1/32 Lunar Module - at long last

Hey Geno, did you clean your parts by chance? I used Bestine rubber cement thinner (heptane) to clean off the wax and I'm wondering if that makes the parts a little more brittle.

Oh and Dupont came through with the 2mil Kapton samples! Johnny is a happy lad.

unnamed_1.jpg

Edited by johnlove_mk_II
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Restart

After seeing the ascent stage parts Crackerjazz purchased, it got me to thinking of my project so I decided to pull out the assemblies and have a look. Being the impressionable lad that I am, I thought I might take this project back up for a while. So I dropped some change and purchased the main ascent stage parts. (Nothing says commitment like spending $150 bucks on more parts.) The great news is they actually shipped out yesterday, so I should have them in hand soon.

Descent Stage Kapton - Mark II

The 5mil kapton, that I applied earlier, I just couldn't get it to look like I wanted. It was peeling and popping off, just too stiff for the scale … so I stripped it all and started again.

This time, I took one of the dark orange mylar balloons and layered it with piece of half mil kapton. The color looks great and its far more flexible. I also made the bottom 5mil blanket one contiguous piece, to simplify installation. That goes on tonight, hopefully without too much issue.

IMG_0247.jpg

• 2 years later...

Went to storage last week and brought this little guy home.  I always just go there to quickly drop off boxes, but always manage to rummage around in all my "cool" stuff rekindle inspiration. So now, I guess I'll be working on this for a little while. 

IMG_0108.JPG

5mil Descent Stage Kapton - Mark III

Earlier I had recreated 5mil kapton by using a dark orange mylar balloon and adding a layer of half mil kapton. The color seems to match pretty well and its far more flexible than actual 5mil kapton. The second iteration (see previous post) was just a octagon cut slightly larger than needed to help facilitate the proper wrinkling effect.  It looked good, it just didn't fit quite right.  I revised the template and now have this.

IMG_0122.jpg

I'm going to experiment with some different adhesives before I install.  I also think that I'd like to get the other vertical and top areas figured out be for I start installing ... you know, do it all at the same time.

IMG_0126.jpg

Tiny rivets.

Thinking that I've found the material I'm going to use to represent the ascent stage covering.  K&S metals sells a rolls of .005" aluminum sheet that is think enough to handle embossing rivet details with my Rivet Master set, but not too thick as to appear off scale.

IMG_0127.JPG

Rivet Master from UMM-USA. (Swiss made!)

IMG_0128.JPG

Many sizes to satiate one’s retentive nature.