MiG-21MF question

In Eduard's Profipack boxing of their 1/48 MiG-21MF, they include a PE scribing template, with instructions to scribe an oval panel on the top of both wings. That template is not in their Weekend Edition. Is that panel on ALL MiG-21MFs or only certain models? What about other versions of the MiG-21, such as the MiG-21R?

Larry

In Eduard's Profipack boxing of their 1/48 MiG-21MF, they include a PE scribing template, with instructions to scribe an oval panel on the top of both wings. That template is not in their Weekend Edition. Is that panel on ALL MiG-21MFs or only certain models? What about other versions of the MiG-21, such as the MiG-21R?

Larry

It was an inspection hatch of the fuel tank. It was not on earlier versions and not on late MF's and bis aircraft. Most MF's (Russian S and SM) had them. I believe you can either use the template or there is also a decal of the hatch for anyone not happy on scribing the panel.

The question of which a/c had it is not easy to answer, one has to have a look at the particular aircraft. Please also note that its exact position also varies.

Best regards

Gabor

It was an inspection hatch of the fuel tank. It was not on earlier versions and not on late MF's and bis aircraft. Most MF's (Russian S and SM) had them. I believe you can either use the template or there is also a decal of the hatch for anyone not happy on scribing the panel.

The question of which a/c had it is not easy to answer, one has to have a look at the particular aircraft. Please also note that its exact position also varies.

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks for that info. :thumbsup:

Larry

Sorry Gabor, you are wrong. It depends on production plant. Aircraft made in Moscow plant had this panel, planes made in Gorkiy (Nizhniy Novgorod) plant had it not.

The reason is different way to seal integral fuel tanks. In Moscow was the wing first assembled, then they applied sealing agent throught this oval hole and then was the hole covered by this oval panel. In Gorkiy was the sealing agent applied during assembly, so the oval hole was not necessary.

It depends on production plant. Aircraft made in Moscow plant had this panel, planes made in Gorkiy (Nizhniy Novgorod) plant had it not.

Interesting. I often wonder if there are similar differences in F-16s produced in Texas, Europe, Turkey and Korea?

Sorry Gabor, you are wrong. It depends on production plant. Aircraft made in Moscow plant had this panel, planes made in Gorkiy (Nizhniy Novgorod) plant had it not.

The reason is different way to seal integral fuel tanks. In Moscow was the wing first assembled, then they applied sealing agent throught this oval hole and then was the hole covered by this oval panel. In Gorkiy was the sealing agent applied during assembly, so the oval hole was not necessary.

Hi Tango,

Yes, not all aircraft had it and this is why I wrote in my previous comment:

"Most MF's (Russian S and SM) had them.

The question of which a/c had it is not easy to answer, one has to have a look at the particular aircraft."

Best regards

Gabor