I like reading a good aviation novel....where in the plot has a chance of being a real occurrence or event. I'm of the mindset (more an assumption :whistle: ) that most if not all aviation fiction writers do research, and/or get technical expertise from folks who have actual experience with the subject of their novel. Tom Clancy's books are good, as are Dale Brown, a favorite series of mine is done by J.J. Savarin, Trophy, Target Down, and Pale Flyer, about a fictional NATO unit comprised of aircrews from different NATO members, and with a fictional aircraft the Tornado ASV. the premise is somewhat believable which to me makes it a good read. "Flight of the Old Dog" is equally a real possibility. Mack Maloney's novels are a good read, however a bit far fetched as in better as Sci-fi, as is his Wingman series. I can't remember the title, but one novel I read has a plane so phenomenal, it would give "Skunk works" engineers a momentary heart flutter, the kids in DARPA would be foaming at the mouth. It had some of the features made prominent in "Firefox", and the attributes of JHMCS long before they were made public; with flight characteristics of the "Raptor".

With all that said, does anyone know of some other good aviation novels that are a good read with a plot that is very much a real possibility?; or just a plain good read that doesn't go to far afield. I'm a bit out of touch with what has been done in recent years in the genre of novels.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

I always enjoyed Tom Wilson's books about THUD drivers and Wild Weasels in Vietnam. Wilson himself was a Bear in Vietnam. "Termite Hill", "Tango Uniform", and "Lucky's Bridge" were the three novels he wrote. I couldn't put them down. Inspired me to build a couple Monogram F-105's.

:cheers:

The Last Tallyho by Richard Newhafer.

Newhafer was a Navy Cross winning Hellcat pilot, the original PR man for the Blue Angel's, and a script writer for numerous aviation themed TV shows in the fifties and sixties.

But the Last Tallyho is simply splendid. A towering work by a real writer at the top of his form. Easy to find a used copy on Amazon and well worth the read. My favorite aviation novel, the writing is tight and elegant.

Harry

Lutz, FL

It's outside of your parameters," but Fredrick Forsyth's The Shepherd is a good afternoon read for this time of year.

I enjoyed Richard Herman's The Warbirds. It has F-4s! His follow-up novels with F-15Es were also pretty decent.

Ben

The Wooden Wolf by John Kelly is also a superb flying novel -about an early USN night fighter pilot transferred to a secret RAF Mosquito unit... with a secret agenda.

Riveting.

Harry

Lutz, FL

82Whitey51 - I had forgotten Taxi Dancer - I loved that book and will dig it out tonight. Thanks.

The best one IMO opinion is James Salter's The Hunters. It was based on his experiences in the Korean War, and is considered one of the best aviation novels of all time.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Hunters-Novel-James-Salter/dp/0375703926

I've seen the movie based on the novel and like with many other movies taken from novels, Follyweird changed things; even the name of the lead character <_< . The movie for aircraft buffs like us, it's fantastic; as it had actual F-86 Sabres, however the [MiG's] were for anyone in the know F-84F's. To the casual movie goer those big Red stars made them MiG's!!!.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

Mark Berent's series about Vietnam is well worth a read, the author was an F-100 pilot in Vietnam.

Rolling Thunder

Steel Tiger

Phantom Leader

Eagle Station

Storm Flight

Robert Gandt wrote a series of six books about a fictional US Navy pilot

With Hostile Intent

Act of Vengeance

Black Star

Shadows of War

The Killing Sky

Black Star Rising

Stephen

The books by WEB Griffin have always been some of my favorites. Not necessarily aviation but the army series does delve deeply into helos and the Corps series has Corsairs and other marine aircraft. Shame they really never finished the Corps. :(

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished "Raven One", by Kevin Miller. I read it in one day, it was that good. Modern day setting about an F-18 squadron on a carrier in the Gulf. About halfway through the book, something is revealed that took me by surprise, which I'm sure the author did in purpose. I'm glad he did it though.

• 5 months later...