GWH 1/48 scale F-15C

I've been looking forward to GWH 1/48 scale F-15C MSIP 11 Eagle since it was announced. This is their 2nd Eagle release: the F-15 B/D being their 1st, and has all the needed corrections from the 2nd run. While I'm by no means a rivet counter, with today's computer aided CAD programs, I do expect the finished model to be a close representation.

Once I opened the rather large box was that I've never seen so many sprue trees and parts for a 1/48 scale jet before. Needless to say, I'm more then impressed with the kit.

The only issue I have with the kit is the decal sheet, as it's rather a uninspiring offering, Don't misinterpret my meaning as poor decals. The 2 sheets, including comprehensive stencils looks fantastic, but rather a somewhat more colorful option of markings, so I just might go with an after market set.

carcd48022.jpg

carcd48022c.jpg

One of the few AM parts I've opted for on both my F-4B and A-63 builds was resin ejection seats. The Aces 11 seat in the kit really looks quite nice.

F-15C12_05_14_003.jpg

I decided to remove the molded on shoulder harness and securing straps and use a combination of PE extras and Masking Tape to replace them. The kit doesn't come with seatbelts, so adding the double set of seatbelts was that much quicker.

I grab handles are just painted yellow for now, but once the seat is sealed, weathered with a wash, I'll use a fine tip black marker to add the black stripes.

F-15C12_08_14_0061024x683.jpg

Joel

Nicholassan, Falcon20driver, and ChippyWho,

Welcome to the party. Glad you guys are tagging along. feel free to keep me on track, correct my mistakes, and suggest better ways to get things accomplished.

Joel

As always, I'm all in!

John,

You've been missed. Hope all is well, and you've finished your attic so you can get back to modeling.

Joel

Oh, this is gonna be fantastic! Until I can afford my own kit I'll be enjoying it through you :D/>

Go dude!:D/>

Janne,

I'm simply amazed at the detail in this kit. the cockpit is a model all by itself. I really don't think you would gain much with the Aires cockpit, it's that good. Going to be taking my time with this build, as I don't want to screw it up.

I'm really glad you'll be following my build. Your in-depth knowledge will be a tremendous help.

Joel

hi!

I will follow you!!

cheers!

Rom,

Welcome aboard. Nice to have you along for the ride.

Joel

Joel,

Really looking forward to this one! I have this kit and will be taking notes. Nice choice on the markings too! Keep it coming mate!

Crazy Sap Captain,

Welcome to the party. Grab a seat and join right in.

Like I said, the kit looks amazing. I compared the kit interior details to my brothers Aires cockpit, and there just isn't enough of a difference to justify adding it. True, some of the wiring details are thicker, but the overall look and effect is perfect, and so far the part fit has been dead on.

Joel

Joel-

I just got my workbench up and running Sunday. Working on the F9F-8T currently.

John

John,

that's great to hear. Looking forward to following your build. I can't wait for the single seater to be released in a few weeks.

Joel

Thought I'd would do a quick update since I've finished the kit seat. I modified the top of the shoulder harnesses so that where they attach to the seat they look like 4 individual belts. I used a black ultra fine tip marker to add the black lines to the hand grips. Finally, a few washes of Raw Umber enamel paint heavily thinned, and liberally applied to seat cushions and belts. The Aces 11 seat is just loosely fitted into the cockpit. It actually fits between the two support rails, but the fit is very tight, and I didn't want to take a chance on breaking one of them.

F-15C12_12_14_018.jpg

F-15C12_12_14_020.jpg

As you can see I started the cockpit sub assembly, which is about the most detailed kit cockpit I've ever seen. The side walls have almost as much detail as a resin cockpit. And for my display purposes it's more then adequate. Here's the start of the side walls.

F-15C12_10_14_011.jpg

The main section of the cockpit and the electronics bay are well detailed. And everything fits perfectly. Just amazing.

F-15C12_10_14_009.jpg

F-15C12_10_14_010.jpg

The instrument panel is beautifully modeled with excellent detail. But I was concerned that the instrument faces were just a little too shallow after the instrument decals were added and lenses made from Pledge, so I decided to drill all of them out, then make a back plate from .040 sheet.

F-15C12_10_14_014.jpg

F-15C12_10_14_016.jpg

Finally I test fitted the two sides, and the IP to get a sense of how it would look, and how good the fit is. Well, it looks outstanding, and the fit is 100% perfect.

F-15C12_12_14_022.jpg

F-15C12_12_14_021.jpg

Thanks to all for stopping by.

Joel

Now that pit is coming together nicely :D/>/>

Janne,

Thanks. Still a lot to do. The throttles are just a plastic blob. If you look closely at the throttle quadrant, you'll see new ones that I've made from steel wire and White glue. I didn't mention them as yet, since they're not done nor painted, as I didn't want to attract any attention to them.

Joel

Nice office so far. Dials are always tricky...

Nicholassagan,

That's the truth. I'm still struggling with all the instrument faces, but I'm going to win this battle one way or the other. :thumbsup:/>/>

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Nice project and very nice progress.

Thank you for the very good pics. If you don't mind I will use your pics as reference for my F-15 builds.

Sincerely

Pascal

Pascal,

Coming from you, that's a huge compliment. Feel free to use any of my pictures if it will be of benefit to you. Although, after following all your builds, you're photography skills are the equal of anyone's I've seen.

Joel

Great work so far Joel. How do you keep your green mat that you work on so clean? Mine looks like a 5 year old was finger painting on it.

Falcon20Driver,

Thank you so much for stopping by and having a look.

Ok, I'll confess the secret of my nearly spotless Tamiya Green Mat: It's brand new :whistle:/> I've destroyed one Tamiya large Matt and just recently that hideous gray matt that's just not anywhere as good as the Tamiya mat. So saving a few dollars wasn't worth it. With the new matt, I'm being super careful for now. No painting directly on it. I cover it with a few sheets of Newspaper or paper towel, and I never turn it over. So when I do eventually mess up its looked, at least I'll have the backside for pictures. My original Tamiya mat lasted 3 years, and was past its useful work life, so it got retired. The Gray matt made it a little more then 2 years, and just never recovered from all the cuts like the Tamiya mat does, eventually becoming a useless modeling surface, covered with paint and glue stains. One day I tried to clean it, and made its looks worse. So it was retired and sent off to the town incinerator. :wave:/>

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Well, yesterday I finally finished the cockpit. I added the tops of the electrical boxes, as well as the handles, then I masked and airbrushed them Nato Black. When the paint had dried, I dry brushed everything that had an edge or raised detail with a medium gray acrylic paint, and let it dry for a hour or so. Next up was a wash of Burnt Umber enamel paint, that helped to bring out the details in the electrical compartment behind the cockpit.

I finished up the IP and made all the lenses out of Pledge. My biggest issue is that most of them looks completely black in the pictures. It's really a lot harder to photograph then I thought.

the seat is just test fitted in, and the flight stick was left out for now.

F-15C12_15_14_025.jpg

F-15C12_15_14_037.jpg

F-15C12_15_14_028.jpg

F-15C12_15_14_029.jpg

I constructed the front wheel well which went together perfectly, then air brushed on Tamiya Gray Primer, followed by Nato Black, then Tamiya Gloss White. When dry it also received a wash of Burnt Umber to bring out the excellent molded on detail.

F-15C12_15_14_050.jpg

F-15C12_15_14_051.jpg

I was real curious to see how the cockpit shell would fit into the front sub assembly of the fuselage. The fit was perfect. As a matter of fact, I was amazed that the two halves when joined fit so well, that they stayed together without any tape. Lets hope that the rest of the major sub assemblies have this good of a fit.

F-15C12_15_14_047.jpg

F-15C12_15_14_035.jpg

Thanks for stopping by and having a look.

Joel