Naval group build  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of interest is there in a Naval GB? Any ship, any era, any scale, military or civilian.

• Yes
    • No

Just an idea for something new, how many of you guys would be interested in a Naval Group Build? Any nation, any period, any scale, civil or military, any amount of detailing/scratch building. No what if's. It might add a little variety, and for those of you that don't or have never tried a ship, to get your feet wet (pun intended) and pick up some tips and pointers. Thoughts?

Bill

Edited by rightwinger26

I would say yes, the float and have propellers.

I am in then. I have two TAMIYA Marine Corps AAVP7's that need some motivation to get built.

Cheers!

Don.

I'm in. I have a 1:350 YMS that I'll build as USS FULMAR (MSC[O] 47), commanded by my father

That's cool, is it Iron Shipwrights? I'm just starting a 1/200th Bismarck.

Are there models of military ears? I guess from a line of figures?

Good catch, stupid auto correct

I would say standard GB rules apply, a little can be done, but within reason. Maybe no more than hull work, or some random superstructure pieces. Each build would have a thread with progress pictures. I would say if this gets approved to have it set to start early summer time, some ships can be very detailed, that would give us time to decide what to build and get the appropriate detail kits, and time to decide what modifications need to be done if the standard kit is going to be modified to represent the ship at a specific point in its career. I'll be more than happy to be a Mod, but I would really like to have another due to the fact that my job can randomly take me away from time to time.

Bill

Personally, and not to sound selfish, but early summer is fantastic. Lets me get this Shturmovik out of the way, and time to prep all the stuff needed. I'm planning to take a trip up to Shearwater to take a look at the real deal and snap some photographs of the RCN Avenger they have up there.

I'd offer to help mod, but being both new here, and having a job that randomly takes me away to random places doing random things... I think it'd be safer not to jump in so quickly. Regardless, excellent GB idea, and yeah! I'm in!

Glad to have you aboard!! I still mulling over what to build, in my stash I have North Carolina, Warspite, Mogami, Z-29, and a 1/200th Missouri. I'm kind of leaning toward Warspite.......but I've been toying with the idea of getting the S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald too.

Bill

Naval GB as in ships only or including naval aviation? What about float planes, flying boats and such?

I already voted yes because I've got stuff that works regardless of the above answers, but could use some clarification.

Naval GB as in ships only or including naval aviation? What about float planes, flying boats and such?

I already voted yes because I've got stuff that works regardless of the above answers, but could use some clarification.

I would have to say ships only, the only exception would be this like DUKW, or LVT's and such. To my knowledge this is the first ship GB on this site, at least in the last 6 years I've been here.

Bill

And here I thought the whole time that it was open to anything Naval - including aircraft. Well, in that case!

Hahaha, my mistake. You know what, I've never built a ship before. Good reason to start, so yes, I am still very much in.

And here I thought the whole time that it was open to anything Naval - including aircraft. Well, in that case!

Hahaha, my mistake. You know what, I've never built a ship before. Good reason to start, so yes, I am still very much in.

Outstanding! That was my hope since the Ship forum doesn't get a lot of visits, except for a few regulars. I know this is AIRCRAFT Resource Center, but, we all love models, so the ship builders can show their work, and the builders that are interested and give it a go. And hey, we can all trade tips and pointers to keep us all on course.

Maybe a new name is need to help prevent confusion about aircraft......maybe the All Ahead Flank GB?

Bill

Edited by rightwinger26

Oh names.... we do get some good names out there....

"On the Docks GB"

NAH!!!! Ships belong at sea, Shipwreck! :woot.gif:/>

Maybe "Styrene Armada", "Iron Men, Plastic Ships"?

I personally think the Ships Forum, should be called the Ships Galley :)

Bill

Edited by rightwinger26

Oh names.... we do get some good names out there....

"The Floaters GB"

In my line of work, we have a nice motto... "all boats are meant to sink. Some do it on their own; others require our assistance" hahaha.

I'm planning to build my "Moby Dick" although finding a Sierra II may be fairly difficult. I'm thinking it may be easier to get an Akula and convert it over to the Sierra II rather than trying to find this one... hard enough in real life, I'll be damned if I let it do the same to me in the model world, hahahaha.