1/32 Lunar Module - at long last

An early X-mas present for myself.

So I decided to start buying the parts to build a 1/32 LM designed by Vincent Meens.  The first wave of ordering I purchased decent stage heat shield, the outriggers, ALSEP, descent engine nozzle and the other various descent stage details.  Next order will be the remainder descent stage parts … the main struts, pads , cross-bracing.  After that, I'll just buy the ascent stuff as it becomes available.  The strange and sorta serendipitous thing is Shapeways, where the parts are printed, is only 15 miles or so from Bethpage, NY where the original LMs were constructed.  Pretty neat.

DSC01312.jpg

The porch. This is the first bag I opened and wow ... it looks just amazing. Vincent really did a great job.

DSC01313.jpg

The landing radar and shield.

DSC01318.jpg

The out-riggers. Very, very nice.

DSC01319.jpg

ALSEP

DSC01320.jpg

Ascent stage attachments, antenna and helium tank details.

DSC01323.jpg

DSC01321.jpg

Heat-shield. Let me tell you "Strong White Flexible" is some strange stuff. It's really grainy.

I've also picked-up kapton tape and a gold emergency blanket from Amazon.  I also have samples of various thicknesses of polyimide film I sourced from DuPont when I was attempting this project before.

Speaking of that’s fiasco, here are a few pictures from my first attempt to build a LM at 1/32 scale. I used Vincent's 1/24 drawings as a basis. After I'd completed the main structure of the descent and part of the ascent stage I found that I had printed the patterns about 5% larger than I had intended.  A bit of a bummer … so out of disgust I shelved the project and considered it a hard  lesson learned.  Now I always measure twice … most of the time.

DSC01327.jpg

DSC01328.jpg

The start of descent and ascent stages.

DSC01326.jpg

The descent stage heat shield with embossed details … all for naught.

Hey, John, those are very beautiful 3D prints!!! :thumbsup2: The close-up shots of the FUD parts look terrific!!! Sorry to hear about your scratchbuilt structures not in the proper scale -- but I have to admit they look awesome! They're really not for nothing -- they're still good for a separate not-to-scale buildup, something I really wouldn't mind displaying! :)

Keep us posted on this build ... I've been hemming and hawing, trying to rationalize buying this 1/32 ... plus I've got 3 more 1/48's to do too.

And your close-up pix make this look great! The detail on the Porch and the delicate Landing Radar Shield ... Ooo-o-o-oh baybee ... those are nice!

For the Legs, will you use Vincent's ( will they be strong enuff ) or build your own, outta Brass fer instance?

Your past build was, as crackerjazz said, NOT a waste ... nothing wrong with an outta scale LM! But, I do understand ... but what you learned will pay off in spades on this Mr Meens build.

Man, he does nice work!

Thanx fer posting this John ... I can't wait to see this build progress! :woot.gif:

Pete

Same here, Pete. I was really hoping the Revell 1/32 kit (http://ideas.revell.de/en/ideas/item/485/) would make it to production, but there's nothing on the horizon about it, unfortunately. But, of course, Vincent's expertise on the LM and his eye for exacting detail can't be beat -- so it's still the dream-come-true 1/32nd scale LM model we've been waiting for for so long.

Take a metal brush or other hard-bristle brush to the WSF material, then sand it as best you can. You can remove some of the graininess, but not much. After sanding and cleaning, seal them with something and let dry before attempting to paint. I used Future, but ya know, it's a bit wet and sticky so I'm guessing there is a better sealant product for WSF that would work better. The idea is seal the sponge-like WSF material so that it absorbs less paint. After a couple of coats of primer, you should be able to gently sand WSF to a smooth finish.

Spent the evening re-drawing Vincent's descent stage patterns and running them through my Silhouette cutter. (They weren’t in vector.) Tonight I’ll start cutting the pile of scored plastic on my work bench and begin putting together my descent stage.

I am a little hesitant about the weight of the model and the legs ability to hold up everything. Right now, at this stage, I’m optimistic that they will be ok. … the out-riggers, in FUD, seem pretty sturdy.

Honestly the Educraft kit really kind of rekindled my interest in a building a 1/32 LM, I just couldn’t see cutting and gluing paper … I’m a plastic guy. :woot.gif: But, on the other hand, it would have been WAAAAY cheaper.

I've been using filler from a spray can on my WSF parts. Simple stuff from the home improvement store will do.

I tried using Future to saturate the pores, but after several dips I hadn't made much progress, it seemed, so I stopped that and went straight to primer.

I wouldn't use a wire brush. WSF is a sintered powder: if you remove a grain, you just expose another that's just as rough. In my experience, coarse sandpaper would just leave big gouges in the WSF making it harder to get a smooth surface.

The quickest way to a smooth finish is to just wet-sand the parts once, and then start spraying the filler on.

I concur, building up the surface to the level of the bumpyness is the best way to get smooth. I used a combination of Tamiya surface primer and then Krylon to get parts relatively smooth. It's best to not use WSF on anything that needs to be smooth. But I know those parts would be astronomical in FUD and since they are covered, I don't think any finishing will be required. The engine bell however will. I haven't tried any kind of putty on the WSF parts but that might be an option as well. Maybe thinned putty sanded smooth?

Bill

Edited by niart17

So I decided to start buying the parts to build a 1/32 LM designed by Vincent Meens.

John,

Looking at your stuff reminds me how tempted I am to do this, but I'd REALLY like to do it in 1/24th to go with the 1/24th CM that I don't have, and with the 1/24th Mercury that I don't have... :bandhead2:/> Since the 1/24th Gemini appeared I want them ALL in that size, so I DO have a 1/24th Gemini and a 1/24th Agena.

But, every time I start to add up the prices I feel a little faint... If you don't mind saying, how much do you figure it will cost to build this 1/32 LM?

Is anyone aware of a 1/24th Mercury (not paper!) that someone has built, that has GOOD LOOKING shingles? The rest of the spacecraft would be easy enough. Is Shapeways the place to go for the SHINGLES, or is there a better alternative?

Thanks!

Tom

Got the second order from Shapeways. This round includes the ladder, plume deflectors, and the landing pads.

DSC01337.jpg

The ladder looks great … slightly warped, but that will straighten itself once it's mounted to the main strut.

DSC01334.jpg

Landing pads. Should look awesome once I get them covered.

DSC01339.jpg

Now, the plume deflectors … I was a little apprehensive when I was ordering them because of the support rods, they're really thin. Well, as it turns out, they're crazy thin.

DSC01342.jpg

It's not a huge problem as the actual deflector part is spot -on beautiful, but If I can't get the printed rods to work I'll just built up the support frames with styrene and add the plumes to that.

The descent stage is coming together. The patterns Vincent provides are spot-on. Everything fit together really nicely.

DSC01349.jpg

DSC01352.jpg

DSC01353.jpg

Exactly Hot Dog! It IS a 3D printed kit. I hadn't thought of it that way

Finished up the main part of the descent stage structure. Again, no problems what so ever, it went together with minimal fiddling. I also added the ALSEP, S-band cover and Helium octagonal bump. Currently just trying to tie-down a few details and I'll start affixing the outriggers and begin to cover this thing with film.

DSC01354.jpg

DSC01355.jpg

DSC01360-1.jpg

DSC01361.jpg

Should have a third order arriving this evening … more Christmas for me.

Love it ... love It ... LOVE IT!! :yahoo:

Those delicate parts are most impressive!

John, were the Descent Stage parts cut out on your cutting machine? And I noticed the little holes in the footpads for the Landing Probes ... such nice detail ...

And at 1/32, the Descent Stage is how wide?

Thanx for posting this!

Pete

Thanks Pete,

I scored the sheet with the cutter, then cut out the parts by hand. The sheet is 1mm thick so there's no way in heck that thing was going to make a clean cut without destroying the machine. :lol:

It’s about 5 inches wide and about 2.5 inches tall. It’s pretty big … but not too big.

So far it’s been a total joy to throw together, and the parts are top notch. For me it’s a total justification for spending the extra cash. I look at it like, it would take me 3+ hours to produce a part like this, and it’s only 20 bucks? SOLD, send it to me now!

Very Nice! It looks like he put a lot of thought into what materials to offer the different pieces based on how they'll be finished in order to minimize the costs. Still, I can only imagine how much this thing will be once all said and done. I can't wait to see it finished!

Bill

Glad to see your work John.I should start assembling the ascent stage during Xmas holidays and add some instructions on my web site.

Replying to Pete's question on the main struts for the landing gear, my descent stage has been on its legs for a few months now without any problem. I am on the plane back home, time to switch off this phone and continue working on the ascent stage.

Cheers - Vincent