I am thinking of picking up this PE set for my Academy Phantom.

fe672.gif

However, I am concerned about the gray that Eduard used. It won't match my MM Dark gull gray. It almost looks like I would have to use Light ghost gray just to match the PE color.

What color gray does Eduard use? It won't match MM Dark gull gray... :crying2:/>/>

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

I've never yet seen a single one of Eduard's colored PE sets that was remotely close to the right color. As far as I'm concerned they're nothing but a gimmick. One of the ones I looked at was purple (instead of Dark Gull Gray).

Edited by Jennings

I am thinking of picking up this PE set for my Academy Phantom.

fe672.gif

However, I am concerned about the gray that Eduard used. It won't match my MM Dark gull gray. It almost looks like I would have to use Light ghost gray just to match the PE color.

What color gray does Eduard use? It won't match MM Dark gull gray... :crying2:/>/>/>

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

Scott, two opinions. Eduard PE is fantastic. But they are notorious for having some goofy shades on their prepainted PE. Personally I can live with it. Hope that helps.

Aaron

The great thing with Eduard coloured sets is (usually) the definition of detail, especially in 1/72. You would need phenomenal painting skills to match it, notably the stitching on harness items, etc.

The downside is the colours...oh, where to start?! :rolleyes: Personally, I'd trade a bit of that definition for a better match, even if I had to go blind daubing all the little knobs and switches and buttons and bows myself. Of course if I did lose my eyesight the colour wouldn't matter...

Try their stuff for Russian jets! It's hilarious. One thing that did work (a bit) was to run a dark water based wash over the PE. In my case it helped blend in the two items and you didn't lose the detail of switches and knobs. The good thing is if you bugger it up you can just wipe it off and retry. Make sure it's a water based wash though. I used Windsor & Newton water colours thinned heavily with water. Worked ok. Might be an option?

Try their stuff for Russian jets! It's hilarious. One thing that did work (a bit) was to run a dark water based wash over the PE. In my case it helped blend in the two items and you didn't lose the detail of switches and knobs. The good thing is if you bugger it up you can just wipe it off and retry. Make sure it's a water based wash though. I used Windsor & Newton water colours thinned heavily with water. Worked ok. Might be an option?

Around 2005 Eduard used to make their color PE with some sort of silk screen method... this old stuff was great.... and crisp... the latter stuff is all fuzzy looking and hjas this rough finish... the colors are never right... I do like the way they did the Mig 21 PM cockpit though.... with just a bare metal IP.... and decals beneath... finally they are on to something

I just received the PE sheet above and have good news! :nanner::banana::thumbsup:

The instrument panel grey is just about the correct shade! It matches my MM Dark Gull Gray almost perfectly! :yahoo: :yahoo: It's not the light color in the pic above.

The sheet is dated 2014. Perhaps Eduard got the message and has started using the correct shade of DGG for their USAF cockpits? :pray:

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

Edited by f-16

I got that set in the Eduard boxing of the Academy F-4 and the colours were OK. The fit, on the other hand, was less than impressive. Some parts of the rear cockpit offered LESS detail than the kit parts, and because it's not exactly the same size as the kit parts it caused some fit issued when it came time to fit the cockpit to the fuselage. On my next one I think I'll skip it...