That means, you mixed blue due to eyeball so that it matches the decals?

But I admit, that blue looks good! And blue - white is never wrong! :thumbsup:/>/>

I never actually mixed to match the decals. This thread, CF-104D Starfighters listed Vallejo French Blue as a dead match. It's pretty darn close but the difference is exaggerated in the photos. It's much better in person.

Cheers,

John

Decals are on and the small details are almost ready to glue on. I'm thinking of giving it a semi-gloss clear coat as in this scale a full on gloss makes it look too much like a toy.

EC9LQP.jpg

gTYVXu.jpg

Cheers,

John

Well, this one is finished in the nick of time. Just off the workbench with a couple photos today. Better photos and descriptions to follow as I'm just about to head out for beers with friends. :cheers:/>

COC12o.jpg

FlplkS.jpg

VlMiFS.jpg

Hctn70.jpg

ua8gPP.jpg

:cheers:/>

John

Oh! that's one neat and clean Starfighter you have done John! congrats271.gif

what colors did you use for the bare metal part?

Thanks for the compliment.

The NMF was created with Alclad II paints. The light area was sprayed with Stainless Steel ALC-115 over just the bare plastic that I polished. The darker area was a base of Steel ALC-112 and then shaded with the Stainless Steel ALC-115 to lighten it up a bit.

Cheers,

John

Thanks for the compliment.

The NMF was created with Alclad II paints. The light area was sprayed with Stainless Steel ALC-115 over just the bare plastic that I polished. The darker area was a base of Steel ALC-112 and then shaded with the Stainless Steel ALC-115 to lighten it up a bit.

Cheers,

John

you fully deserve compliments for that sharp (and beautifully colored) build70.gif

and thanks for the BMF info, exactly what i wished to know70.gif

Beautiful job, as I said earlier. I think a glossier finish might actually have looked OK, even in scale. I haven't seen this team's aircraft up close, though, so I can't say for sure.

ALF

Beautiful job, as I said earlier. I think a glossier finish might actually have looked OK, even in scale. I haven't seen this team's aircraft up close, though, so I can't say for sure.

ALF

Hey ALF,

The real aircraft has a high gloss finish. Whenever I do a super high gloss finish on an aircraft I thinks it looks a bit too glossy to me. I took a few more photos of the finished kit along with the other kit I completed for this group build. This really shows the contrast between the flat finish of the CF-104 and the semi-gloss of the CF-104D.

FgdlZv.jpg

rPSQ4t.jpg

eqv9Q7.jpg

1ICRLK.jpg

FsuGGM.jpg

Xlfxdh.jpg

0FNzqi.jpg

Cheers,

John

Hi, John, you made me curious and let me take out the Hasegawa kit out of my stash. I checked the (Hasegawa) decal blue with some blues I have and the gloss Humbrol 14 french blue was the closest match. Maybe like a real match...but sometimes the decal color could change due to the underground they get from the painted model.

• 2 weeks later...