New 1/48 F/A-18C/D updates

It looks great.

But, what is the method/glue you use to get the photo etch to set that nice on the plastic?

Thanks in advance.

Juan

There are some different techniques. Before gluing you need to form the detail exactly to confirm shape of plastic. Then you can use some drops of Microscale Micro liquid Tape for precise positioning of detail. Finaly, apply small drops of super liquid CA glue along the edge of detail to get strong joint.

That does look extremely nice. But I too wonder how you would apply a large single PE part like the one on the lower forward fuselage area and not be able to see the step where it sits on top of the plastic, where in reality it should replace that particular fuselage panel, i.e. it would need to "sink in". But I will check it out.

Will you produce your Chaff/Flare buckets again? They show as being out of stock...

Cheers

Jeffrey

That does look extremely nice. But I too wonder how you would apply a large single PE part like the one on the lower forward fuselage area and not be able to see the step where it sits on top of the plastic, where in reality it should replace that particular fuselage panel, i.e. it would need to "sink in". But I will check it out.

Will you produce your Chaff/Flare buckets again? They show as being out of stock...

Cheers

Jeffrey

The instruction sheet mentions the need to "deepen" or "remove' material on the kit parts to make the PE parts fit properly. Without seeing it first-hand, my initial thoughts about the large lower fuselage piece would be to use the kit part as a template to form the bend (after sanding off any raised detail) and then cutting away most of the plastic and using some mounting tabs and/or shims to get a flush fit with the PE part. Removing material from the surface of the kit part to get a large PE like that to fit flush & square would be a very challenging and time-consuming task. I've made miniature home-made "milling" fixtures to remove plastic from flat surfaces in the past but doing it evenly and accurately on a contoured part would be difficult.

Mark

Edited by redcorvette

Must have, must have! The Super Hornet 'mesh sets' are beautiful; I'm sure these are every bit as good.

As with any p/e panels, where they are 'stepless' on the real aircraft (like the Hornet gas vents, etc.) it is probably best to carefully cut out the plastic panel completely, clean up the surrounding edges and like Mark says use the plastic you removed as a backing for the etched part. That should get you a perfect shape and you can sink the panel into the fuselage until it is flush. Of course, perfectionists will want to remove the open sections behind the mesh/grill vents -bodgers like me will probably just paint those areas black!

Blah blah blabber; 'resting' F/A-18C project (Hobby Boss 1/48), open gun bay, etc.

Eduard etched vents backed with plastic strips:

P8120001.jpg

Still some work for Mr Surfacer:

P8220001.jpg

Inside -still lots to add:

P8240001.jpg

Could REALLY have used the AMUR stuff here! There will be many other times... :rolleyes:

Edited by ChippyWho

The instruction sheet mentions the need to "deepen" or "remove' material on the kit parts to make the PE parts fit properly. Without seeing it first-hand, my initial thoughts about the large lower fuselage piece would be to use the kit part as a template to form the bend (after sanding off any raised detail) and then cutting away most of the plastic and using some mounting tabs and/or shims to get a flush fit with the PE part. Removing material from the surface of the kit part to get a large PE like that to fit flush & square would be a very challenging and time-consuming task. I've made miniature home-made "milling" fixtures to remove plastic from flat surfaces in the past but doing it evenly and accurately on a contoured part would be difficult.

Mark

Hi Mark.

The details have thikness only 0,05mm. They are extremely thin, but very strong, as they made of stainless steel. It's not necessary to carve plastic in some places at all - jus put metal part over. I think, that couple of primer layers will be enough to level-off the surface.

To get perfect round shape of large details you can put the detail on hard rubber pad and roll inner surface with smooth metal roller or cylinder using good pressure.

There is also good tool for PE parts from Small Shop, as perfect as their other cool tools for PE.

Edited by Alex Matvey

Cheers

Jeffrey

Hi, Jeffrey.

Chaff/flares will be in stock soon, but made using other technology. They will be much easier to handle with. :)

Hi Mark.

The details have thikness only 0,05mm. They are extremely thin, but very strong, as they made of stainless steel. It's not necessary to carve plastic in some places at all - jus put metal part over. I think, that couple of primer layers will be enough to level-off the surface.

To get perfect round shape of large details you can put the detail on hard rubber pad and roll inner surface with smooth metal roller or cylinder using good pressure.

There is also good tool for PE parts from Small Shop, as perfect as their other cool tools for PE.

Thanks, Alex.

Mark

Hmm, I went on the eBay site, ready to place an order. On the front page of the site it says shipping is $6 for the first item, plus $1 for each additional item. However, when you get to the checkout page, it says $6 each. :(

Just place sets in basket and request invoice for combining shipping for low price (6 USD for 1-6 sets)

For anyone else ordering, I think what Rust is referring to is on the page where you view your shopping cart, there is a small icon above your list of items that says "Message". I saw it just after I hit the PayPal icon. :bandhead2:/> Thankfully, the guys at AMUR quickly made the price adjustment, so it all ended well! :)

Edited by mrvark
  • 1 month later...