Academy / accurate minatures B-25

Gents, just starting this build, and have been looking at previous builds on line to get some tips. One issue that seems to recur is that the nose gear leg is fitted prior to closing up the fuselage halves, with all the attendant issues of breakage during painting etc.

During some initial test fitting, I tried to see if the nose leg can be left off until later, and my immediate impression is that it can be. It is a thin, quite flexible part that has no attaching parts other than the wheel, and the slot that it fits through does allow it to pass without breaking, although the attachment points will need a good dollop of cyano.

Has anyone else tried this with any success? I will probably go ahead with that way anyway, as my record for wiping out gear legs during painting is not good so I'd probably end up having to repair it anyway, so it is low risk. I'll put some extra styrene around the fixing points to make them more socket like.

Another point of note is that there are also two glass nose versions of the B-25 possible with this kit, all the parts, guns and what have you are all in the box. This wasn't obvious from the reviews, but it means I'll have another crack at one of these, maybe a Doolittle raid bird, or a more colourful plane if I can find suitable decals

• 2 weeks later...