3 hours ago, habu2 said:

And no one can talk to a horse of course.
That is of course unless the horse Is the famous Mister Ed!

Sir, you are as reliable as the sun rising in the East. One can always count on you for a smile.

I raise my glass to you. Cheers!

On 6/17/2020 at 10:51 PM, WymanV said:

I did-I HAD to have this!

A0122-033-X1.jpg

I don't know if I'll ever build it but if I do I'm seriously considering a diorama of the box art. The Blitz has all the aerodynamics of a tool box but who knew it could take a P-40 in level flight?

My brother speaks German pretty well, will have to ask him how to say "Yeeee-haaaa!" in German.

On 12/16/2014 at 1:43 PM, Wayfarer 30 said:

I have never looked to close at the lightening but it looks pregnant to me.

A most ironically appropriate typo. 

🤣

the plane is Lightning with no e.

Putting that e in lightening gives one,

Lightening: Not to be confused with a discharge of atmospheric electricity, lightening refers to the sensation that a pregnant woman feels when the baby drops.

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=7798

On 7/12/2015 at 5:55 AM, Kevan Vogler said:

As I recall, the reason Airfix, Humbrol, Revell and some others put pictures of finished models on boxes stemmed from a piece of legislation about truth in advertising that existed through the late 1970s into the 1980s sometime that stipulated images on the packaging had to reflect the contents honestly.

Remember that being discussed somewhere back then when I was a kid in the pre-internet age.
That people would not understand one box equals one kit, and what mindset would lead to that conclusion was a mystery to me.

Then again I had begun building models around 5 years old in the 1960s and had by that late 70s mentioned almost a decade's experience with kit contents.
But, even so, my reaction was something along the lines of, These are the people who think I dream of Jeannie is a documentary, right?

Interesting that, when you realize that I'm also the person who sees a peanut butter jar boldly proclaiming "NEW LOOK!" and says "WHAT "new look"? It's still beige and pasty." 

Edited by southwestforests
6 hours ago, southwestforests said:

These are the people who think I dream of Jeannie is a documentary, right?

One of my favorite shows when growing up.  It inspired me to want to be an astronaut - for all the wrong reasons.....  :whistle:

On 6/17/2020 at 11:51 PM, WymanV said:

I did-I HAD to have this!

A0122-033-X1.jpg

I don't know if I'll ever build it but if I do I'm seriously considering a diorama of the box art. The Blitz has all the aerodynamics of a tool box but who knew it could take a P-40 in level flight?

That box art is amazing on so many levels. One of my favourite touches is the smiley face that replaces the swastika in the Afrika Korps insignia on the fender.

On 6/23/2020 at 9:03 AM, southwestforests said:

My brother speaks German pretty well, will have to ask him how to say "Yeeee-haaaa!" in German.

Well, good luck then! Me with speaking German as my mother tongue, I have no idea what could be used. We don´t do any bull-riding here... 😉

On the other hand, if it´s just an outcry of joy and testosterone, "Juchhuuu" would work, but it´s a bit old-fashioned.

HAJO

20 hours ago, Scott Taylor said:

That box art is amazing on so many levels. One of my favourite touches is the smiley face that replaces the swastika in the Afrika Korps insignia on the fender.

Also to make it more "believable" would be Indiana Jones hanging onto the front! :rolleyes:

Cheers :cheers:

Itch

On 6/24/2020 at 9:16 PM, Hajo L. said:

Well, good luck then! Me with speaking German as my mother tongue, I have no idea what could be used. We don´t do any bull-riding here... 😉

On the other hand, if it´s just an outcry of joy and testosterone, "Juchhuuu" would work, but it´s a bit old-fashioned.

HAJO

how about "holloderooo"

but that may be too Austrian

That sounds a bit like "yodeling"... Which may work, since Austrians were part of Germany in the specific time-frame, but it doesn´t fit right into the "I´ll ride this thing like a wild bull"-theme we see on the picture...

HAJO

9 minutes ago, jonwinn said:

What is the plane this Chinese Ji 5 just shot down? It is on my 1/72 DML Ji 5 (Mig 17F) kit.

Don't think I have ever seen anything quite like it. jon

tL1ya8A.jpg

It’s a Ryan Firebee drone.  Mostly used as a target, but some were configured for unmanned reconnaissance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Firebee

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Model_147

Edited by Dave Williams
7 minutes ago, jonwinn said:

What is the plane this Chinese Ji 5 just shot down? It is on my 1/72 DML Ji 5 (Mig 17F) kit.

AQM-34

800px-556th_RS_AQM-34_Drone.jpg

On 6/23/2020 at 7:37 AM, habu2 said:

One of my favorite shows when growing up.  It inspired me to want to be an astronaut - for all the wrong reasons.....  :whistle:

My future wife learned English from that show when she emigrated to the US.

As she's now a retired rocket scientist, that's quite a positive statement.

4 hours ago, jonwinn said:

Very nice, I did not know this box art. It looks pretty good, except that I doubt that this particular AQM-34 version flew over China.

Anyway, I have built a small bunch of them from my own castings, while developing the kit. Here are three:

aqm34-46.jpg

aqm34-43.jpg

aqm34-51.jpg

Plus my website on the subject:

https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/aqm34.htm

Rob

7 hours ago, jonwinn said:

Is that first image a "Tom Cruise Missile" ?  jon

So U S sent these for Chinese to practice on? jon

Jon, I don't understand - two people have posted links to the history of these drones and how they were used for reconnaissance missions, yet you respond with these silly one-liners. In the context of your box art, they were used over China during the Vietnam war, among various other places and time frames. A number of them were shot down in the process, others crashed, but many also returned with valuable intelligence at the time. Why don't you read the links and find out a bit more about its history? Rob's site is very interesting and detailed, and there is also a lot of info in the two Wikipedia articles posted. You were apparently unfamiliar with the type - one of the great things about building models is that it gives you the opportunity to learn more about the fascinating histories behind what we build. Here is such an opportunity.

8 hours ago, Mfezi said:

Jon, I don't understand - two people have posted links to the history of these drones and how they were used for reconnaissance missions, yet you respond with these silly one-liners. In the context of your box art, they were used over China during the Vietnam war, among various other places and time frames. A number of them were shot down in the process, others crashed, but many also returned with valuable intelligence at the time. Why don't you read the links and find out a bit more about its history? Rob's site is very interesting and detailed, and there is also a lot of info in the two Wikipedia articles posted. You were apparently unfamiliar with the type - one of the great things about building models is that it gives you the opportunity to learn more about the fascinating histories behind what we build. Here is such an opportunity.

Lighten up, Frances.

16 hours ago, echolmberg said:

Lighten up, Frances.

Ah, the internet. You try to help someone, give a bit of background info that literally directly addresses the question he asked initially, and someone tells you to "lighten up" - as if there was some parallel discussion going on that I didn't notice. I suppose it was because I asked him to actually read the fantastic links provided - especially that great site developed by Rob.

Well, considering I was already in a pretty positive mood when I wrote my response, I'll go "lighten up" a little more and have a beer (while I work a bit on one of my models).