Naval group build  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of interest is there in a Naval GB? Any ship, any era, any scale, military or civilian.

• Yes
    • No

I need to build my buddy an Indianapolis. Maybe this will motivate me, never built a ship before.

Welcome aboard! Which Indy kit are you looking at? I've heard (never seen one in person) that the stern is all wrong on the 1/350th Trumpeter kit, might be something worth researching. I've been considering buying one of these and backdating it to make it a 1930's Portland. Is there a story behind building it for your buddy?

Bill

That's pretty cool. Trumpy ships are usually very very good, or they are balh. I have.e built quite a few, and they have all been good, and they come with some basic PE. I have heard the Indy, Hornet, and North Carolina have some pretty big issues with fit. I have North Carolina in the stash, but I haven't really looked at it.

I like Iron men, Plastic ships.

I've got a couple of ships / boats in the stash but what I build will be totally reliant on my mood when (if) this kicks off.

It has been quite some time since I've built a ship.

This GB is a terrific idea!

I've got a resin HMCS Haida that I've wanted to build for a few years now ... and another Great Lakes Freighter scratchbuild.

Count me in!

Pete

Which freighter??? I'm kicking around the idea of build ISW's Big Fitz.

You know what else would be cool, build a diorama of Pearl Harbor using GHQ miniatures

Edited by rightwinger26
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend a decent 1/350 kit to start with for a first time ship builder? I've read the Tamiya Fletcher is a good way to go....

Can't speak highly enough about the recent Dragon 1/350 US DD's. They have done the early Benson and Gleaves classes (including a late war ship) plus the very late war Sumner Class. State of the art detail, nice basic PE and they include some pretty nice looking crew figures. They even provide decal anti-slip tread for the main deck. If you really want to trick them out, about the only thing missing would be some PE railings.

Would love to see them do a Fletcher or even better, a cold war Gearing class FRAM.

Can't speak highly enough about the recent Dragon 1/350 US DD's. They have done the early Benson and Gleaves classes (including a late war ship) plus the very late war Sumner Class. State of the art detail, nice basic PE and they include some pretty nice looking crew figures. They even provide decal anti-slip tread for the main deck. If you really want to trick them out, about the only thing missing would be some PE railings.

Would love to see them do a Fletcher or even better, a cold war Gearing class FRAM.

Hey-

Completely agree that these kits are really nice. But I'd love to see them do a Sims class! Lots of great possibilities there and not much different from a Gleaves.

Phil

Hey-

Completely agree that these kits are really nice. But I'd love to see them do a Sims class! Lots of great possibilities there and not much different from a Gleaves.

Phil

Concur, I'd like to see them do a Mahan class. I've also really enjoyed building Trumpeter Z class destroyers, they too come with basic PE and railings. I will am about 99.9% that I'll be building the Academy 1/350 HMS Warspite, super tricked out with a ton of PE, metal barrels, AM props, the whole 9. BUT I may start with something quicker and smaller just to finish and add something to the display case. I'm glad to see interest in this GB, KEEP EM COMING!!!

Bill

I have a collection of craft from the War Between the States that I have been delinquent in starting, CSS Tennessee, CSS Albemarle, a David, CSS Hunley, and the picket boat used to sink the Albermarle. I also have more modern complicated ships to build, but can be too much during "work in the yard season." Maybe a 1/700 USS Lexington

I have a collection of craft from the War Between the States that I have been delinquent in starting, CSS Tennessee, CSS Albemarle, a David, CSS Hunley, and the picket boat used to sink the Albermarle. I also have more modern complicated ships to build, but can be too much during "work in the yard season." Maybe a 1/700 USS Lexington

Nice, are the ACW ships Flagship Models? I've been thinking about getting the USS Onandaga kit, I've read a lot of great reviews but have never actually talked to anyone that has built one. I completely understand the yard work season, I'm the same way, I like to play outside, its going to be fishing and camping season too!

• 3 weeks later...

3 months to go until we get underway!!!! Any ideas of what you are going to build? I'm 95% I'll be doing the Acadmey HMS Warspite.

I ordered a 1/350 Hobby Boss type IX C Uboat and a 1/350 AFV Type XXI Uboat plus some references, decals (flags), and PE. So once it arrives I will patiently wait for the GB start date.

:cheers:

Don.

I ordered a 1/350 Hobby Boss type IX C Uboat and a 1/350 AFV Type XXI Uboat plus some references, decals (flags), and PE. So once it arrives I will patiently wait for the GB start date.

:cheers:/>

Don.

Nice, are you going to do a full hull, or a diorama?