1/32 EA-18G VAQ-132 Operation Odyssey Dawn

Thx guys!

Regarding the color of the AGM-88's, they just look white to my eye... or at least so close to white that the difference is negligible (which is why most people incl. me evidently think they are white):

http://olive-drab.com/images/id_aviation_weapons_agm88_02_700.jpg

On the below two pics you can see that some sections are bright white while others are slightly off-white:

Off-white nose tip:

http://theaviationist.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/crw_1164.jpg

Bright white center section and rear wings, rest is off-white:

http://olive-drab.com/images/id_aviation_weapons_agm88_03_700.jpg

So it is probably fine to do them white or slightly off-white. Here is a pic of the exact jet I am doing, and the Harms look white (unless the undercarriage legs and inside gear doors are light gray <_< :

http://s182.photobucket.com/user/zerofive_05/media/Immagine018-1.jpg.html

Finally, the gray wash I gave my AGM-88's will have turned them somewhat off-white, so given all of the above I am calling my AGM-88 color spot-on :coolio:

:cheers:

Marcel

Those are very good pics of the HARM. Marcel, do you have a list of reference pages to find info online, or do you just "search engine" it?

Thx... Jman, those pics are from a Google image search.

Here is what she looks like with things hanging under wings:

DSC_0414%202_zpsi86pfn84.jpg

DSC_0415%203_zpslgmahldl.jpg

DSC_0416_zpssd7ubzdk.jpg

:cheers:/>

Marcel

Thats a lot of HARMs that are painted the wrong color!

There are, indeed, quite a lot of model HARMs painted the wrong color.

Modern AGM-88s are not white. It is very subtle, but they definitely are not white. Marcel, I think the light gray wash was just enough to make yours look perfect.

Edited by jmel

There are, indeed, quite a lot of model HARMs painted the wrong color.

Modern AGM-88s are not white. It is very subtle, but they definitely are not white. Marcel, I think the light gray wash was just enough to make yours look perfect.

I concur.

Thx Jman. Jake, Harold, glad the AGM-88's look the part to you guys.

The Aires seats are done:

DSC_0412_zpsealz6trr.jpg

The resin is nicely done and very easy to work with.

Here are the seats test-fitted in the cockpit. The rear IP is also just test-fitted at this stage, I need to still add a few details to the cockpit.

DSC_0420%202_zpsryxxernp.jpg

I have spent much of the day adding odds and ends to the area behind the rear seat. Also added some wires and canopy locks on the sills.

DSC_0421_zpsy641lhmf.jpg

Marcel

Thx guys!

Greywolf, I have had enough of seats for quite a while... I actually did the sears of my next project, an F-4S, with my Chico build already so by the time I need to do a seat again I won't know how.

Quick question to throw out there: Does the Growler have the Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System in the back also?

Thx,

Marcel

Very inspiring model, as usual Marcel. Love the mesh work. (Still figuring put how to get that Eduard Typhoon PE intake splitter plate - looks so much better - to reasonably co-exist with the Revell kit part: but no matter, unless ... you have any extra tips?).

My file records show your F-4S of interest - in fact most of the squadron - but only in variously dilapidated shades of TPS greys from 1986 - 1991, except for 155555 MA-05 in June '85 which shows the port side of the H-F pattern. As it's not my photo and I've lost the photo credit, PM me with your email and I'll forward it to you if you don't already have it. That said - you're sure that a VF-301 scheme (verifiable from 4 directional- views top, bottom and sides) wouldn't be a better reference source?

In any event, I'm sure whatever 'plane you choose, you'll knock it outta the park again.

Edited by chek

Thx Chek!

For the Typhoon intake mesh, my only advice is to use a brand new blade when cutting the Eduard mesh to fit the intake... and make sure the first cut is perfect, since you don't get a second chance.

For the F-4S, I'll PM you.

The reason for going for a VMFA-112 jet is that first of all I want to load it up with some serious AG loadout, VF-301 seems to pretty much never have carried AG while there are some nice pics out there of late-life VMFA-112 F-4S's heading to the range with live bombs. I also prefer the mirrored Heater-Ferris scheme that VMFA-112 had (same as VF-302), the darker of the blue/grey colors are relatively darker (FS35164 & FS35109) so that the scheme is in my opinion even nicer. I think I have the project pretty much under control at this point, just need to have the custom decals made.

Marcel

Thx Chuck! Yes, cannot wait to move on to the next project now.

How do you think this Super Hornet compares to your awesome F/A-18D?

The Growler will be the better model, because I added more detail to the cockpit on this build and the stance of the model is 100% spot on. I also just like the finish on the model, it looks absolutely real (probably not captured that well on photography).

I have complained quite a bit about this Trumpeter kit (as we both do about TRumpeter kits <_< ), but three things that Trumpeter has done well are (1) Good shape accuracy (2) Nice panel lines and (3) Really sturdy landing gear that results in a perfect model stance when completed (a major weakness of the Academy kit). It's taken a huge amount of work to get this far, I'd like to do a F/A-18E at some point but cannot see myself doing another Trumpeter Super kit, I really hope the forthcoming Revell 1/32 F/A-18E will be to the standard that Revell used to make kits (and not like the horrible EF-2000).

Anyhow, next up with be that Heater-Ferris F-4S :woo:

Marcel

• 2 weeks later...

And here she is. Apologies for not showing the final steps, I just wanted to get 'er done at this point. Also, I'll be taking better pics once it gets warmer outside, I like to take outside-lighting photos but if I take the model outside right now all the etch pieces will jump off.

DSC_0013_zpsqqdgfx5m.jpg

DSC_0002_zpsccd8ovu1.jpg

DSC_0007_zpszci9yynz.jpg

DSC_0008_zpsmuwed4vz.jpg

DSC_0005_zpsanswiy4i.jpg

DSC_0003_zpsxzndbpcb.jpg

DSC_0017_zpsrrpk2amn.jpg