Not necessarily "bad" art but I found the captured moment in time so humorous I had to get the kit. I may have to get a 1/72 P-40 and do a diorama of this. The Opel Blitz Hovertruck with the P-40 chase plane:

roden710reviewgp_box.jpg

I have never really liked Minicraft's box art. the ones that always seemed uninspiring were the Minicraft/Hasegawa boxings

like this for example:

Hasegawa%201035%20F100vg.JPG

just uninspiring. dull, blah

hasegawa's native box is much more interesting to my eye

Hasegawa%20035%20F-100BB.JPG

Same plastic, but hasegawa's box grabs my attention.

I have never really liked Minicraft's box art. the ones that always seemed uninspiring were the Minicraft/Hasegawa boxings

like this for example:

Hasegawa%201035%20F100vg.JPG

just uninspiring. dull, blah

I think there was some legislation in place through the late 70s and early 80s about honesty in advertising and having packaging imagery truly reflect the contents.

Revell, Monogram and Airfix all went through that period with photos of finished, sometimes poorly, models in place of proper box art. That was a very uninspiring time indeed.

I don't know if the MiG-29 is that particularly difficult to draw, I've never tried, but it certainly has been abused in box art:

This one's bad all around, not just the Fulcrum

000000011251.jpg

net photo

est72106.jpg

net photo

000000010425.jpg

net photo

williams29bbt.jpg

net photo

0157940.jpg

net photo

(Dis)honourable mentions that I couldn't find decent images of:

AMT 1/72 MiG-29 vs. F-16 set

Hasegawa 1/72 MiG-29 "Striji"

Hobbycraft 1/144 MiG-29 kits (they made at leas two boxings and they were both of dire box art)

Trumpeter 1/32 MiG-29M (It looks like the artist just quit partway through and never came back to finish)