1/32 EA-18G VAQ-132 Operation Odyssey Dawn

Thx guys!

Pods look great Marcel!

Data stencils are from your decal set? or from kit?

Anthony, the gray stencils come with the kit, nicely done by Trumpeter. The black lettering on the grill sections were done as described above.

:cheers:

Marcel

I used Harold's AGM-88s, they are a very big improvement on both the Tamiya and Revell Harms.Decals are from Two Bobs.

DSC_0870%205_zpsiuvgsctz.jpg

I used about a 50/50 mix of Promodeller's "Gray" and "Light" washes. That amounts to a very light wash but it looks appropriate, I think.

DSC_0871%204_zpsbserfv8s.jpg

DSC_0872%205_zpsge4bdbjo.jpg

Also finished are the AIM-120Cs. A while ago I purchased a bunch of Cutting Edge AIM-120s off of Ebay, which was well worth it. The thin wings of the Cutting Edge missiles look so much better than what you get with any of the kit AIM-120s.

DSC_0874%204_zpsjoa4wlra.jpg

DSC_0873%205_zps5hxcze60.jpg

DSC_0875%202_zpsv5hyvj0e.jpg

:cheers:/>

Marcel

Thx guys!

I thought I'd show a preview of my next build, which will be a VMFA-112 F-4S in the Heater/Ferris scheme. Have a look here. If anyone out there happens to know the serial number of this exact F-4, please do let me know. I have been trying to order a high-res image from Cloud 9 Photography but don't seem to have any luck with their website.

I'll be using the GT Resin F-4S conversion, cannot wait to get stuck into that build.

The VMFA-112 Heater/Ferris scheme is almost a mirror image of the scheme commonly seen on VF-301 F-4S's, although after countless hours of research I think the two darker shades are different (and different to what is usually stated).

The VMFA-212 F-4J project I started a while ago will now turn into this project... I will be using the LAU-10s and CBU's. If anyone wants to sell two Tamiya TERs, I'd be keen on buying those.

Marcel

...If anyone out there happens to know the serial number of this exact F-4, please do let me know. ...

Hi Marcel;

Here's a link to a Facebook site referencing VMFA-112's F4's - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151638227602150.1073741826.650607149&type=3&l=344b99aa97

The Phantom in your reference pic has Modex 03 on its nose. According to the Facebook site, Modex 03 belongs to F-4S BUNo 155527 (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151685615487150&set=a.10151638227602150.1073741826.650607149&type=3&l=344b99aa97&theater).

Hope this information helps.

John

Edited by JohnS

Marcel,

you might want to check your AIM-120s: Either the missile body is too long or the position of the rear fins is off. The rear edge of the fin is pretty much on the rear end of the body. Should be an easy fix.

Nice progress on your Growler and I love the scheme you chose for your F-4S.

Cheers,

Joerg

Thx Steve, thx John, you guys rock!

Marcel,

you might want to check your AIM-120s: Either the missile body is too long or the position of the rear fins is off. The rear edge of the fin is pretty much on the rear end of the body. Should be an easy fix.

Nice progress on your Growler and I love the scheme you chose for your F-4S.

Cheers,

Joerg

Looks like the Cutting Edge AIM-120s are off, great, I really don't want to be taking backward steps on this build :o But thx for the feedback, I'd hate to get that wrong on for example F-16 wingtip AIM-120s.

Marcel

• 1 month later...

Boy, it's been 1.5 months since I last posted an update, time flies!

I finally have the gear on the Growler, which is a major milestone for me, doing the undercarriage and wheel wells is always my least favorite part of a build.

First off, some gear WIP pics:

DSC_0415_zpskc9hhc2g.jpg

DSC_0418_zpshqwl6lkw.jpg

The Trumpeter gear is very nice and sturdy, this is one aspect where the Trumpeter kit is better than the Academy legacy Hornet kit. The attitude of the aircraft is also spot-on, unlike the Academy Hornet, which sits a little low at the back unless that part of the build is fixed.

DSC_0414_zpsfd5y7taz.jpg

DSC_0420_zps88gva2nc.jpg

I used the Northstar Models wheels, they are superb.

DSC_0412%202_zpsopkpxwqk.jpg

DSC_0416%202_zpsai2da7yv.jpg

BTW this is how those lights I fashioned from colored Perspex turned out:

DSC_0424_zpsim3m4zdn.jpg

Overall pic... I just love the finish I ended up with.

DSC_0425_zpsc6obyjap.jpg

Marcel

Great work as usual Marcel, the gear looks really good, the colored lights are a excellent touch and, the overall finish looks amazing. Another masterpiece for your display cabinet. The homestretch is in sight.

Steve

Thx guys!

I used Tamiya white.

Marcel

Oh no! I hate to tell you this, but HARMs aren't white. They are a light gray. I doubt many people will really even realize it though. They look fantastic, as does the rest of the model. I always enjoy your builds Marcel.