So this is my first build WIP for a while, and this one is going to take a while. The kit it's self has over a thousand parts, plus I am using all the Eduard PE and the KA Models detail set, along with metal gun barrels, anchors, and props. I set a 1/48th Spitfire and some various other modeling implements next to it for scale. This ship is BIG!

imagejpg1.jpg

imagejpg2.jpg

imagejpg4.jpgimagejpg5.jpg

imagejpg3.jpg

That's all I have for right now, I'm still studying all the instructions and figuring out what bits from what PE set will be needed and what order I'm going to be doing this in. So far there are very few duplicates in PE, so this going to be highly detailed, and from looking at reference shots I have some opportunities to scratch build.

Thanks for looking,

Bill

Edited by rightwinger26

No photo update right now, I'm still working on cleaning the hull of molding marks. Nothing to bad at all really, just some raised seams, it's just a lot of hull to sand, and the only thing more boring than sanding, is looking at pictures of sanding! I do however have the deck fitted. I'll post pictures when I get the bilge keels, and bits for the prop in place.

Bill

A little progress, the sanding for the most part is complete on the hull, and I fitted the parts for the prop shaft. There is going to be some minor sanding as you can see, and the supports are not actually cemented in place yet, I need to paint the inside of them first. When I am done with that I can paint the anti-fouling, then add the metal props that I am replacing the kit parts with. After that, I will be replacing all the port holes, and grab irons. More to follow.

Bill

E6220D01-29B3-42D7-8E07-73F566F062E5.jpg

Edited by rightwinger26

Interesting.

I like your comment that you matched PE locations to the instructions first.

Those prop shaft housings are a detail that would be interesting to see your sand (fill too??) technique.

Looking forward to your posts.

Does it have ridges here and there on the hull that appear to be mold seams and break up the continuity of curves?

Rich

Interesting.

I like your comment that you matched PE locations to the instructions first.

Those prop shaft housings are a detail that would be interesting to see your sand (fill too??) technique.

Looking forward to your posts.

Does it have ridges here and there on the hull that appear to be mold seams and break up the continuity of curves?

Rich

Correct, small ridges that ran the length, I got them all cleaned up last night. I'll just be using green putty to fill the few very minor gaps, and the space in there is big enough, I can reach it all with a piece of sand paper on my fingertip. The bow might be tougher, there was a piece that had to be put on to complete the bow, although it fit very well and left no real gaps, it is going to be tricky to blend in and make look like all one piece, and it will be very obvious if it's not done right.

Bill

So to fill the minor seams on the bow, I sanded first with 320 grit sandpaper, and after the area was smooth, and the gap filled with plastic dust, I ran plastic weld over it, which soaked into the dust in the seam, making a paste that instantly filled it in. Along the tops on both sides, there is a slight step that is going to actually require putty.

E852A501-690F-4E51-B5A2-C39F6B865818.jpg

18450FA4-B51D-4536-BAFD-198DA024D547.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Bill

A little progress made. I have the step on the bow filled, sanded and smooth, and the bilge keels installed.

95A09288-294D-432D-B3B4-D1E8A49FAAC6.jpg

C04DC7AD-8207-41C2-806F-EED5E87F3C3B.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality of the last photo. I'm getting ready to go with the wife to dinner then see the holiday lights, but when I get home I plan on painting the inside of the prop shaft supports, and sanding off all the port holes and "ladder rungs" so I can add the PE.

Thanks for looking!

Bill

The seams are all filled on the hull, and everything is sanded down, including the crude surface detail that is going to be replaced by PE. The insides of the prop shaft supports are painted. So the next step is to put the ship in the bath tub, ( haven't done that since I was a kid :rolleyes: ) to clean the hull of all dust and other such things so I can start to paint. What need to do is scoure resources to finger out where the water line is at, of all the wonderful things this kit has, there are no markings where the boot line is supposed to be, oh well, such is life.

20737F6B-4A5E-429B-B0C4-5A1B493C43FF.jpg

4948EE31-4F4F-46D3-BB0C-A659F625D037.jpg

4B7DA715-0ED9-4830-A461-711932B39759.jpg

3E64B0A1-4F83-4CB2-A319-39B87AF5BAB9.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Bill

Bill, I had an opportunity to build this kit, and the one thing that still blows me away is the sheer size of this kit! Having seen this kit first hand, I didn't want to let it go, as I was always fascinated with the Bismarck. Unfortunately, an upcoming move caused my better - all be it less fun - judgement to step in, and wait out on buying this large kit. Oh, I'll be following this one closely! Thanks for sharing,

Mark.

Thanks a lot for looking Mark. There really isn't anything picture worthy, but progress has been made. I got the hull washed down tonight, so tomorrow I can break out my trusty ruler and felt tip, and start marking the boot line. Of course, due to AMS, I've discovered some scratch building I need to do. The kit, nor any of the aftermarket have parts for two of the gig booms aft, not a big deal, very easy to build. I'll post some pictures when I get some more done! Thanks for looking!

Bill

I got the boot line drawn on. After some research of my own and looking at what some others have done, I drew the top of the line 4.5 cm from the keel amidships, but three inches from the deck at the fantail. The reason for this is an incorrect shape aft, so the line would drop noticeably, but three cm from the deck, although it will a bit artistic, to the eye, it will make the line straight.

DDF4E3FB-2BC1-4E6C-9C3A-96154E700579.jpg

CF2AC1AB-0780-4166-98FA-9EE677B1E36F.jpg

4F0D7A26-AB96-4D1B-8F6A-D1E020290174.jpg

BAD91818-D97F-4702-B355-5D8AF350A332.jpg

Tomorrow on my way home from work, I'm going to pick up some Tamiya 4mm tape, mask, and start to paint. Normally, I preshade the hull with black blotches to make the anti-fouling look repainted and the grey look touched up the way they would be in the yards and due to normal life. But since Bismarck had a brief life, and limited time in the yards, I can't think the anti-fouling would look that beat up. More later, thanks for looking!

Bill

Edited by rightwinger26

The anti-fouling on the hull is painted, it only took a jar and a half of MM :woot.gif:/> I'm going to let that cure for about a day or two then mask so I can paint the grey on the upper half and start the camouflage markings. I'm painting her as she looked when she was being repainted on her way to Norway in the first stages of Operation Rheinubung. So she will still have the black and white Baltic markings on her hull, but not on the superstructure, the Swastikas will still be on the deck, but the red banners will be removed.

6A9A2958-3315-4B0A-AB54-F70ECD7BEEC7.jpg

22BB4912-66B5-41D9-A7EC-51406CE1000D.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Bill

Edited by rightwinger26

Thanks Mark. I got the gray sprayed on today, so after a day of curing, tomorrow, I'm going to try to get the dark gray on the bow and stern painted. I also primed the AM metal props today, but those won't be put on till all of the painting is done.

Some more progress made this afternoon. I've gotten the dark gray painted on the bow and fantail, and the boot line is done. I'm particularly proud of the boot, since unlike most kits, this one give you zero guidance as to where it should be, or how big. So I was apprehensive that it wouldn't be straight, or it would look "off", even after measuring again and again. In my opinion, it turned out fantastic. I'll give it a couple days to cure, then I will paint on the bow and stern waves, and the white portions of the camoflauge.

EECA062D-C6E0-43E8-8089-95319D1070AA.jpg

51A23662-D3E0-42BA-BE12-EE220EF48513.jpg

A0AD26C8-3B05-4984-B0CC-3C5362F6D61C.jpg

Sorry, I didn't realize just how poor those last two images were until I uploaded them, auto focus my a&$!! :rolleyes:

I expect to have the painting finished on the hull by Friday, then I can start adding the PE portholes and grab irons, more to follow!

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Drats! now it looks like I'm going have to save up and get this kit. She look awesome and will be following your progress with keen interest! I have the 1/200 Arizona to try and start on after I get done with a couple of group builds. Was there any hull dimensions that were off on her? I read that was a major problem with the Arizona.

Scott

I'm trying to get my hands on the Arizona, but everytime I have the money, nobody has it in stock. I've never done any measurements because it looks pretty good to me, but from what I've read on other build threads on other sites, the bottom of the stern is misshaped and requires surgery to fix........but for me, it looks good enough not to worry about it, besides, when its done, nobody is going to break out a ruler and inspect the bottom.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...