GWH 1/48 scale F-15C

I've been following your work for quite some time. I am totally with you on the subject of panel lines and riveting. As I see it, you nailed it - you can see it's there, it breaks the wing and fuselage surfaces but doesn't detract from the model.

I've been following your work for quite some time. I am totally with you on the subject of panel lines and riveting. As I see it, you nailed it - you can see it's there, it breaks the wing and fuselage surfaces but doesn't detract from the model.

Sebastijan,

That's exactly what I'm trying to achieve.

Joel

+1! Very realistic looking and subtle. Great job Joel!

Steve

+1! Very realistic looking and subtle. Great job Joel!

Steve

Steve,

Thank you for appreciating my efforts. My weathering philosophy is slowly developing into simply less is more. How to go about achieving that is turning into quite a journey.

Joel

Great job as usual Joel! I really like your model!!

Very nice and subtle Joel, I love it.

Beautiful Joel,a great job overall!

Gianni

Kike, Pete,, and Giani,

Thank you all for taking the time to stop by and taking a look at my Eagle build. I really appreciate your most positive comments, as it means a lot to me, especially with my weathering philosophy, as it means that I'm heading in the right direction.

Joel

It's been a little while since I last updated my progress on the F-15C build. Work has concentrated on completing both wing stations and the centerline station for just the 300 gallon drop tank. All 3 stations have been painted with Model Master FS36375 Light Ghost Gray. The AIM-9X Sidewinders, as well as the AIM-120A AMRAAMs & AIM-120C AMRAAMs have also been painted. The Yellow and Red stripes were masked and air brushed on as the kit decals just didn't want to lay down. Honestly, it was faster to mask, paint, and cleanup, then deal with each of those stripes.

All the various components received a coating of Glosscoat as a base for the kit decal stencils. With a little effort and using Paul Budziks 3 step decaling procedure of Micro Set under and over, then Micro Sol, followed by Solvaset, worked perfectly. This has been the 1st model ever that I've used Solvaset, and I'm more then impressed.

Once the decals had dried overnight, a 2nd coat of Glosscoat was applied. I let that dry for several hours, then I applied a Sludge was of Flories Dark wash. To make it flow into the shallow panel recesses, I thinned it 2 parts wash to 1 part warm tap water. 15 min later I very carefully removed the excess with damp Qtips, then sealed with Dullcoat.

Finally after a few hours of drying time, I glued up the stations with Gorilla glue. Just amazing stuff.

I'm really quite happy how the homemade wield seams turned out after the wash. Honestly, they look better then the smooth kit wield seams.

Here's a few pictures of the stations and loads.

Joel

DSC_1534.jpg

DSC_1535.jpg

DSC_1536.jpg

DSC_1538.jpg

Wow! Nice work on the payload! Missiles are always tricky for me so thanks for setting an example :)/>

Nicholas,

Thank you.

Missiles and bombs are no big deal especially with your skill level. I did notice in those larger then life size pictures that the fins on all the missiles are both rough looking, and speckled from hand painting them with Tamiya gun metal. when viewed on the model it's not noticeable but still there. Next time I'm going to get some MM enamel in the proper colors as it is smoother and more consistent when hand brushing is needed.

Joel

Looking really good, Joel. Now I'm on the fence as to which to build after the Harrier - F-14 or F-15. Your build pulls me towards the latter even though I already have the F-14 on hand. By the way,has the mudhen nickname been around for a while? I see Fighting Falcons are now Vipers. Just glad Tom Turkey isn't as popular.

JA

Awesome work on the drop tanks, pylons and missiles ..looking fantastic.

Keep 'em coming

Bro

Pete,

It's always a special post when you take the time to stop by ARC and check out my my F-15C build. Glad you really like what you see. It's amazing how much better our work is now then back in the stone age of the 70s.

Joel

Joel - nice work on the weathering and missiles/tanks

Ken,

Thanks for stopping by and checking out my build to date. I've given you a great deal of the credit for keeping my on track, as you sure know your stuff about F-15Cs. Glad you like my weathering efforts. I've really tried to focus on keeping everything in balance with no one thing taking the spotlight, so that the overall effect is all about a operational F-15C.

Joel