"Major components are camouflage spray painted"

I'm curious to see what the parts looked like out of the box.

What the box says is true.

Monogram%20PA148-150%20AC-47%20Mint.JPG

Interesting. Must've been a later release. I built one in the late 70's, mine was gray.

A couple of my favorites...

80227bt.jpg

528b8a764ed1efb0ef045f2e4f096a03.image.500x315.jpg

Although that Academy T-Rex Emil is probably the all-time winner. :lol:/>

Not sure about the top one, but the B-24 box has issues with the bottom right bomber (R wing seems chopped) and the Zero has some shape issues. What else is there?

Not sure about the top one, but the B-24 box has issues with the bottom right bomber (R wing seems chopped) and the Zero has some shape issues. What else is there?

The main Liberator is a mess, particularly through the fuselage. It's like the artist was trying to stress the depth of the fuselage in the wing area but thinned it too severely aft of the wings; I don't thing the real aircraft tapered that drastically through the aft fuselage to the tail.

I'd also say the cockpit canopy area looks decidedly undersized for similar reasons.

I'd say the artist got tunnel vision concentrating on the deep belly/bomb bay area and neglected to proportion the rest of the fuselage accordingly.

Edited by Kevan Vogler

Well, how about that Zero from 1942 is chasing Liberators from 1945, some kid of space-time gap I suppose. Not to mention that the entire scene looks childish.

The Hobby Boss box art is ugly by itself, and although they have some very nice artworks in bigger scales, their 1/72 toy-like line is absolutely horrific.

The Hobby Boss box art is ugly by itself, and although they have some very nice artworks in bigger scales, their 1/72 toy-like line is absolutely horrific.

I suspect it's deliberately toy like to encourage youngsters. Airfix boxings from the 1980s also featured photographs of some fairly average builds and I was always well pleased when my effort matched that on the cardboard.

Put some of the masterpieces featured hereabouts on a box top and no-one would ever get up the courage to give the hobby a try.

I suspect it's deliberately toy like to encourage youngsters. Airfix boxings from the 1980s also featured photographs of some fairly average builds and I was always well pleased when my effort matched that on the cardboard.

Put some of the masterpieces featured hereabouts on a box top and no-one would ever get up the courage to give the hobby a try.

Agree totally worldslaziestbusker, we should be trying to promote the hobby, and get people younger than me interested, makes me feel old saying that, and not give people the impression we are a group of grumpy rivet counters who whinge about everything.

I understand your point and although I can partially agree, the HB boxarts are nowhere near to those from Airfix you mentioned. They are simply ugly.

For example, Airfix B-26 box with the completed model photo is still one of my favorites, even after all these years.

206805-12155-36.jpg

The reasons that Hobby Boss put pictures of the real model on their 1/72 "Easy Assembly" kits and why Revell, Humbrol, Revell and a few others put finished models on their boxes for a time were different.

Hobby Boss wanted to show what was possible with what came in the box and were quite honest and open in their marketing of that series of kits to younger/novice builders. They are giving a realistic and achievable goal to inexperienced builders rather than a knockout piece of artwork that novice skills could likely not match. There is a logic behind why they did it that way.

As I recall, the reason Airfix, Humbrol, Revell and some others put pictures of finished models on boxes stemmed from a piece of legislation about truth in advertising that existed through the late 1970s into the 1980s sometime that stipulated images on the packaging had to reflect the contents honestly.

At least Revell made some attempt to give the models a bit of dynamic pose rather than just plop them down on a boring table top:

163675-12192.jpg

net photo

Rev%204458%20F-111A.JPG

net photo

At least Revell made some attempt to give the models a bit of dynamic pose rather than just plop them down on a boring table top:

163675-12192.jpg

net photo

Yeh, well... :rolleyes: Be that as it may, that F-16 must be a drone if flyin' without a jock? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

As I recall, the reason Airfix, Humbrol, Revell and some others put pictures of finished models on boxes stemmed from a piece of legislation about truth in advertising that existed through the late 1970s into the 1980s sometime that stipulated images on the packaging had to reflect the contents honestly.

Back in the 80's I had a friend who worked in a large UK chain of model stores.

He had a customer asking for a refund on his purchase of the Airfix B-17G - because it didn't contain TWO B-17's nor a FW-190 - as shown on the box lid

Airfix%20B17.jpg

.... the eventual result was this......

B_17G_Airfix_05005_72nd.JPG

The Airfix B-29 was even worse - it had dozens of B-29's and Ki-84's (?) in the box art......

Airfix%20781%20B-29vg++.JPG

Ken

The Airfix B-29 was even worse - it had dozens of B-29's and Ki-84's (?) in the box art......

Airfix%20781%20B-29vg++.JPG

Ken

I remember making that puppy as a kid. Just as well it only had one B-29 in it, as that was a fair challenge from memory.