Monogram P-39 "Z-38"

The boxing of Monograms Airacobra "Z-38" is pretty well known.

But the subject on the box, the only aircraft for which decals are included, is something of a mystery

It is agreed it is from a stateside training outfit, the "Z" assigned to Thomasville AFB, west of Valdosta, GA. Period fotos from this group support this.

The serial number, 41-7143, is an "F" model P-39 that was assigned to the 488th fighter replacement squadron, of the 59th Fighter Group. The roster from Thomasville records this a/c as lost in an accident in 1943

But no photo record of the bird itself seems to have survived the war, and speculation as to just how Monogram decided on these markings has remained.

Well, I got the old Profile Publications Issue 165 today, covering the P-39. Among the color plate images on page 11, is this very aircraft.

It is listed as being the mount of Lt. Leslie Spoonts and is a duplicate of the Monogram markings.

The Profile series dates to the 1960's, I believe, although this one has no copyright date. Listed among the credits as a key contributor, however, is none other than Leslie Spoonts himself! Additional photos from Mr. Spoonts' personal collection are also included.

(Spoonts scored three kills flying the Airacobra in the Aluetians, so I assume this aircraft would be after he rotated from there, and between the time of its loss.)

The Profile series has always been highly regarded, it's portrayals meticulously verified and accurate. This leads me to believe Monogram sourced the markings from this publication.

I've always liked these markings, but was reluctant to use them because the could not be "authenticated." But If Profile Pubs says it's legit, I can at last breathe easy and go with it.

Edited by dahut

The Profiles were very good in their day, and were some of the first efforts at serious scholarship in the subject. However in the 40 or more years since their publication, many of the markings and paint schemes portrayed in them have been shown to be inaccurate, and in some cases conpletely fictitious. They're still valuable references, but keep in mind that all profile paintings (even in current publications) are only as good as the artist's knowledge and research..and to complicate things, other artists as well as kit and decal makers often perpetuate the same errors. A couple of years ago I was looking at markings options for the new Airfix Typhoon. I found a scheme on an Eagle Strike decal sheet, which was based on artwork in an old Profile Publication. Just to be on the safe side I asked the guys at Britmodeller about it, and it turns out the markings are completely imaginary. The Profile artwork was based on a fanciful painting in a 50s vintage magazine, which was in turn based on a verbal description by someone with no real expertise in the subject.

It's always best to do as much research as you can, especially if no photo of your chosen subject can be found. And even then, sometimes you just have to make your best guess..as exemplified by the never-ending "blue Lou" P-51 debate.

SN

I had hoped because they were closer to the period they might be accurate. Am I then to assume they were complete crap, and utterly untrustworthy?

I have researched this until I'm blue in the face and have arrived at nothing conclusive. Since one of the main contributors of this Profile also flew the plane in question and contributed photos from his own collection, there was a glimmer of hope that it might be legit.

Since no one actually knows, that's better. I'm relegated to drawing my "best guess" conclusions, anyway, so I'll go with Mr. Spoonts' contribution.

Certainly not "utter crap." As I mentioned, the old Profiles are still a handy reference, just bear in mind that a lot of reaearch has been done in the decades since they were originally published, so they shouldn't be taken as gospel. It's always best to cross-reference as many different reference sources as you can. In the case of your P-39, it sounds like you had already done some research, and the Profile provided the confirming info you needed, which is great.

I have a ton of the old Profiles, as well as the (nearly as old) Arco/Aircam series and several dozen "In Actions," and I use them all the time as basic references.

SN

" It's always best to cross-reference as many different reference sources as you can. In the case of your P-39, it sounds like you had already done some research, and the Profile provided the confirming info you needed, which is great."

That's how Im approaching it.

I also learned that most Aleutian P-39's had the left door sealed with tape, the gun ports covered with canvas and nearly any opening in the front likewise treated.

Because there was no engine forward with its attendant heat, any draft that trickled back to the cockpit was a cold one.*

So a Kodiak 'Cobra could be rendered to depict this - and never are. I have yet to see this in any of the research to date, although in fairness I havent focused on the Aleutian campaign. I suppose there is some benefit after all to reading arcane manuscripts.

* because the heaters operated from the fuel

system and were thought to thin the mixture and cause engine damage, most Alaskan P-39's also had their heaters disabled. Brrrrr!

The tidbit about the sealed door is one I'd never heard before..a fascinating bit of trivia. It doesn't surprise me that they sealed the left one..I've read that the throttle quadrant extends into the door opening and if a pilot entered/exited on the left, he'd bash his knee on it.

SN