The OCD F-15E Thread

Hi y'all. Some of you may remember me posting questions about the F-15E elsewhere, and yes that's because the F-15 is my favourite plane and I'm building it as my signature work. With that said, I'm gonna try to be as accurate, detail-oriented as I can to almost down to the rivet colors.

I will throw questions here for things I couldn't find a good answer to after researches, and I hope you guys can help me.

1. For the LANTIRN navigational pod, I went through photos online and my own collection of pictures that I had taken when I went to the airshow. Some showed the pod with a creamy-orange color for the window, while the picture I took showed the window like a glass panel. While I'm inclined to paint it creamy-orange, what colours will you guys suggest? And why the differences?

2. For the exhaust nozzles, instruction recommended Steel as the colour. However if I'm to be extra critical, I'm not sure if Steel is truly the right colour. What do you guys think?

3. After consultations with you guys on the CFT, I also studied the colours for the BRU and concluded the dials are silver while the platform is grey. I'm just wondering what you guys also think on this as well.

In addition to answering my questions, I hope this thread can also help anyone who's planning on a very serious build of the F-15E in the future.

Thanks again!

Hi y'all. Some of you may remember me posting questions about the F-15E elsewhere, and yes that's because the F-15 is my favourite plane and I'm building it as my signature work. With that said, I'm gonna try to be as accurate, detail-oriented as I can to almost down to the rivet colors.

I will throw questions here for things I couldn't find a good answer to after researches, and I hope you guys can help me.

1. For the LANTIRN navigational pod, I went through photos online and my own collection of pictures that I had taken when I went to the airshow. Some showed the pod with a creamy-orange color for the window, while the picture I took showed the window like a glass panel. While I'm inclined to paint it creamy-orange, what colours will you guys suggest? And why the differences?

The color differences are likely the different camera and lighting angles creating different colors of the coating in the glass. I would go with the orangish (clear orange that is) color.

2. For the exhaust nozzles, instruction recommended Steel as the colour. However if I'm to be extra critical, I'm not sure if Steel is truly the right colour. What do you guys think?

Outer nozzles are titanium and inner surfaces are ceramic ciated and titanium, does not have to be a metallic color, just match photos. The E has two engine flavors, -220 and -229 Pratt engines unless you are building a Korean bird or Saudi SA version, then it is a GE engine which will be ceramic internal lining and titanium turkey feathers. Oh yea, there is Israel, Pratts with turkey feathers.

3. After consultations with you guys on the CFT, I also studied the colours for the BRU and concluded the dials are silver while the platform is grey. I'm just wondering what you guys also think on this as well.

In addition to answering my questions, I hope this thread can also help anyone who's planning on a very serious build of the F-15E in the future.

Thanks again!

The real ones aren't made of steel, so it would seem silly to paint them steel colored. IMHO the external color of F-15 (F100) exhausts is one of the hardest things to replicate. The real things are a very dull (almost dusty dry looking) brownish color that I've rarely if ever seen authentically replicated on a model. I'm 99.9% sure they're titanium, which accounts for the brownish (orangish) color, but the 'look and feel' is hard to replicate.

Edited by Jennings