GWH 1/48 scale F-15C

I agree, close all the doors. The eagle looks much better buttoned up.

305swag,

Agreed. I've already closed up the electrical panels on both sides of the nose, and am really inclined to do the same with the nose cone. Those display/detail options would look best being displayed in a diorama.

Joel

As Tamiya's 1/32 Mustang and Spitfire have no equals, Revell's Strike Eagle is the best in it's class.......'nuff said

#1Greywolf,

While the Revell offering is presently number #1 for that scale/variant, if GWH did indeed produce a E at the level of detail and accuracy of it's C, it would surpass the Revell offering. It's just that simple. But the fact is that of now, GWH hasn't said that they were or weren't going to do a E. The only rumors of such have been exactly that of rumors from the uninformed, which means literally nothing.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

I agree that a GHW F-15E would be nice, but considering how nice the Revell kit is, and how much cheaper it is as well, I would say that it is a definite contender. The price difference would buy you an Aires cockpit and a Eduard zoom set, and then I donĀ“t know which one would be the best.

Joel,

I have to say, that is an amazing bit of work and detail you're putting into this one! The work on the intakes sure does look like it was well worth the effort. Your front office is looking pretty sharp as well!

Cheers.

Mark,

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking a look at my progress on the F-15C. Basically, it's out of the Box with just little details added here and there. Still, enough of a challenge for this old timer.

Joel

Progress has been at my usual snails pace, but some progress has been made none the less.

After gluing up the fuselage cockpit sides, and closing up the two electrical panels, some sanding and light putty work was needed to blend, and even out the surface. The nose cone fit was fairly good, but a small step was quite evident on the top. I sanded, then blended in some Green stuff.

F-15C12_25_14_080.jpg

After gluing in the air intake trumpets, the single piece top fuselage/wing was glued to the bottom half, resulting in a absolutely perfect main fuselage/wing section, without any issues concerning proper wing orientation.

F-15C12_25_14_075.jpg

F-15C12_25_14_078.jpg

F-15C12_25_14_085.jpg

Even with the near perfect fit of the upper and lower fuselage halves, I did have some minor seam and gap issues. For the most part either Green Stuff or Vallejo White Acrylic putty took care of them as you can see in the above pictures. Do to my carelessness in dry fitting the intakes to the main fuselage, I ended up with a little misalignment that was best dealt with by a small piece of .040 sheet and some green stuff, as you can see at the front of the wing right behind the intakes.

Next up was gluing the cockpit section to the main fuselage section. The fit is simply outstanding. Here's a picture of the final test fit

F-15C12_25_14_083.jpg

I just used some Tamiya Extra thin and a few pieces of tape till the glue dries.

F-15C12_25_14_082.jpg

F-15C12_25_14_087.jpg

Whatever small issues that have to dealt with, will be done with Vallejo White putty so that the seams still remains.

Up next my attention will be focused on the landing gear assemblies.

Thanks for stopping by, and checking out my progress.

Joel

great work Joel, I am enjoying seeing this one come together.

And I agree on the decal choices in the kit - though I provided references for the 104th FW jet, I think more options/units could have been provided.

Ken,

Glad you're enjoying my build. I'm still seating on the fence about the decals, but sooner then later I'll have to make a decision.

Joel

JA

very impressive work and I have to hand it to GWH for doing the wings right and getting away from the wing to fuselage seam which doesn't exists on the real deal

Bro

Pete,

Thanks for stopping by.

GWH really set a new standard with the engineering and execution on this kit. The traditional method leaves a nasty seam to deal with, that results in a lot of lost panel line details.

Joel

falcon20driver' Joel its looking great Its seems like GWH has done a heck of a job with this kit.I'm looking forward to your continued progress.

Falcon20driver,

Thank you for finding the time to stop by, and liking what you've seen. I know that I just continue to rave about the quality and fit of the GWH kit, but it's without a doubt the best kit I've ever built. Everything fits, or fits as good as humanly possible, since they can't factor in ones screw ups. The only thing I can't comment on is the accuracy of the kits details, althoughĀ everything certainly looks exactly like all the references I have of F-15Cs.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Hey Buddy, your Eagle is looking very good at this stage- a stage where you can finally get a glimpse of how everything will look at the end. Great work on all the stuff behind the cockpit, which is very tricky and picky.

If I might make one small suggestion, I would re-scribe a lot of those kit panel lines. They look a little wide and shallow, so a light application of a scriber will do wonders when you finally add a wash and make them "pop" near the end.

Chuck

Hey Buddy, your Eagle is looking very good at this stage- a stage where you can finally get a glimpse of how everything will look at the end. Great work on all the stuff behind the cockpit, which is very tricky and picky.

If I might make one small suggestion, I would re-scribe a lot of those kit panel lines. They look a little wide and shallow, so a light application of a scriber will do wonders when you finally add a wash and make them "pop" near the end.

Chuck

Chuck,

Thanks for stopping by, and liking my efforts to date. As for the panel lines, how right you are. I've just started working on the complete fuselage assembly and still have the tips of the very end of the fuselage to glue on, and of course the massive top fuselage spoiler, which will be in the closed position. Checking the pictures I've posted, I have a little more seam work to correct, like the inside of the intakes, then I'll be re-scribing as needed. I truly suck at this, even after reading and saving your tutorial on re-scribing. So it's going to be a more like two steps forward, and one step back, but I'm going to really work at it.

Joel

Chuck,

Started to re-scribe very slowly, and I mean slowly with the Tamiya J cutter, a pin in a vice, a small steel straight edge for straight lines on a level surface. For all curved surfaces I used 3 layers of masking tape cut with a straight edge. I got the idea from Paul Budzik, and it worked just fine. I've managed one top of an intake and a 1/3 of the way down the top of the fuselage without a screw up, but I have my extra thin Zap A Gap and kicker ready. I'm just doing 3 light passes, and I'm getting up some plastic. Thanks for pushing me past my comfort zone and settling for good enough.

Joel

Awesome build Joe. Can't seem to keep with you.

Try the UMM scriber (if you haven't) -- it's awesome IMHO and with the right technique it scribes (or re-scribes) those panel lines very cleanly and scale in appearance. Check the you tube video (push/pull method)..I can re-scribe without any templates for the most part. I've been practicing with it and I'm definitely a convert.

Chuck,

Started to re-scribe very slowly, and I mean slowly with the Tamiya J cutter, a pin in a vice, a small steel straight edge for straight lines on a level surface. For all curved surfaces I used 3 layers of masking tape cut with a straight edge. I got the idea from Paul Budzik, and it worked just fine. I've managed one top of an intake and a 1/3 of the way down the top of the fuselage without a screw up, but I have my extra thin Zap A Gap and kicker ready. I'm just doing 3 light passes, and I'm getting up some plastic. Thanks for pushing me past my comfort zone and settling for good enough.

Joel

Hey Joel, here's a tip that I just learned myself recently on my Trumpeter A-10 and will be employing on my Trumpeter P-38 (did I say "Trumpeter" enough times? :rolleyes: ). Try to rescribe most of the panel lines before gluing any parts together. It's way easier to do and if you screw up, easier to fix with CA glue. Of course you will still need to do touch-ups on curved surfaces, etc. after assembly, but you will save yourself a lot of pain if you do it early. As a matter of fact, that is exactly what I'm doing on the P-38 right now!

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Hey Joel, here's a tip that I just learned myself recently on my Trumpeter A-10 and will be employing on my Trumpeter P-38 (did I say "Trumpeter" enough times? :rolleyes:/> ). Try to rescribe most of the panel lines before gluing any parts together. It's way easier to do and if you screw up, easier to fix with CA glue. Of course you will still need to do touch-ups on curved surfaces, etc. after assembly, but you will save yourself a lot of pain if you do it early. As a matter of fact, that is exactly what I'm doing on the P-38 right now!

Cheers,

Chuck

Chuck,

Thanks for that tip. Too late for the F-15C build, but will certainly do it on my next build, the Revell 1/38 scale PBY-5A.

Joel

Awesome build Joe. Can't seem to keep with you.

Try the UMM scriber (if you haven't) -- it's awesome IMHO and with the right technique it scribes (or re-scribes) those panel lines very cleanly and scale in appearance. Check the you tube video (push/pull method)..I can re-scribe without any templates for the most part. I've been practicing with it and I'm definitely a convert.

Shaka HI,

Thanks for the tip. I buy a lot of tools from UMM-USA, and need to order a few things.

Joel

Joel,

Keep up the great work. Your build convinced me to go ahead and get the GWH F-15B/D kit.

Rodney

Rodney,

Thank You for you most positive comment.

GWH's B/D kit had two releases. The 1st one has a lot of shape issues. Many of those issues were resolved in the 2nd release, but not all. The C kit looks dead on to me, but I'm not a rivet counter. I would suggest that you do a few Google searches for reviews and build reviews to see for yourself. Gary Wickham @ http://www.scalespot.com/ has a great build on the B/D, which is a good place to start.

Joel