Bf109 1/48 kits question

I am sure this has been covered on this forum before, but who makes the best 1/48 Bf109G-4, Bf109G-10 & Bf109F-4 kits, straight out of the box? I don't want to (and can't afford to) add a ton of aftermarket (and a bunch more work), just to make an "almost right" kit into a correct kit. That being said, I don't have a problem with rescribing raised panel lines.

I have some Owl Decals coming from Hannants, for a Bf109G-4/R3, Bf109G-10/R2 & Bf109F-4/R3.

I will probably go with the ICM 1/49 Bf109F-4/R3, since it already has the proper mods. Now I just need the find the G-4 & G-10 kits.

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak

Out of the box G-10 = Hasegawa or Revell, G-4 = Hasegawa, F-4 = Zvezda, Hasegawa or ICM. I haven't seen ICM 109 in person, so I don't know if it has camera bits. RB50 camera housing is available separately, I think I have 2 different ones at home (resin). I can check if you're interested.

Ditto on Zvezda for the F, but it's a more involved build than Hasegawa. For easy builds, Hasegawa also does the G-4 and G-10. Fujimi also makes a G-10/R2 straight oob. It's a little fiddlier the Hasegawa but not bad, and you get the recce parts in the box. Check Hyperscale's gallery for some builds.

This is the Hasegawa F-4 I did as Franz Stigler's mount.

IMG_2650.jpg

Edited by jbryan911

Out of the box G-10 = Hasegawa or Revell, G-4 = Hasegawa, F-4 = Zvezda, Hasegawa or ICM. I haven't seen ICM 109 in person, so I don't know if it has camera bits. RB50 camera housing is available separately, I think I have 2 different ones at home (resin). I can check if you're interested.

Is the Revell G-10 a newer release, or an oldy-but-goody?

If you have any spare Bf109 camera housings, I'd be interested in trading for them or buying them. My FS/FT post is here:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=274275

Larry

The old Revell kit is in actuality, a pretty decent effort. I remember when it first came out, and we compared it with the drawings in John R beaman's book on late 109's, it was the first kits to really come very close to being accurate. Lamentably, it fails to provide the builder with deployable flaps or leading edge slats, all of which was usually in one state of deployment, or another. I always felt the canopy looked undersize, but that's to my eye. It's available cheaply enough, and if you just want a late war 109 to complete a collection, it will serve.

A picture on this thead got my attention. Franz Stigler's 109F is beautifully represented. I've wanted to model that airplane, and I have had zero luck finding a decal set for it. I suspect I don't know my way around the vendors and their catalogs well enough to locate the decals. Can the decal source and the attending catalog number be posted or pm'd to me? I'd be very grateful. Thanks!