GWH 1/48 scale F-15C

JA

Nothing wrong with trying a different acrylic color line which has all the colors needed. I've found it so much easier to just buy the box set of colors I need for a build and I'm all set for more then just the current build down the road. I've been using Model Air lately, great paint to shoot and started out with the color set I needed and if additional colors are needed, fill in with single bottles. I willing to bet, it's the way of the future for paint sales.

Bro

Well, it was time to finally turn my attention to the exhaust areas and finish the exhaust cones/engine assemblies. I decided to completely do the bottom 1st which is by far the larger of the two areas of the exhaust area, then the top side of the exhausts. Time wise, it's about the same as doing both simultaneously, but this way I only have to turn the F-15C once.

I started by masking off the bottom exhaust areas with little pieces of Tamiya tape, then larger pieces as a backing, then some paper towel to cover the rest of the fuselage. Of course, some how I managed to get a little over spray under the paper towels that had to be retouched later. Next up I air brushed on Alcad's Gloss Black base coat over the Tamiya primer. I gave that a day to dry, then polished it out with Micro Mesh pads from 4,000 to 12,000. The areas that I couldn't get to, I used a combination of Q tips and a soft cotton cloth to apply Mequiar's Scratch X 2.0. I always polish on the conservative side, as I've more then once polished right through paint and primer!!

I used Alcad Stainless Steel and the base color, Magnesium , and Duralumin for different sections. I tried some blue pastel chalks as well, but wasn't thrilled with the results, so buffed most of it off.

I also noticed in the pictures on the bottom that the left exhaust area needs to be retouched as somehow I managed to damage the Alcad finish. Not a big deal as it doesn't take much time. I just have to remember to actually do it.

Joel

F-15C01_19_15_144.jpg

F-15C01_19_15_145.jpg

F-15C01_19_15_146.jpg

F-15C01_19_15_157.jpg

F-15C01_19_15_159.jpg

Edited by Joel_W

Joel, I know you were predominantly a prop guy previously but you are rapidly becoming a jet master. Your paint work is stunning, crisp, and sharp. This eagle is going to be a winner once its all finished up.

Falcon20driver,

Thanks so much for those more then kind words. But I still have a hard time understanding all the ins and outs of Jets.

Joel

Joel - nice work with the metal paint. The metal area should go up to the inside base of each tail, if you look back at the 102nd Fighter Wing image you posted, showing the back end, you can see it.

Regarding the overall camo, the pattern of darker grey is more of a smooth and squiggely (is that a word?) pattern. On the front fuselage sides, you can see here how the camo pattern goes down further

In memory of Lt. Col. Morris "Moose" Fontenot

"Pondering"

Tail area has more a squiggley, smooth edged pattern

F-15D_860181_KPAM_16November2006_KenMiddleton_4x6_web_DSC_6625

I hope that helps and I am enjoying watching this come together. But regarding the paint, ultimately, if you are happy with it, that's all that matters.

Ken

Joel - nice work with the metal paint. The metal area should go up to the inside base of each tail, if you look back at the 102nd Fighter Wing image you posted, showing the back end, you can see it.

Regarding the overall camo, the pattern of darker grey is more of a smooth and squiggely (is that a word?) pattern. On the front fuselage sides, you can see here how the camo pattern goes down further

https://www.flickr.c...03/14890787508/

https://www.flickr.c...03/10524175013/

Tail area has more a squiggley, smooth edged pattern

https://www.flickr.c...N03/6650328921/

I hope that helps and I am enjoying watching this come together. But regarding the paint, ultimately, if you are happy with it, that's all that matters.

Ken

Ken,

I just doubled checked the kit painting guide, and I masked according to it. Just checked the picture I posted, and the NM areas goes to the base of the twin tails. Will re-mask and shoot the upper exhaust area when I fix the scuff marks on the bottom. I'm assuming that GWH got it wrong. As for the camo paint scheme. It's too late to redue it as I'm almost done with the stenciling for the top, so I'll just live with my errors, and do a better job of copying the camo pattern next time.

Joel

Looking yummie there :D/>

Nice cans on that one :D/>

Janne,

Thanks for stopping by. Thought you would like those cans. They're from the kit. BTW, Ken pointed out that I need to extend the BMF to the base of the tails. Some do and some don't. I looked at your build, and you have it like I do. Sure seems like the paint schemes varied quite a bit.

Joel

The metal work looks awesome! The engines are bang in as well! Keep going! Nice to see another Eagle coming together!

twhite80,

Thanks so much for those most kind words. Like I said, you're doing two to my one, and doing a fantastic build on both!

Joel

Joel, not to continue being anal :)/>/> , but on all real USAF F-15s, it extends to the base of the tails.

Ken,

From the limited photos I've seen, they do indeed extend to the base of the tails. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to point me in the right direction, so I can correct my errors whenever possible.

Jets are a completely different breed then WW11 props, which is what I almost exclusively modeled up until my F-4B followed by the A-6E, both modeled just last year. When I say I feel like a lost soul at times when it comes to nomenclature, electronics, and weapons, I'm not kidding. I'm a plastic modeler, not a true aircraft enthusiast as many are here, and at times take things for granted or as presented in the kit without questioning or asking for assistance here on ARC.

I'll be sanding off the one No Step decal, then masking and reshooting 1st the black gloss base, then the Alcad 11 Stainless Steel. Like I said, I followed the kit instructions and they're wrong. I was asking Janne (Aigore) about how he handled it on his build out of curiosity. It wasn't intended to question your knowledge on F-15s.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

It wasn't intended to question your knowledge on F-15s.

Joel - I didn't take that way at all. With the constant changes/upgrades to modern military aircraft it is hard to keep track of them all. I am fortunate I can photograph them pretty close, and I still have to refer to my pics now and then. It is unfortunately fairly common for instructions for both kits and decals to be incorrect or vague.

The GWH kit is not inexpensive and you certainly have the talent and skill (more than me!) to make a showpiece - just trying to offer some assistance.

So, are you doing the 104th Fighter Wing one from the kit decals?

Lovely work - really captured the camouflage perfectly. This is one kit that at some point I need to add to my stash.

Crosbinsonh,

Thanks so much for stopping by and having a look at my build blog. I do appreciate your more then kind and generous comments.

Joel

Joel - I didn't take that way at all. With the constant changes/upgrades to modern military aircraft it is hard to keep track of them all. I am fortunate I can photograph them pretty close, and I still have to refer to my pics now and then. It is unfortunately fairly common for instructions for both kits and decals to be incorrect or vague.

The GWH kit is not inexpensive and you certainly have the talent and skill (more than me!) to make a showpiece - just trying to offer some assistance.

So, are you doing the 104th Fighter Wing one from the kit decals?

Ken,

I'm learning slowly but surely at my usual "Old & Slow" pace. And I really do appreciate your input. BTW, as far as loads out goes, I'm planning on the three 300 gal gas tanks, 4 AIM-120SA AMRAAM missiles mounted to the lower fuselage, two AIM-120C AMRAAM and two AIM-9X Sidewinder missiles mounted on either side of the wing stations along with one of the gas tanks. Is this a realistic loads out, or have I over done it?

As far as the decals go, I usually have all that finalized and ready to go along with paints etc. before I start the build, but It's been a case of pure indecision with this build. I just didn't know what I really wanted to do as long as it's a MOD paint scheme, I figured I'd be ok. I finally decided and ordered from Sprue Brothers the Caracal F-15C Air National Guard sheet part #1, sheet # CD48021. I really like the 142 FW of the Portland Oregon ANG RedHawks markings in red, not just the gray color.

Joel

caracal.jpg

carcd48021c.jpg

Edited by Joel_W

Hey Joel! I like the red markings too. Todays aircraft are really colorless with all the gray. Probably why I selected the markings I did as well. I like the subdued too but, a little color is nice to see. Whatever you choose though I am sure they will come out great.

The paint is looking great. If you are going for that heat stain on the engines you may want to try a clear blue, clear orange, and/or clear yellow paint. I have seen the effect used on auto models exhaust and it's really convincing. You are really moving on this build so I am not sure why you think you are slow?

Edited by taggor

Hey Joel! I like the red markings too. Todays aircraft are really colorless with all the gray. Probably why I selected the markings I did as well. I like the subdued too but, a little color is nice to see. Whatever you choose though I am sure they will come out great.

The paint is looking great. If you are going for that heat stain on the engines you may want to try a clear blue, clear orange, and/or clear yellow paint. I have seen the effect used on auto models exhaust and it's really convincing. You are really moving on this build so I am not sure why you think you are slow?

Taggor,

Thanks for stopping by, and liking my most modest efforts. The colorless paint schemes of today is really hard for an old timer like me, who grew up modeling the color aircraft of WW11.

I've got a bottle of Tamiya clear yellow and clear blue, and just might try it after I extend the MNF to the base of the twin tails.

Compared to a lot of builds going on here, everyone seems to make more progress then I do most of the time, and I must spend a good 16-20 hours per week modeling.

Joel

Ken,

I'm learning slowly but surely at my usual "Old & Slow" pace. And I really do appreciate your input. BTW, as far as loads out goes, I'm planning on the three 300 gal gas tanks, 4 AIM-120SA AMRAAM missiles mounted to the lower fuselage, two AIM-120C AMRAAM and two AIM-9X Sidewinder missiles mounted on either side of the wing stations along with one of the gas tanks. Is this a realistic loads out, or have I over done it?

As far as the decals go, I usually have all that finalized and ready to go along with paints etc. before I start the build, but It's been a case of pure indecision with this build. I just didn't know what I really wanted to do as long as it's a MOD paint scheme, I figured I'd be ok. I finally decided and ordered from Sprue Brothers the Caracal F-15C Air National Guard sheet part #1, sheet # CD48021. I really like the 142 FW of the Portland Oregon ANG RedHawks markings in red, not just the gray color.

Joel

Hey Joel - that loadout is OK, though I am not sure there would be a mix of the type of AIM-120's mounted, but I wouldn't worry about that all. A current combat load is typically 2 wing tanks, the AIM-9X and AMI-120 on the wing pylon stations, and 2 AIM-120s on the forward fuselage stations, with the rear stations empty. But like I said, your choice is perfectly fine.

Nice choice of markings - I did that exact jet and decals with the Revell/Monogram kit almost 2 years ago. I added some simple vent covers from a heavy paper shopping bag that had lots of red lettering on it (attached with a tiny amount of white glue). I used Tamiya's spray can of TS-32 Haze Gray for the darker camo and AS-11 Medium Sea Grey for the main color, and paper masks. I had sanded off most of the raised panel lines, and after painting and decaling drew over some of them with a pencil.

I also made nozzle covers from tissue and white glue/water mix, and then painted red.

DSC_1794_r.jpg

DSC_1804_r.jpg

Hey Joel - that loadout is OK, though I am not sure there would be a mix of the type of AIM-120's mounted, but I wouldn't worry about that all. A current combat load is typically 2 wing tanks, the AIM-9X and AMI-120 on the wing pylon stations, and 2 AIM-120s on the forward fuselage stations, with the rear stations empty. But like I said, your choice is perfectly fine.

Nice choice of markings - I did that exact jet and decals with the Revell/Monogram kit almost 2 years ago. I added some simple vent covers from a heavy paper shopping bag that had lots of red lettering on it (attached with a tiny amount of white glue). I used Tamiya's spray can of TS-32 Haze Gray for the darker camo and AS-11 Medium Sea Grey for the main color, and paper masks. I had sanded off most of the raised panel lines, and after painting and decaling drew over some of them with a pencil.

I also made nozzle covers from tissue and white glue/water mix, and then painted red.

DSC_1794_r.jpg

Ken,

Thanks for the quick reply. I most likely will go with the 4 AIM-120s since they're molded incredibly well, but I can also see me taking the easy way out and just detailing two of them.

What I thought was an easy, quick masking job took nearly a hour before work. It wasn't so much that the twin tails were on as the fact the the rudders are angled, and the right side one that is angled in, was very difficult to deal with. I did manage to lay down a few coats of Alcad Gloss Black base coat, which I'll polish out today, and then a few coats of Alcad Stainless Steel. Will also touch up the bottom scuff marks as well.

Your Revell F-1C is really quite well done. I really like those vent covers, and just might tinker around with some myself. Excellent choice of markings. they certainly do add a little much needed color and contrast to the model. As for your panel lines, they look quite convincing. I never would have thought about using a lead pencil even though I've heard of the technique.

Joel

thanks Joel - the covers do add some color and are a bit different. Thanks on my model, if I go to heavy on panel lines, I use an eraser to remove the excess - also, the shiny area on the front fuselage is actually the flash reflecting off the laminated label on the display base.

Ken,

I kind of figured that was where the reflection was coming from.

Will be taking a few quick grab shots tomorrow after I get up from working over night, and posting it. The exhaust area does look a lot better. Thanks for not letting me take the easy way out.

Joel

You're a gunslinger of a modeler, Joel. Last time I checked you just completed your P-38 and and this thread didn't exist. Now you're on your new build and it's 9 pages long. I wonder if you ever experience off-days where you just don't feel like building -- you probably don't have the slightest idea what I'm talking about. Your speed and work quality is amazing. Pretty soon this 5th kill will be on your banner. Hey, Ken, very nice F-15 and base there!

Edited by crackerjazz

You're a gunslinger of a modeler, Joel. Last time I checked you just completed your P-38 and and this thread didn't exist. Now you're on your new build and it's 9 pages long. I wonder if you ever experience off-days where you just don't feel like building -- you probably don't have the slightest idea what I'm talking about. Your speed and work quality is amazing. Pretty soon this 5th kill will be on your banner. Hey, Ken, very nice F-15 and base there!

Crackerjazz,

Been called plenty of colorful names in my modeling ventures over the years, but never a "gunslinger" Kind of like the sound of it . :chain-gun:/> or :gun:/>

The P-38 was finished 12/1. I had the F-15C for a while, and couldn't wait to get started on it. My building philosophy has always been start one kit, finish that kit, then start the next build. I don't even open the box till I'm close to starting it. Once opened, it's officially the next build. Of course I do my limited research as a much needed break from time to time, order AM parts as needed ( I do try to keep that in check), paints and building supplies, so I have everything on hand.

As for days off, or just not feeling like building, I have plenty of them, just less in the winter then the summer when I'm looking forward to fishing, or working on my car. And yes, old guys still like to tinker and detail their cars. I don't watch a lot of tv, but I do have my favorite shows, and I love Yankee baseball, and NY Giant football. I have a 22 inch HD monitor, and the Optimum app, so I can watch tv while I work on a model. After 35 years of marriage, my wife loves it when I model in my model/computer room, and she has the big screen all to herself. I'm semi retired, but have a weird work schedule, so I do have more free time then most of you youngsters. There are a few, but not many advantages to ones Golden years, and they don't last forever.

Joel