Would anyone have any head modelling idea's? Who sells 1/12 heads?

I believe a lot (perhaps most?) of the action figures are 1/12 scale. I'd find a good 6" figure with a suitable head and modify from there. Plus they can be cheap if you scrounge around toy departments. Just an idea.

Bill

Yes that big one ( for 1/6 gemini astronaut ) is also printed In high detail frost , i need only good fatfree clean surface , one time layer primer was enough for this vizior , the little one 1/12 i do now , i show you over 2 weeks end result

• 2 months later...

I'm back from sea, & I have set to work in my few weeks off on repairing & completing my current builds.

I have gone over Neil's visor with a better reflection in his face shield. I even have a small us flag decal (reversed) that was on the LM in the reflection.

Made Buzz a new base, just needs a little painting. Should get my 1/6 Gene Cernan soon :yahoo:

IMG_4600IMG_4601IMG_4603IMG_4602

Also fixed up Al's reflection.

IMG_4606 (1)IMG_4608 (1)IMG_4607IMG_4605 (1)

This is a crude paint up of the base & Astronaut. I will set to work fixing & weathering him to the last EVA state of grittiness. I've had several problems with this 3D LR kit, one of the most annoying being the top support arms for the wheel motors are warping with a sag, not due to the weight of the model, but I suspect the heat of Darwin, some days 32 degrees (90 Frhrenheit) and also could be the printing process as well. I have replaced nearly all of them with brass rods, which has sorted it.

IMG_4629

I need to find more NASA meatball & US flags for my builds, could anyone help with this?? :thumbsup:/>

Enjoy

Edited by ApolloMan
  • 1 month later...

Here is the new 1/6 Capt Gene Cernan, last man to walk on the moon. I made the base, though it does come with a stand. It's very similar to the Buzz Aldrin. Both boots are hard plastic not rubber, the glove gauntlets are attached this time. The bubble helmet is in 2 parts which do not hold together well, but once the LEVA is added is fine. The hoses are better, but still missing is the comms cable. I did have to bulk him up, just with a few layers of bubble wrap.

IMG_4674IMG_4673IMG_4671

Edited by ApolloMan

Thanks for the breakdown of the figure!

By coincidence I received my signed copy of the book "The Last Man on the Moon", by Gene Cernan.

I already have the older Dragon figures and would like to pick this one up as well, but that $200+ price tag is keeping me from pushing the launch button...

This figure does look good, though. I may eventually order it, hopefully on sale somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Well he was is a little pricey, but I just had to get one before the prices went crazy. The Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin figure is still out there and are so hard to find, and too costly. My Last man on the moon base is now complete, now I just need to give him some moon dust and some small alterations.

Edited by ApolloMan
  • 5 months later...

I have done some more work on my figure with some Moon dusting, Ok I wish real moon dust. The next best thing was, I shaved a 2B led pencil into a small bowl, and using a brush applied the graphite to the areas that needed it. Before this I tried bursts of spray paint at a distance, which worked well, but I could not dare go any further with that process. So led to create the grime Capt Gene Cernan had after 3 EVA's was fine.

IMG_0421IMG_0417IMG_0423

Edited by ApolloMan

Oooo-o-o ... the weathering is EX-cell-ent!!

I think I would've been quite apprehensive to splash all that 'soot' on him because it's such a nice model ... but Mick, you did a lovely, subtle job on this!

Cernan wore another pouch on his right shin and had his sample bag and harness on the PLSS ... were those part of the kit and if not, do you plan on installing them too?

The details of the kit are remarkable ... the LEVA, the Chest pack and its attaching clips ... wow, I'd say, worth the $$$!

Thanx for posting these pix!

Pete

Thanks Pete, eventually I will get around to adding these. I'll need to purchase some similar material and make them up. I would like to put the hammer away in the leg pouch as I have been told it's inaccurate. Also I'll need to find good reference pictures of the back pack pouch and straps.

The LEVA I need to look at aswell, the gold visor needs the white trim, and the clear needs attention also. Tool straps will be added to helmet, and another hose from back PLSS for communications coupling.

It is a very nice figure, and yes we'll worth it. I will have to do the same soot work on my Buzz, but not to the extremes of Gene.

• 3 months later...

Thanks Cracker's & Pete, It's been a while, but here is my newly completed Lunar Rover Vehicle. LR-2 from Apollo 16. Big thanks to Ron Shinkle for helping me out with this one.

IMG_4881

IMG_4889IMG_4890

Edited by ApolloMan

Well ... this doesn't look like the 1/32 EVA Models kit ... those wheels ... I can see through them ... is this a 3D Vincent Meens product? ( I don't recall ... )

The way you've posed it is terrific! Showing off the 4 wheel steering mechanism, and the seat up to show the stowage area ... the reflection on the visor ... the cables and wiring ... all look great! ... even the brush looks like real hairs, nice painting work Mick!! :worship:/>

I'm gonna have another look! :rolleyes:/>

Pete

I just went back to see that it's a 1/12 scale ... Holey Schmitt ... that's BIG!

Edited by K2Pete

Hello Mick,

congratulation to this masterpiece, it's really an incredible work, and so I can only raise my hat. hi.gif

How good that I have found your picture with the size comparison.

IMG_4555_zpsmfwwffxc.jpg

:jaw-dropping:Standing ovation!!! 00003423.gif

Now I imagine a bottle of whisky and just say

Cheers! x_prost_glenni.gif

RolandChayerByeByeSmiley.gif