1/32 EA-18G VAQ-132 Operation Odyssey Dawn

These photos are part of a detailed series of walk around pic's @ http://www.vaq136.co...sse4/ea18g.html

John

John, that link is really a huge help!

Anybody have any idea on how to recreate these ribs on the ALQ-99 (I'm assuming they are heat sinks of some sort?): pic

Maybe some kind of appropriately textured plastic sheet? I did a search but couldn't come up with anything.

:cheers:

Marcel

Maybe some Evergreen Freight Car Siding would work:

http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/sheets.htm

Jari

I was thinking the same thing. Those ribs/fins on the ALQ-99 are really tiny in 1/32 scale.

ALQ-99 Fins

A couple of other thoughts would be to scribe the fins on Evergreen plastic sheet, or using Evergreen angle material & gluing them side by side. Both would be very work intensive. :bandhead2:

Hi, Marcel. I can confirm from my pics that the bypass vent part in question should be vertical. I really like what you've done with that area. It looks worlds better than the kit equivalent.

If you find a solution to the ALQ-99 fins, please let me know. I have a half-built Growler in my stash, but the ECM pods stopped me dead in my tracks.

Jake

Maybe some Evergreen Freight Car Siding would work:

http://www.evergreen....com/sheets.htm

Jari

Perfect! Big thanks for that.

A couple of other thoughts would be to scribe the fins on Evergreen plastic sheet, or using Evergreen angle material & gluing them side by side. Both would be very work intensive.

I like the angle idea... but probably too large. Also, I'd rather go for clean, consistent but not totally accurate than going for total accuracy but ending up with an inconsistent mess.

Hi, Marcel. I can confirm from my pics that the bypass vent part in question should be vertical. I really like what you've done with that area. It looks worlds better than the kit equivalent.

If you find a solution to the ALQ-99 fins, please let me know. I have a half-built Growler in my stash, but the ECM pods stopped me dead in my tracks.

Jake

Thx Jake. Yeah, I will be posting the solution here. I will order a variety from Evergreen, the V-groove siding also looks promising.

Marcel

Thx Jake. Yeah, I will be posting the solution here. I will order a variety from Evergreen, the V-groove siding also looks promising.

Marcel

Looking at the side cooling fins, they appear to be about 8" high or so and there are about 36 fins. That's about 205 mm, so each fin is 5.7 mm apart. At 1/32 scale, that's 0.18 mm apart, so there's no way you're going to be able to get an exact scale match. Rather than try to replicate tiny little fins with styrene, maybe many slices with a #11 knife into a piece of styrene might capture the look? Just a thought.

Looking at the side cooling fins, they appear to be about 8" high or so and there are about 36 fins. That's about 205 mm, so each fin is 5.7 mm apart. At 1/32 scale, that's 0.18 mm apart, so there's no way you're going to be able to get an exact scale match. Rather than try to replicate tiny little fins with styrene, maybe many slices with a #11 knife into a piece of styrene might capture the look? Just a thought.

I think it's impossible to do by hand. Based on memory (on vacation in Charmonix right now but not much snow around), those panels are about 5mm high so to capture 36 ribs I would have to consistently slice 36 lines 0.14mm apart (our dimension guesses are pretty close ;) ). I'll see what that evergreen looks like when I get it.

Marcel

It looks like those AlQ-99 'fins' are the transmitters:

http://www.pauls-page.com/Ea6-b2.gif

or at least the transmitters are behind them as you notice the different numbers on the fore and aft ones. Anyway about the only other option to replicate them would be to stagger stack thin plastic, or other material to get the effect. Of course with 2 per side per pod that's alot of work. Here are a couple more ALQ-99 pics:

https://turnnburn.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/img_3685.jpg

http://www.candiler.com.tr/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Ram_AN7ALQ-99.jpg

Jari

Marcel,

Just found your build blog, and I'm coming along for the ride. While I don't build in 1/32 scale, there is still plenty to learn from your technics.

Joel

Thx Joel!

It looks like those AlQ-99 'fins' are the transmitters:

http://www.pauls-page.com/Ea6-b2.gif

or at least the transmitters are behind them as you notice the different numbers on the fore and aft ones. Anyway about the only other option to replicate them would be to stagger stack thin plastic, or other material to get the effect. Of course with 2 per side per pod that's alot of work. Here are a couple more ALQ-99 pics:

https://turnnburn.fi...08/img_3685.jpg

http://www.candiler....m_AN7ALQ-99.jpg

Jari

Thx Jari! As far as staggering thin sheets, that would be really challenging since the depth of that panel is so small. Even stacking to thicker depth and then sanding would be really tough I think.

I have a half-built Growler in my stash, but the ECM pods stopped me dead in my tracks.

Jake

Jake, I now REALLY know what you mean!

Reality

Trumpeter's version:

DSC_0837_zps9f714e2c.jpg

DSC_0836_zps111cf8df.jpg

I have a plan for addressing this, I'll let you guys know how things work out.

BTW, does anybody know what is up with the "squashed" version of the ALQ-99 that Trumpeter supplies as an alternative to the "standard" ALQ-99s? All the pics I have show Growler's with the "standard" ALQ-99s. Seems like the squashed ALQ-99s are only used on the centerline on EA-6s and not EA-18s?

Here is how the bypass vents look now:

DSC_0833_zps33b85cde.jpg

The intakes:

DSC_0833_zps33b85cde.jpg

I elected not to get the Rhino resin intakes, since that guy seems dodgy. Plus, the Rhino intakes seem to require major work to fit so I figured I may as well go old school. It is fairly tedious work getting these to be smooth on the inside but I am well on my way.

:cheers:/>/>

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111
I might be wrong, but doesn't Eduard make a PE set for the EA-18G that includes etched panels for the heat-sinks on the jamming pods ?

http://www.eduard.co...ament-1-32.html

Keith

Err well ahem ... Keith, you are absolutely right! Can't believe I hadn't noticed that before, that should simplify things a lot.

Now here is something that has worked out quite nicely. Background: I followed Chuck's sound advice and bought a UMM punch and die set... and was able to put it to instant use :woo:

There are some circular vents behind the ECS stacks. Trumpeter has placed the vent too far back, plus it should also be covered by mesh. I was able to punch out two nice circular pieces of mesh (2.5mm diameter). I drilled a hole at a slightly smaller diameter (2mm), then drilled a seat at just about the diameter of the mesh pieces (2.6mm). So the mesh sits nice and snug and flush:

DSC_0832_zpsbcb0f879.jpg

Marcel

Thx Joel!

Thx Jari! As far as staggering thin sheets, that would be really challenging since the depth of that panel is so small. Even stacking to thicker depth and then sanding would be really tough I think.

Jake, I now REALLY know what you mean!

Reality

Trumpeter's version:

DSC_0837_zps9f714e2c.jpg

DSC_0836_zps111cf8df.jpg

I have a plan for addressing this, I'll let you guys know how things work out.

BTW, does anybody know what is up with the "squashed" version of the ALQ-99 that Trumpeter supplies as an alternative to the "standard" ALQ-99s? All the pics I have show Growler's with the "standard" ALQ-99s. Seems like the squashed ALQ-99s are only used on the centerline on EA-6s and not EA-18s?

Here is how the bypass vents look now:

DSC_0833_zps33b85cde.jpg

The intakes:

Marcel

I started the ALQ-99s but was toasted in an oven while curing the mold. It was a basic shape to start refining later. The white mess is an IP for the A-10C that melted as well.

Color_zpsc9feed26.jpg

Edited by Harold
I started the ALQ-99s but was toasted in an oven while curing the mold. It was a basic shape to start refining later. The white mess is an IP for the A-10C that melted as well.

Harold, looking forward to receiving your start in the mail... hopefully I can start where you left off.

Boy, the scope of this build keeps expanding :o

Marcel

Here's some progress on the cockpit. The only game in town for updating the kit cockpit (and it does need updating) is the Eduard color photo etch. Ordinarily I wouldn't go this way because the effort to get it to look good is huge.

I have made little switches from stretched sprue and glued onto the photo etch to give the whole thing a more realistic 3-D look. Also, I painted the plain light gray and dark gray/black panels on the photo etch with the colors I am using to paint the rest of the cockpit to make everything blend together.

DSC_0834-Kopie_zps860e6815.jpg

Trumpeter doesn't supply a throttle (oops) so I used a spare from the Academy Hornet kit, the Super and the legacy throttles look about the same to my eye.

Quickboost makes a very nice and inexpensive control stick for the Super/Growler. I bought three of these, two of which I used in the rear pit. They were modified with the requisite hand rests and the left hand stick had the thumb switch moved to the right.

DSC_08352_zps6ac50f41.jpg

I will apply a very light wash and then satin coat, that will make things really blend together such that the somewhat off Eduard colors will no longer be apparent.

DSC_08332_zpse67ccdc6.jpg

Now to the bad. Turns out the wingtip ECM pods are also pretty off. The front and back end shape is off to my eye, the inside little intake as well as the top vents are missing. Also, the positioning is way, way off, but that is very easy to correct. Here is where I am with correcting all of that:

DSC_08312_zpsda05ce36.jpg

I sunk some red and blue clear acrylic into the LEX surfaces. These will eventually be masked accordingly so as to form the corresponding lights on the real thing. I glued some AL foil below the clear plastic to make them shine a little.

DSC_0830_zpsd0fd89bd.jpg

:cheers:/>/>

Marcel

Thx guys!

Hi Marcel, nice work so far don't forget the handle between the front and rear cockpits:

http://www.navy.mil/...N-IC545-225.JPG

Jari

Jari, love that pic, especially the backseater's call sign "Frau"... had a good laugh about that with my wife. And yea, I will need to remember that handle.

Marcel,

Nice work with the little details in the cockpit. Looking forward to seeing how you handle those two ECM pods.

Joel

Thx Joel. If anybody had good top-view pics of those, that would be much appreciated.

Speaking of ECM pods, I have received Harold's ALQ-99 work-in-progress and it is really nice, Harold did the ALQ-99 from scratch i.e. not based on the Trumpeter rendition. As such, they look spot-on in shape. I have started work on those already, will try to post pics asap. The plan with these will be the same as with the CBU's on my Chico build, once me and all you guys following this thread are happy with the ALQ-99, I will get the master over to Harold so that these should then ultimately be available to everyone (produced by Harold's AMS resin).

One question. What are you going to do about the aft cockpit MFDs? The Eduard set is for -E one seat jet right?

Eduard does produce a Growler set, which I am using.

Marcel

• 3 weeks later...

Here is where I am with the ALQ-99. Reminder: Harold sent me his ALQ-99 work-in-progress, he built the shape of the pod from scratch i.e. he didn't use the Trumpeter pod at all since the Trumpeter pod is so wrong. I think Harold really nailed the overall shape. It's up to me to add the turbine as well as all the detail.

Here is how far I have come with the turbine:

DSC_08292_zpse3eed62d.jpg

The idea is that the blades will be molded individually, so hopefully Harold will have no probs making copies of that blade. Blades should then be glued into the spinner, which then fits into the front of the pod.

This is how the front section will look assembled... picture four blades.

DSC_08313_zps79ee2e30.jpg

Overall shape:

DSC_08322_zpscd9dba4b.jpg

If you are familiar with the Trumpeter ALQ-99, you'll appreciate how different this ALQ-99 looks.

DSC_08333_zps5416dc04.jpg

Here is my work on the ALQ-218 wingtip pods. The undercut transition to the front and rear has been eliminated. Also note the addition of the little inlet on the inside of the pod.

DSC_0837_zpsfe5dc0c5.jpg

DSC_0834_zpsaa65e8cd.jpg

To round off this update, here is a pic of the upper fuselarge/wing structure. The unaltered, the fuselarge/wing fit is poor, but with some minor removal of plastic here and there, as really clean fit can be achieved.

DSC_0838_zpsf6545f7e.jpg

Marcel

Ah Marcel

Those ECM pods look the business :thumbsup:/> ! Makes me want to start one of these birds myself :wacko:/> But I'll wait to see just how far this build of yours goes so I know the full story on just how much work this kit will be. Thanks for letting us follow along, I have always enjoyed your builds.

Sincrely

Anthony