ST: Deep Space Nine station scale?

I recently purchased an AMT Star Trek Deep Space Nine station model kit. This model kit is molded all in clear plastic. The scale on the box says that the station is 1/3300 scale. Is this correct? A lot of other sources I've read on the Net say the station model is 1/2500 scale, 1/2800, or thereabouts.

I also want to find starships that are the same scale as the station so I can have starships docked at all the arms of the station. But finding compatable scale starships is also becoming a problem. I need help with the scales. I don't know what is correct and what isn't.

Part of the problem with scaling DS9 is that the reference material has the measurements all over the place, including the station. For the most part, the smaller 1/2500 ships work with the station, leave off anything bigger than an Excelsior-class and it will look fine. Starship Modeler has a Star Trek scale list on their site to help out.

When the original kit first came out it said it was 1/2500 scale but that proved wrong and now they have narrowed it down to 1/3300 scale. As mentioned adding any 1/2500 ships won't work, except for the 1/2500 Klingon Bird of Prey since they had various sizes of that ship in 'reality'. Your best bet is find some Sci-Fi gaming minatures to use in filling up the various airlocks and docking ports.

Jari

Why don't you indulge your imagination, and build a few from scratch (and bits from your spares box). Size & shape are really irrelevant, as long as they look OK tethered to your DS9. The objective is to have fun. Good luck.

George, out................

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure you want to have all the pylons and the ports on the docking ring filled? All during the series you never saw every point occupied. This could be due to traffic flow or a malfunction at a docking point or pylon. Beside in my opinion it would look a bit bizzare with all those things sticking out in every direction, sort of like an old style T.V. antenna.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure you want to have all the pylons and the ports on the docking ring filled? All during the series you never saw every point occupied. This could be due to traffic flow or a malfunction at a docking point or pylon. Beside in my opinion it would look a bit bizzare with all those things sticking out in every direction, sort of like an old style T.V. antenna.

Toward the end of the series during the Khardassian war most of the ports and docks were full with Klingon craft of all sort in orbit around the station as well. I can see how it would be a bit too much though.

Edited by Ol Crew Dog