Apollo Saturn LUT by LVM Studios 2015

• 4 weeks later...

Hello LUT friends

here is the new update of LVM Studios of the production of the first prototypes for the Mobile Launcher. cool.gif

First prototype parts

For cost reasons, the substructure is now not made of Styrene but from MDF, which is a medium-density fibreboard, but which ensures sufficient stability. The outer cladding consists however of Styrene.

The side walls have channels to which Evergreen profiles can be glued.

In addition, color tests were carried out, at which I suppose but strongly that the parts are supplied unpainted.

That's it for now. cool.gif

Edited by spaceman
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello LUT friends

In addition, color tests were carried out, at which I suppose but strongly that the parts are supplied unpainted.

That's it for now

Better they are not painted as you would ruin the paintwork gluing everything and then could never match their paint. I much prefer not painted as at least I can finish it correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

here is the new update of LVM Studios, where they have been busy with the Parametric design of the LUT.

hfaGNs.jpg

Source: LVM Studios

Meanwhile they also have been building the Saturn V from Dragon for the 1/72 display at Scale Model World 2015 in Telford, but there were problems with the S1-C stage, which have led to space problems with the Tail Service Masts (TSM) on the Mobile Launcher that had to be solved. rolleyes.gif

It is unclear whether there are similar problems with the smaller Saturn V models (1:96, 1:144) of Revell respectively Airfix. undecided.gif

Edited by spaceman
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Gene,

what a supprise, that's awesome, congratulations! Until November it will not be long, keep quite cool. up040577.gif

wow.gif And with lighting it will become a spectacular project. gut.gif

Now I am considering whether I should not yet fly to Telford (UK) for Scale Model World 2015 (11/07-08/2015) where one can admire a finished LVM model of the LUT (1:72) with its imposing height of about 160 cm. erschrocken3.gif

Then I could immediately take back home my 1:144 LUT. hurrah.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hey Gene,

what a supprise, that's awesome, congratulations! Until November it will not be long, keep quite cool. up040577.gif

wow.gif And with lighting it will become a spectacular project. gut.gif

Now I am considering whether I should not yet fly to Telford (UK) for Scale Model World 2015 (11/07-08/2015) where one can admire a finished LVM model of the LUT (1:72) with its imposing height of about 160 cm. erschrocken3.gif

hallo.gif

If you do, take lots of photos for us please! In any scale they will look impressive.

Hello everybody,

as I found out meantime by LVM, there are apparently no problems with the other Saturn V models by Revell respectively Airfix:thumbsup:

But there is a new Update (Nr. 13), with the first PE-prototypes for Kits 1 and 2,

EcfJ5d.jpg

and the first images of some parts made from it.

fnf4WW.jpg

pjSlEs.jpg

Dhsq5v.jpg

Thus, the LUT project now assumes slowly concrete shape. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Scale Model World is well worth it, it's a massive show (2 days is barely enough to see all the exhibits). Not much in the way of space modeling though (LVM, 2 space-related SIGs, and me at the Project Cancelled SIG), but that's true of almost any model show.

You could also combine your visit with a trip to the National Space Centre (http://www.spacecentre.co.uk/) in Leicester (100 km from Telford).

You know, if you do visit the event in Nov 2015...be prepare to take a lots of photos and upon your return home...be prepare to share them or... Well, or else... :fight:

:lol:

Mike

hallo.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Hello LUT friends,

here is Update No. 14 with some new details before the LVM team goes on a short vacation. cool.gif

The first photo etch parts have been validated and changes have been made in assembly of the parts and their design.

Support fire pit hold down posts

KANBfK.jpg

Vertical cable tray LUT

GYOuUe.jpg

SI-C intertank service arm

FTgIy7.jpg

The materials used are color-coded: Grey is photo etch, green is resin, brown is evergreen plastic strips and red is brass rod.

What do you mean turquoise, I have requested. rolleyes.gif

Edited by spaceman
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

after LVM team returned from vacation here is Update Nr. 15.

It is informed that they encountered a few setbacks. shocked.gif

This relates to the 3D design and problems with the CNC milling machine, which were eliminated now, as well as necessary changes to parts of the design for cost reasons. Thus, the Mobile Launcher was redesigned, so thinner panels can be used.

ML base 1/144 & 1/72

ejSWj5.jpg

Source: LVM

Due to the occurring time residues LVM is afraid that the planned delivery of kits in November will be delayed. How much extra time they need is not known yet but they try to keep it as short a possible and will hope for understanding. cool.gif

RolandChayerByeByeSmiley.gif

Edited by spaceman
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

which has almost already hinted, now is certainty.

LVM Studios have informed all bakkers in Update Nr. 16 that the intended release date of November 2015 can not be met due to fabrication problems and design issues.

Consequently, the fully build prototype which would be on display at Scale Model World at Telford will not be shown as too many design issues are not solved yet. rolleyes.gif

Edited by spaceman
  • 3 months later...

Hello everybody,

and so it has also happend, due to the problems encountered LVM could not keep their promise, which is of course very disappointing. angry.gif

Therefore, the announced LUT model (1:72) could not be presented at the Scale ModelWorld 2015 last November in Telford. rolleyes.gif

But therefor the great diorama of the R7 Soyuz Baikonur Launch Pad by Bruno Gire won the "Best in Show" award, based on the LVM kit. a040.gif

P1020391-e1446978132950.jpg

In the meantime, LVM now received at least the new controller unit for the CNC milling machine. And after a week of testing and tweaking they got it working, what is reported in Update No. 19.

To the previously critical commentary made by me to the disappointing status quo they have indeed responded, but without having made concrete statements for further project procedure or even the delivery date. rolleyes.gif

Maybe they will reach it at this year's Scale ModelWorld 2016 in November ... hmmm.gif

Edited by spaceman
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

with the LVM-LUT it actually goes further. cool.gif

Here is Update 20.

As one can see, they continued with the interior of the LUT, adding controll cabinets, storage racks, etc. for each level of the LUT, which is done in a parametric way.

wiyX7a.jpg

Coming soon one will start with the construction of the Hammerhead Crane. By the way is running the inventory of needed Evergreen profiles which must be ordered via distributors, the delivery can take months. flehan.gif

The CNC machine which is used for milling the parts of the mobile launcher is still in prototype stage. rolleyes.gif

Then let's wait again. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman
  • 1 month later...

Hello everybody,

here is the sparse new Update Nr. 21. rolleyes.gif

The design for the interior of the LUT (control boxes, cabinets, valve complexes) takes longer than expected. A lot of dimensions of these items are not not known and based on several drawings (demolition engineering drawings) LVM try to figure it all out. A start is made with the Hammerhead Crane design.

BTW, speaking of drawings, in consideration of the vast quantities of NASA drawings and photos on which Mischa Klement (microartwork.com) has based his crawler and as well his ingenious LUT development, I have no good feeling with the whole thing, because LVM seems have underestimated the complexity of the LUT project and is repeatedly confronted with new problems. omgsign.gif

They also have been busy with sourcing material for flexible hoses between the LUT and the service arms so the service arms can move. One has found some interesting materials and are waiting for arrival of these materials in order to test the usability.

LVM's new CNC milling machine control box has been delayed due to unavailability of certain parts. In the next few weeks they expect to receive the missing parts and can get started on building the control cabinet and getting the milling machine running again.

So all in all a more than sobering Status quo ... gr_hail.gif

Edited by spaceman
  • 1 month later...

Hello everybody,

here is the new Update Nr. 22.

LVM still fiddles about with the completion of the interior on the 3D model, about parts manufacture is obviously for the moment not to think. shocked.gif

When they assembled the cable trays under each level they noticed that the lighting fixture are in the way and intersect each other. rolleyes.gif

5ewO8n.jpg

LVM get a lot of questions about when the product will be ready, but at this moment they have not set a release date yet. They are aiming at certain milestones but are also aware that issues may come up. At this moment they are still in design stage and expect to build some prototypes (parts of the project) within a few months. up047089.gif

RolandChayerByeByeSmiley.gif

• 5 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

here is the new Update Nr. 23. cool.gif

This time it is all about the design of the equipment details on the outside of the LUT, such as water pipes on Side 2, hydraulic lines on Side 4 and the LH2 and LOX pipes on Side 3.

Here some impressions of the progress:

W9ErR4.jpg

x1l0Oi.jpg

In the CAD 3D model this looks quite promising , but it's by no means yet implemented into concrete components, let alone built. rolleyes.gif

The new controller for the CNC milling machine has been built and one starts testing the machine in the next few weeks.

In july LVM expect to build the first prototype of the MLP, levels 0-80 and 100-140, which is important for testing if all elements of the construction work well with eachother. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman
  • 2 months later...

Hello everybody,

here is after vacation-related delay, the new Update Nr. 24.

W0z1QZ.jpg

After LVM has apparently found new reference sources, the design was improved and updated once more, after which now first production drawings for the PE parts are made. :woo:

The design of the LUT interior was allegedly rather complicated due to the variety of electrical equipment, consoles, distributors, heat exchangers, valve complexes (LOX and LH2), cable trays and piping and is not yet completed. Because the interior is quite crammed, it was decided to omit the many storage racks because one supposedly has no data on these racks. rolleyes.gif

Other parts of the design like the Hammerhead crane and Service arms are still a work in progress.

The CNC milling machine is running and they try to optimize different parameters to have quality parts produced in the fastest time.

To the completion date one cannot make any promise, because the design phase is not finished yet. hmmm.gif

To my question to the prospects for this year's Scale ModelWorld in Telford (12./13.11.2016), was communicated that one will bring along some protoypes of the 1/144 scale version LUT, anyway better than nothing. top1.gif

So only remains to wait and see! up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello LUT guys,

after I have reminded Leon van Munster, after a longer break LVM had still presented 14 days before the ScaleModel World in Telford (12/13 Nov.) Update Nr. 25. cool.gif

It shows the first prototypes of PE plates of the LUT levels (0 to 140),

VeG4QG.jpg

ZSaQqG.jpg

as well as the elevator shaft for testing the tower structure.  up046122.gif

As it is said, a first exclusive look at the prototype was planned still before the Telford fair.

So let's wait and see what's going on there.   up040577.gif