Apollo Saturn LUT by LVM Studios 2015

Hello folks,

this is the news of the month: In 2015 LVM Studios will release the Apollo Saturn Launch Umbilical Tower. :thumbsup:

Lb0BJb.jpg

Source: NASA

At Scale Model World 2014 in Telford UK (11/08-09/2014) LVM presented a prototype of their BIG LUT Project,

Avs9Ba.jpg

Source: LVM Studios

which will be available in three different scales:

1/144 for the Revell Saturn V or Airfix Saturn V

1/96 for the Revell Saturn V

1/72 for the Dragon Saturn V

This is definitely a spectacular and very challenging project, only question is what price will be called for these kits ... shocked.gif

Edited by spaceman

Oh ... my ... gosh! ... this is gonna be pretty expensive, and I hafta wonder, is there THAT much demand for LVM to produce this?

I suppose with the 50th anniversary (of the 1st landing) coming just 4.5 years from now, maybe some Museums will get something built, but for us modellers ... and a large 1/96 launch tower ... at least $1,000.00 ? ... I hope they've done their marketing!

But to see a completed LUT ... that would be spectacular!!

..... I've got to go out an buy a lottery ticket ... ! :rolleyes:

Thanx for letting us know about this Manfred!

Pete

omgsign.gif I also thought at first that it is a belated April Fool's Joke just before Christmas.

I have similar concerns as you, in terms of the demand in view of their known prices.

Edited by spaceman

Perhaps their mark-up is set high enough to where if they sell a limited amount they will at least break even or come out slightly ahead? Sometimes it only takes those few big purchases to justify the work and if they've gotten the cost of production down somehow, it may be worth it. But then again, if they can get the cost down they might be better charging less and getting more sales...hmm...mmmm.....

Either way, VERY COOL! Can you imagine the 1/72 scale one!?!?!

Bill

I know I would love to have one for my Revell 1/144 scale Saturn V. But there are some things I can't justify to the wife on buying. :explode:/> I wanted a shot at the launch tower upgrade, but just about fell over when I saw the price on the whole set.:crying2:/>

The set would make for a nice build though.

Mike

Sounds like a project for 3D printing if I ever heard one... Imagine it - you could replicate every little doodad and hoo-hah, every cable, every pipe, every rivet. You could even make a teeeeeeenie little Gunther Wendt! :)

I vunder ver Gunther vent?

Sorry, but the link does not work. :rolleyes:

You mean this one, right?

01.jpg

Have you a source or a link to this young man? :coolio:

Is the LUT made of paper, PE or something else, or is it a virtual model?

Edited by spaceman

Awesome, Spaceman, thanks! I took some photos by another builder, too, that are quite inspiring. I'll have to look for them, though -- it was from a couple of years back when I visited the science centre. Not as realistic as Michael Jack's is but pretty awesome just the same.

Edited by crackerjazz

Ho-lee-schmitt! Those are terrific pix crackerjazz!

That Saturn V is over 40 years old and in great shape! I remember seeing it for the first time when I was on a High School trip to the Science Centre in Toronto in 1971 or 1972 and was overwhelmed by it then! I recall it being over 100' tall! okay ... maybe 6 feet tall ... :whistle:/>

And Michael Jack is from Australia ... I've suggested to him a few times to join here 'cuz his Real Space models are outstanding and I'd love to see his build process ... and who knows, maybe he's here already ... !

Thanx CJ for those pix ... that's a pretty nice lookin model!

Edited by K2Pete

When I toured JSC in Houston two years ago I remember seeing a large-scale Apollo Saturn V & LUT model on display in one of the buildings, IIRC in the building where the "mission control" room is located.

That would have been an awesome sight, Habu2. I vaguely remember seeing one, too, at the Kennedy Space Center. Hey, Pete, I had no idea that model was more than 40 years old. It's almost as old as the original, wow! It's looking mighty fresh --- there's no yellowing of the white paint whatsoever and would pass for something that was completed yesterday. Even the Hubble and the Shuttle look squeaky clean -- and no painted weathering effects whatsoever.

zQqlDbj.jpg

rV5foPK.jpg

SBbTp0K.jpg

AglbcCi.jpg

Sorry for the shuttle photos, Manfred, I just though I might as well post them here. Back to the topic.

No problem Guys, I can understand your enthusiasm completely. :coolio:

Here is the Part 2 of Michael Jack's outstanding LUT Saturn V Apollo 12, which he completed in 2011. :thumbsup:

01.jpg

And here is the proud young champion, who won 1st in scratch built, as he has written to me. :worship::worship::worship:

02.jpg

Edited by spaceman
  • 2 weeks later...

Woohoo

I'm finally on here, had some issues with subscribing, all fixed now.

Thanks all for the kind words on my MLP/LUT Apollo 12 model :) I think the LVM kit is great so far, but I'll never make another :(/>

I look forward to posting on here, thanks Pete and Manfred for helping me join.

Michael Jack

Edited by ApolloMan

Hi ApolloMan, welcome aboard! :) I was surprised to see your photo above -- I imagined you having a dishevelled mane of hair, making a grimace squinting through half-inch glasses, the way mad scientists are portrayed in the movies. You're one mad scientist that's for sure. Awesome piece of machinery your model turned out to be. I'm definitely looking forward to your builds.