External differences between AIM-9L and AIM-9M?

AIM-9 Lima and Mike have a stenciling applied to the seeker section, indicating both version and configuration of the missile, eg. "9M-9". "9M" = AIM-9M.

Another feature is the target detector/fuse section with its bigger detector windows. Mostly having the same colour as the GCS.

GCS and target detector section of an AIM-9M-8:

hires_070528-N-9928E-106_zpse9d381e0.jpg

The Lima's detector has snaller windows. Mostly having the same colour as the missile body (grey).

On early Limas the target detector was left unpainted, sporting a significantly lighter (silver/alu) shade than the GCS.

GCS and target detector of an AIM-9L/I:

AIM-9L-I1__AIM-010_zps14520d29.jpg

Erik

Edited by Airfixer

AIM-9 Lima and Mike have a stenciling applied to the seeker section, indicating both version and configuration of the missile, eg. "9M-9". "9M" = AIM-9M.

Another feature is the target detector/fuse section with its bigger detector windows. Mostly having the same colour as the GCS.

GCS and target detector section of an AIM-9M-8:

hires_070528-N-9928E-106_zpse9d381e0.jpg

The Lima's detector has snaller windows. Mostly having the same colour as the missile body (grey).

On early Limas the target detector was left unpainted, sporting a significantly lighter (silver/alu) shade than the GCS.

GCS and target detector of an AIM-9L/I:

AIM-9L-I1__AIM-010_zps14520d29.jpg

Erik

Excellent Info Erik!

Thank U!!

You'll need to distinguish between U.S. manufactured missiles and ones built under license. U.S. built Limas kept the TDD in natural metal, they also lacked the red-brown stripe around the seeker section that is visible on the picture Erik posted. The Lima was also supplanted surprisingly quickly in U.S. service by the Mike, and the Limas sold off to allied nations who wanted something better than the AIM-9J/P series.

Regards,

Murph

Without getting too far into the weeds, here are the differences between the AIM-9L & -9M

Guidance Control Groups (GCG):

AIM-9L used the AN/DSQ-29, while the -9M uses the WGU-4. The seeker dome was about 2.7" in diameter and 1" long. The following 2 1/8" was unpainted. The rest of this section was also unpainted, but anodized, resulting in a variety of colors ranging from dark olive green to much lighter gray-green (but NOT black!). The seeker domes were an opaque gray color that also appear to have varied somewhat from batch to batch. I don't think the color of the seeker dome was missile-dependent.

Target Detecting Device (TDD):

The earlier AIM-9D/G/H used the Mk 15 TDD with 7/8"-dia windows. The DSU-15 TDD with 1 1/4"-dia. windows was introduced with the AIM-9L and also used by the AIM-9M. (The picture above was probably a static display and not an operational round). They were unpainted and a dark metallic color (MM burnt metal or steel are probably close).

Warhead:

Both missiles used the WDU-17 warhead.

Motor:

Before 1982, AIM-9Ls used the WHITE-painted Mod 6 used by the AIM-9D/G/H (including missiles carried by Operation EAGLE CLAW F-4Ns in 1980 and British Harriers during the 1982 Falklands War where the Limas did all their killing save for the two kills by a Saudi F-15C during Operation DESERT STORM). Its brown motor band was located 3" behind the connecting ring.

In December 1982, the GRAY-painted Mk 36 Mod 7 became the first motor designed to be used with the AIM-9L. Its brown motor band was located 5" behind the connecting ring.

The Mk 36 Mod 8 introduced a removable T-handle on the bottom of the motor for the arm-safe selector (this also resulted in the brown motor band being moved aft to start 11.5" aft of the connecting ring).

The Mk 36 Mod 9 was the first motor used by the AIM-9M. In May 1984, permanently installed T-handles were mandated, with the modified Mk 8 motors becoming Mod 10s and Mk 9s becoming Mod 11s. (BTW, few, if any Mod 9s reached the fleet before being modified as Mod 11s.)

So, the main difference you're likely to notice between the two missiles is the color of the motor (maybe).

Many thanks for the elaborate answer Jim.

My brain is in the verge of melting with all that information. I'll have to study it carefully to assimilate it.

Deviating a bit from my own question, could someone please tell me what is the purpose of those windows in the Target Detecting Device? What are they needed for? :blink:

Best regards,

Jorge.

Edited by f4h1phantom

Many thanks for the elaborate answer Jim.

My brain is in the verge of melting with all that information. I'll have to study it carefully to assimilate it.

Deviating a bit from my own question, could someone please tell me what is the purpose of those windows in the Target Detecting Device? What are they needed for? blink.gif

Best regards,

Jorge.

Hola Jorge!

The windows consists of four laser-emitter diodes and four light-sensor diodes arranged around the outside of the missile TDD, When the Sidewinder is in flight, the detector is constantly emitting laser beams in a spoke pattern around the missile, when the Sidewinder gets close enough to the target, the laser beams will reflect off the aircraft body and bounce back to the sensor diodes. The control system recognizes that the missile is right next to the target and triggers the warhead...

Regards.-