gabor

Here is the cross kiting that I did after returnig with the first PF sprues back in September. The fit of parts is perfect. The MiG-21 PF (Type 769 kit as it is in the box:

MiG-21PF1_zpsddc56f34.jpg

And this is what it looks like with the spine taken from the PFM kit. This would be a late model PF (PFS if you prefer)

MiG-21PF2_zpscba04c8c.jpg

The question of getting the "Stribrny Sipy" box set is not compulsory since you can have the PF sprues separately in the Overtrees version for a fraction of the box set cost. I paid somewhere around 20 Euro for the Overtrees PF plus two or three etched sets at E Day.

The plus, and this is a definitive plus for the box set is that you get a fantastic book about the MiG-21PF, PFM and R in Czech service. I know that a lot of people are hunting for the book separately, but it is available only in the box set! Also the box set has all the stencils for the PF which was not available in September. It should be available separately in future too, but in December you should have the Profi Pack version of the MiG-21PF and you will have all the things needed to build a full PF kit.

Best regards

Gabor

Gabor;

Thank you so much !

As to "Mr. Sulc was not too happy with the idea" - over the years, my impression is that he is not too happy - period and full stop - with most things and especially any idea not his own! Must be a joy to work with !

As to the old drag chute panels on the fuselage and a "smooth" keel - I assume the lines should be filled and the substitute "PFM" keel used ?

As to the model designation - no references seem to clarify that period of the evolution of the -21 - PFS, SPS, early PFM, model 94 - what designation was used in Hungarian service?

I am particularly interested in use by USSR training "colleges" in the late 1980's - interesting camo, many color pics available, etc.

Edited by falcon04

I believe for Mr. Sulc it is not a question of like or dislike but more a question of business viability, is it worth investing in such a sub version, will it make enough money at the end of the day? I perfectly understand this. This is purely by accident that as I write these words the speakers of my computer are blasting “Money” from Pink Floyd. :thumbsup2::worship: :D Best music of all times!

Sorry for the off topic.

Yes, you will need the new fin if you use the PFM tail.

Hungary had the plain MiG-21PF or Type 76 (MiG OKB designation E-7) as it was officially called. They had an early R-11 engine which had completely different petals at the end of the afterburner chamber.

Best regards

Gabor

Well Mr. Sulc was not too happy with the idea as far as I could see, but you never know . . . There were lots of nice paint schemes with this version both in Russia and in India.

Be carefull, the Indian ones are not PFS/PFM. They are FL, there is no SPS system. But to get an FL is even easier - just use PF kit, fill the parachute doors on fuselage and put wide chord vertical spine and ventral keel from PFM kit. Just one more sprue is needed.

Be carefull, the Indian ones are not PFS/PFM. They are FL, there is no SPS system. But to get an FL is even easier - just use PF kit, fill the parachute doors on fuselage and put wide chord vertical spine and ventral keel from PFM kit. Just one more sprue is needed.

Hi Tango,

Exactly, and this is what I have explained to Mr. Sulc, that there are almost endless variations by using the sprues from the PF and the PFM kits. The only part missing for the late PF's would be narrow fin with the parabrake housing at the base of the fin. This is the only one needed to be scratch built. If by any chance Eduard would do just this new spine on its own the line of MiG-21 kits in Eduards range would have almost every version of the it (OK apart from a not so perfect MiG-21bis kit :bandhead2: )!!! Now it is only MiG-21F-13 and of course the twoseat versions missing. And then lets hope for the 72nd scale versions . . .

Best regards

Gabor