I find the wacky art work sorta endearing. This goofy artwork certainly provokes eyes looking at it . That said I enjoy high quality artwork the most but also good photos of built models used as art work. Classic Monogram kits with photos of well built models always intrigued me to want to build a kit as good as the box art.

And I believe that pirated copy was also reboxed by Hobbycraft for their "War on Terror" F-14D kit. To its credit, it at least had a nice Two Bobs decal sheet.

Fun Fact - the canopy in the Hobbycraft kit was molded in reverse, so all the raised detail is in INSIDE the canopy, not outside. It would be an exercise in pain to mask it.

Edited by beingthehero

Thunderstreak box art depicts the moment it's pilot realized what a bad idea it was to fly into a thunderstorm.

And the Zero pilot! Stop breaking the fourth wall looking at me and look at the two planes your about to collide with!

Perfectly explained! :woot.gif:

Not exactly "worst" box art but I have noticed several instances of one company taking the box art from a kit from another company and modifying it (or even downright copies it) for their own kit. I'll try to find some examples and post them.

Along the same lines, I have a couple of kits where the photos of the finished model on the sides of the box were actually another company's kit. The initial release of the Academy/Minicraft 1/72 B-17G from the mid-90s had photos of a buildup of the Hasegawa kit on the box, and the AMT X/YB-35 Flying Wing box featured photos of a built-up vac kit on the sides, with wheels swiped from a 1/48 B-25 and props from what looked like a 1/48 P-47.

SN

I think there have been times when a test shot build or partial test shot build has made it onto the box photo, instead of the production version. I remember a couple times growing up wondering why the kit in the box looked better than the photo.

Rick L.

Along the same lines, I have a couple of kits where the photos of the finished model on the sides of the box were actually another company's kit. The initial release of the Academy/Minicraft 1/72 B-17G from the mid-90s had photos of a buildup of the Hasegawa kit on the box, and the AMT X/YB-35 Flying Wing box featured photos of a built-up vac kit on the sides, with wheels swiped from a 1/48 B-25 and props from what looked like a 1/48 P-47.

SN

Didn't this happen with Revell's 1/48 MiG-25 kit, in that the photos on the box were of Hasegawa's 1/72 MiG-25?

Didn't this happen with Revell's 1/48 MiG-25 kit, in that the photos on the box were of Hasegawa's 1/72 MiG-25?

I believe so.

Likewise, I recall getting a revell 1/72 F-8 in the early 90s, which had box side photos of open gun bays and stuff. No such thing in the box. I remember the kit being one of the first that I never finished.

The pilot just really hated those damn astronauts. They got to fly in a rocket to space, he has to fly a chopper. And that F-4 looks like a kiddie ride outside a shopping mall. I'm guessing the pilot has to put in a quarter every 15 minutes to keep flying it.

027bcc9f38.jpg

Not pictured: a MiG-31 Foxhound.

SN

The AMT XB-70A also had photos of a vacuform model (Sutcliffe?) illustrating the sides of the box

I seem to remember that my RoG rebox of Emhars 1/72nd FJ-4B featured a built up example on the sie of the box with F/A-18 main landing gears.

Cheers,

Andre